PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: "Some of NFL believe its 95% chance Cassel will stay in New England"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Schefter: "Some of NFL believe its 95% chance Cassel will stay in New Englan

quarterbacks are hard to find. you don't just deal pro bowl caliber guys, even when you have tom brady. i wonder if we're being set up for something long term here.... and wow, can you imagine at this time last year brady would conceive of himself playing with pressure coming from his bench during the end of his career...

Re: Adam Schefter: "Some of NFL believe its 95% chance Cassel will stay in New Englan

If cassel leaves are the patriots for sure going out and signing a big name FA? If its not a sure thing, then I would rather just keep cassel, knowing that we can still sign rookies and extend some of our key players like seymour and green.

quarterbacks are hard to find. you don't just deal pro bowl caliber guys, even when you have tom brady. i wonder if we're being set up for something long term here.... and wow, can you imagine at this time last year brady would conceive of himself playing with pressure coming from his bench during the end of his career...

Yes, you do. That said, Cassel may or may not be Pro Bowl-caliber, and even if he is, you'd prefer to turn him into players who will actually be on the field.

To me, it's not about the cap (you can maneuver around it to some degree, at least for one year), to me it's about building a TEAM for years to come, not just for 2009.

Cassel gives us the best backup QB we can get for the 2009 season. Great insurance for Brady.

Trading him could potentially net us an additional 1st rounder, which could improve our defense for the next ten.

Unless they KNOW Brady isn't coming back, they're not going to pass up the opportunity to add that kind of value just to make sure they have a backup QB in 2009.

cassel is gone.........just watch

K,

Sorry, the Rookies cost almost NOTHING, against the Cap; when you have 51 players signed. The Pats have 50. As a matter of fact signing rookies will actually free up Cap Space. Rookie contracts are cheap, and every rookie you keep means a higher priced vet that you don't keep.

The $3.9 million or so is what's available for our FAs, that we want, not our rookies. Most are vet minimums if you notice. And more than half won't be invited back, in any case. Worry about Wright, Woods and Gaffeny only. It would certainly help to re-sign and extend Seymour and Green. If we did, the CAP room would go up to $10,000,000 or more.

Miguel already includes Green's option bonus so it is only the remaining portion of his contract we are concerned with. Plus we may extend him and open up even more CAP space.

Cassel plus rookies = no more cap room maybe 2-3 million which BB would not want to enter a season with. I read you silliness of a contract to save money on Seymour but it just does not make the cut. Even with restructures of a couple of guys might free up some money but not as much as Cassel would.

This is meaningless. What does "some" mean? A handful or a majority? If there are 5 people in the NFL out there who believes it's a 95% chance, what does that translate to?

Adam is one of the best in the business.[/url]

No. Adam Schefter is a PR shill for the NFL who is spoon-fed what the league wants people to know. All this nonsense you see on NFL Network about him getting late-breaking "scoops on his Blackberry" (Blackberry is an NFL sponsor, by the way) is orchestrated show-biz. Speculation of the sort around Cassel is just fluff Schefter throws out to maintain the charade of being a "journalist." Schefter is a one-man dog and pony show for the NFL-owned NFL Network, his place of employment.

Last edited:

You, and other posters here echoing these same sentiments, assume that the Pats and Cassel are simply going to do the one-and-done scenario, at 14+ mill.

That's not necessarily going to be the case.

If Belichick has it in his mind to stay with this guy into the future (and why not? He's stuck with him this far), the it's more than likely that a longer-term deal, with a much more cap-friendly number, will be worked out.

As a case in point, if you want to dramatically increase your current net worth, let your insurance expire, and you'll have a lot more cash to spend. Of course, if something happens in the interim....

That is what Cassel is - a real good insurance policy. The Pats proved that to everybody by tagging him. Cassel apparently likes that idea, since he signed as quickly as he did.

While most everyone here is drooling over some fantastical draft picks that have yet to materialize, I'm not quite ready to bet the mortgage on O'Donnell as the team's insurance policy. He may very well be the 2nd coming of Terry Bradshaw...or Tom Brady! But I'm not ready to place the faith of the saints in the kid should anything untoward happen to Brady, and neither should the Patriots' brain trust.

Gotta edit here....

Sure, the 14 M cap space will still be taken up, but as others have demonstrated, it's not beyond the pale to see some serious restructuring going on, so affordability, IMHO, is not the issue.

He may still go, but I really think they Pats want to keep hime around for a while, and I'm sure Cassel feels the same way.

Neil O'Donnell is the insurance policy at QB ?? :eek:

Isn't he like 55 years old now? :eek:

No. Adam Schefter is a PR shill for the NFL who is spoon-fed what the league wants people to know. All this nonsense you see on NFL Network about him getting late-breaking "scoops on his Blackberry" (Blackberry is an NFL sponsor, by the way) is orchestrated show-biz. Speculation of the sort around Cassel is just fluff Schefter throws out to maintain the charade of being a "journalist." Schefter is a one-man dog and pony show for the NFL-owned NFL Network, his place of employment.

That's exactly right, and I've been saying this for a long time. The NFL has a vested interest in Adam Schefter being the "GO TO" guy with all this info. He gets info before others not because he's Adam Schefter the great reporter, but because he's Adam Schefter the NFL Employee that needs to feed and push the Web Site and NFL Network.

Get ready for all the annoying "Life in the day of Adam Schefter" during Free Agency. It's stupid and scripted.

Last edited:

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but I'm in the camp of people thinking there's a good possibility that Matt stays a Pat. If it were MY team, under THESE circumstance, I'd want to keep him around. The Pats, although not DOMINATING, were at least above average in most aspects of the game, including running, defense, STs. You guys have some second year guys that could pay dividends in '09 as well. Let's face the POSSIBILITY that Tom doesn't make it back fully healthy. Maybe the injury affects him more than some of you are prepared to admit. And you're right, maybe he's absolutely fine in '09. BUT Cassel has proven he CAN lead this team, and without a solid QB the Pats would be in a heap of trouble. It all comes down to how much BB trusts your other backup QBs. Why trade away a proven commodity when their is still plenty of uncertainty about Brady? I could see if the Pats were dreadful on D or on their O-line or some other facet of their game, but not sure your weaknesses are enough to warrant the potential HUGE hit that having an O'Donnell (for example) under center would have. Just my two cents. As many of you have said, alot of this hinges on how the team perceives Brady's recovery, but I still think there's just as many reasons to KEEP Matt then to trade him.

Well said. :ditto:

Harrison should retire.

Of those, I would only keep Wright, Gaffney, Evans, Hochstein, and Sanders.

I'm ambivalent about Izzo.

I agree that those are the important ones..

Harrison is still usefull, but he will be offered short money to play a reduced roll. If he walks, it will be a hit, but not a big one. He is at the end of his career and lately has given us a starter for about 30% of the games each season when he isn't injured.

Gaffney would be a fool to take more money elsewhere. He is a product of this team and will not stand out on another team. If he leaves, he will be committing career suicide for a few extra bucks. Besides, he has a better chance of getting a ring with us this year.

If Hanson walks, I will not shed a tear. He is ok, but hardly worth losing sleep over.

At least he doesn't work for ESPN, drumming up old cheating stories to continue to give it to the Patriots whenever possible.

I'll take an NFL Network "PR shill" anytime over that!

Neil O'Donnell is the insurance policy at QB ?? :eek:

Isn't he like 55 years old now? :eek:

Oh, at least 100 by now!:D

Sorry. I should have caught that before posting, but my wife was calling me to remind me "24" was coming up, and she shamelessly bribed me with a beer!:eek:

I'm innocent, I tell you!!!:p

Oh, at least 100 by now!:D

Sorry. I should have caught that before posting, but my wife was calling me to remind me "24" was coming up, and she shamelessly bribed me with a beer!:eek:

I'm innocent, I tell you!!!:p

thread-hijack.jpg

What did you think of the episode?

thread-hijack.jpg

What did you think of the episode?

As usual, superbly done.

Quite simply, I love the show! I love everything about Jack Bauer!

Last year, because of the writers' strike, I suffered withdrawal symptoms! But now I'm back on track.

How do you think they'll get ahold of Dubaku? Think Mr. Taylor will survive? Do you think the president's chief of staff is one of the bad guys? And what will happen to Tony Almeida?

Ahhh, so may subplots!!!!

After Deus responds, I gratefully and somewhat apologetically return this thread to it's original path!

I could see them keeping Cassel and trading Brady.

Yup, as soon as Matt Millen is hired to run the show.

Yup, as soon as Matt Millen is hired to run the show.

We'd probably trade Brady for three high-talent low-brains wide receivers.

We'd probably trade Brady for three high-talent low-brains wide receivers.

I would say Calvin Johnson was an excellent choice as one of thier previous round 1 WR selections

Problem is they never addressed the QB situation to compliment Johnson's talent who may be the best WR in the game with a competent QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back