PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: "Some of NFL believe its 95% chance Cassel will stay in New England"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Schefter: "Some of NFL believe its 95% chance Cassel will stay in New Englan

I would say Calvin Johnson was an excellent choice as one of thier previous round 1 WR selections

Problem is they never addressed the QB situation to compliment Johnson's talent who may be the best WR in the game with a competent QB

Yeah, he's the real deal. Can't say as much for their others however, though you are right. With a competent QB, it could have been a whole different team.

Re: Adam Schefter: "Some of NFL believe its 95% chance Cassel will stay in New Englan

I'm sure this has been noted already, but the "some think there's a 95% chance...." construction is really clumsy and essentially makes the whole thing pointless. It's like saying "there's a few who think there's a 70% chance it'll snow tomorrow." Huh? What?

Yeah, he's the real deal. Can't say as much for their others however, though you are right. With a competent QB, it could have been a whole different team.

Well, a competent QB would not address the problem they have on defense which is where they lost all those close games in 2008 that they should have won,Remember they had a substantial lead in a few of those games,namely the Minnesota game but the defense just let Minny go up and down the field in the 2nd half to pull it out

Losing guys like Dre Bly who I think was just coming into his own as one of the better corners in the NFL was not a good trade with Denver,although I dont think Bly has played well in the rockies but he was pretty good as a Lion

Well, a competent QB would not address the problem they have on defense which is where they lost all those close games in 2008 that they should have won,Remember they had a substantial lead in a few of those games,namely the Minnesota game but the defense just let Minny go up and down the field in the 2nd half to pull it out

Losing guys like Dre Bly who I think was just coming into his own as one of the better corners in the NFL was not a good trade with Denver,although I dont think Bly has played well in the rockies but he was pretty good as a Lion

All the more reason why three straight wide-outs with top 10 picks was a bit silly. Also the reason I would rather trade Cassel, even if Brady isn't 100% guaranteed to be ready week 1. As long as we know he's going to be back within the first four weeks, I want to get value for Cassel while it is at its peak, and parlay that value into an improved defense.

Defense can carry the team while Brady gets back into the swing of things.

That is the truth - The Patriots are handicapped in cap space Brady on the roster or no Brady this season,dont matter

No they're not. Trading brady would free up cap space. There'd be a 9.6M charge, yes, but hes already on the books for 15M. It would save 5 and a half. (assuming they kept cassel)

The only way I see Cassel kept is if hes kept long term, and that either means Brady isn't extended next year, or hes traded.

As long as we know he's going to be back within the first four weeks, I want to get value for Cassel while it is at its peak, and parlay that value into an improved defense.

Cassel has started for one year. If he is what he looks like, hes at nowhere near his peak, or his peak value.

Last edited:

No they're not. Trading brady would free up cap space. There'd be a 9.6M charge, yes, but hes already on the books for 15M. It would save 5 and a half. (assuming they kept cassel)

As Miguel has noted, the Patriots can't trade Brady before his $3M roster bonus is due, so the hit is >$12M.

Cassel has started for one year. If he is what he looks like, hes at nowhere near his peak, or his peak value.

The thing is, no one knows what's going to happen in 2010, but we know there's a severe dearth of quality QBs available (hence the "Hot Young QB Emporium" quip) this year.

I could see things going either way, but I'm on the record as saying the Pats can't keep Cassel at the franchise number.

The thing is, no one knows what's going to happen in 2010, but we know there's a severe dearth of quality QBs available (hence the "Hot Young QB Emporium" quip) this year.

Not only that, but I'm of the opinion that Cassel is not going to play much this year, and sitting as a backup all season is going to depreciate his value, simply due to him having shown nothing more but being a year older. It may not depreciate it by that much, but it will go down in that scenario.

The only way I see Cassel kept is if hes kept long term, and that either means Brady isn't extended next year, or hes traded.

12M is quite a bit of cap space lost no matter how you look at it,Imagine what players can be signed or resigned with that money

Regardless,Brady will NOT be traded - End of story

Last edited:

12M is quite a bit of cap space lost no matter how you look at it,Imagine what players can be signed or resigned with that money

Regardless,Brady will NOT be traded - End of story

No one ever said he would. Like I said though, if Cassel stays this year, its not going to be at 14M. Its going to be during a long term deal, which pretty much would guarantee that brady doesn't get extended.

I could see them keeping Cassel and trading Brady.

Are you guys high???? This is one of the greatest QB's of all time that we are talking about that is STILL in his prime and should by all reports, be ready to go DAY 1 of regular season......and you think there is a scenario where they trade him and keep cassel....who let's be honest....could very well be a one year wonder.....(Shhhh...!!!) No way.....Cassel will be on the block and I wish him well........

It's all about posturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft