PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Peterson - "NFL Players Work in Modern Day Slavery"

Status
Not open for further replies.
shocking ! another athlete out of touch with reality.

Now, all we need is for someone to pull a "Jeremy Roenick" and say that the fans don't matter...

A poorly worded attempt to point out that NFL players are one of very few employees who don't get to change their employer at the drop of a hat.

Actually, they do have that right. The just don't have the option of attempting employment at 31 competing franchises. Not unlike some executive "non-compete" clauses.

Never liken anything to slavery, to Hitler, or to 9/11. You just cannot spin it to look good, so nobody should try. Remove those things from the analogy toolbox.

Never liken anything to slavery, to Hitler, or to 9/11. You just cannot spin it to look good, so nobody should try. Remove those things from the analogy toolbox.

Well said. Agree 100%.

Left out Holocaust.

This is false. They CAN change their employer at the drop of the hat. There are 3 other Professional Football leagues he could choose to go to. The UFL, CFL or AFL. He just won't be paid as well.

He has a choice and I'm tired of people claiming that he doesn't.

Not to mention they can take their athletic abilities to TV on shows like Pros vs Joes and Dancing with the Stars. They could go the Bo Jackson route and try a different sport (not that he did that because of work stoppage).

Or hey they could even try looking for a job that relies on something other than their athletic abilities.

I will feel bad for them if their careers are cut short by injury but I have no sympathy for them in a work stoppage. I dont have sympathy for the owners either but that discussion is for another thread.

Left out Holocaust.

And I told my parents that their treatment of me when I was grounded was no different than the Stalinization of Russia in the 1940s. Oops. :p

only a 20 year old kid growing up in a time when we have a black President can compare geting paid millions to play a childs game to being forced to do hard labor while being beaten. i wonder what he's grandma has to say about he's stupid choice of words

She should smack his arse right in the mouth, for a stupid and dumb comment like that.

Well comments like that aren't going to help in the court of public opinion. This has potential to backfire even worse than "gotta feed my family" did.

I wonder what he calls the people that carry his bags from the bus and the airport? The ones that set up his uniform and cooks his meals at the facilities? If he is a slave what are they?

Well comments like that aren't going to help in the court of public opinion. This has potential to backfire even worse than "gotta feed my family" did.

If it goes to a jury court, then it has the potential to really backfire..

I wonder what he calls the people that carry his bags from the bus and the airport? The ones that set up his uniform and cooks his meals at the facilities? If he is a slave what are they?
You didn't read the very next sentence after the 'slavery' quote, did you?

I'm not trying to single you out; my guess is that 99% of the people worldwide that have formed an opinion about Peterson have done so based on the headline, and without reading the full interview.

I'm not trying to single you out; my guess is that 99% of the people worldwide that have formed an opinion about Peterson have done so based on the headline, and without reading the full interview.

I read the whole thing and, to be honest, the 2nd sentence makes the first even worse because he didn't state he was referring to people outside the US. And, as others pointed out, he's pretty hypocritical to say it based on the fact that Nike is known to use the equivalent of slave labor in many of its factories.

And I think that PM's question is still very valid. Even more so when you consider the second sentence.

BTW, I consider it a total slap in the face that AP would consider his situation the equivalent of a blue collar workers.

While I can understand the fustration that the players must feel, as an African American I feel there is no place for such a reference.

I read the whole thing and, to be honest, the 2nd sentence makes the first even worse because he didn't state he was referring to people outside the US. And, as others pointed out, he's pretty hypocritical to say it based on the fact that Nike is known to use the equivalent of slave labor in many of its factories.

And I think that PM's question is still very valid. Even more so when you consider the second sentence.

BTW, I consider it a total slap in the face that AP would consider his situation the equivalent of a blue collar workers.
I read the entire interview and came to the conclusion that he's made a misinformed comment or is an idiot. Either or IMO. Haven't seen AP hang around something like this;

India-sweatshop.jpg

Last edited:
It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than open it and remove all doubt.

Last edited:
These players really just need to keep their mouths shut and let DSmith or Kevin Mawae do the talking. Right now, a larger percentage of NFL fans side with them, saying sh!t like this is only going to swing public opinion the other way.

Last edited:
He's not the first moron to pull out the "s-word" and he won't be the last. What he's too stupid to realize is that the key difference between today and 200 years ago is more than a mere matter of money. It's the fact that no one forced him or any of the other players to play football. They are all perfectly free and welcome to pursue other lines of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back