PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

According to this columnist, Lynch is likely to be re-signed next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other tidbit in this article is that the Patriots may be trying to

free up money to get a cornerback.

1) The article is wrong on how much money Lynch was due. I'll take Miguel and his sources over that rag.

2) The Patriots don't need to free up money. They already have just shy of 6 million in free space. Ty Law better not get more than a million against the cap because he's not worth more than that.

Not sure Jones is eligible...and he's needed..more to replace Faulk returning kicks than Welker directly...Jones will stay for game 1...

I don't trust CJ Jones as a returner, as he seemed to have a fumbling issue during this preseason. Slater is a much better option at KR, and NE has other players who I'd rather see return punts if Welker is out.

I don't know how much to read into this sports reporter but he allegedly says a guy he knows with info regarding NE says Lynch was cut today to end his guaranteed salary 1.5M contract and the team is taking a risk that Lynch will still be around next week as to offer a 1 year contract probably lower and with no guarantee at that time - That is if the Jets are not opt to sign him before then

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/08/lynch_likely_to_resign_with_pa.html

Its this is true,its pretty risky if you ask me and even if he is still around by then will he agree to play for vet minimum which is what I think will be on the table as the offer to him if no one is interested in Lynch by next weekend

Don't they still have the rule where the Pats could pay him more than the vet minimum but he would only count as the vet minimum against the cap? A win/win for both sides that way.

It won't work, someone will sign him before next week.

I swear to God, sometimes I'm not sure people are actually watching the games they claim to be. How many tackles did Lynch have against the Giants? 10? I seem to remember him playing hard and well while he was here. They didn't cut him because he stunk. They cut him because he's too expensive for an old veteran.

The number of people on this board who think they know more about football than the entire Patriots organization is stunning. Stunning. This is a team with a staff who led us to more victories than any other team in NFL history last season. Despite that, everyone thinks they're smart enough to second-guess this team's personnel decisions. Give me a break.

Anyway...

I don't think we'll be signing Law. The Pats seem to be focused on increasing team speed, especially in the secondary (that is why we drafted so many CBs this year; Lynch had a specific role to play--I don't think they were going to throw him into coverage much) and grabbing an old cornerback isn't going to help us in that regard. So it doesn't seem to fit with their overall strategy at all. Especially not for the money that Law probably wants. It's true that you never know, but he isn't the same player anymore.

And the argument that he "knows our system" doesn't hold much water, as I doubt our "system" is the same it was all those years ago. This is the NFL, and you can't keep throwing the same schemes at opponents every year, because they will adjust.

Lynch has a place on this team. It is the same place that Tank Williams occupied before he went on the IR. To say otherwise seems a bit foolish; I don't think he was here to take over the job from James Sanders or Rodney Harrison. Like every other Patriot, he was signed for a specific role. It looks like they were interested in using him in goal-line/short yardage situations, where he could come in as a hybrid linebacker/safety. It's certainly how he lined up during the preseason.

I know I'm not the only person who utilizes reason when making statements about this football team, but on this board, it surely seems like it. Not saying I'm right on everything, but then, that statement alone seems to differentiate me from a lot of people here.

Great post.........stick around,we need dispassionate analysis like this.

He was'nt with any team at the start of training camp, so they had to offer him a carrot so to speak to get him off his couch, to then cut him, to then offer him the vet min. That's pretty corporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back