PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is the big issue. One of the things that made this offense so hard to defend was the complicated schemes. Now it might be a hindrance for the team rather than a benefit. I don't think it is worth getting a high priced free agent or high draft pick WR if they have a complicated offense because the odds are not good enough that they will pick up the offense.

I have always been a proponent of not changing the playbook, but I think this year they might have to make it simpler.
They did make it simpler last yr. More emphasis on running the ball. This yr, the oline has been so off the charts out of sync with people being subbed till the 4th game of the season, not really sure what the playbook is. They have had a chance to see what is working.

to me, Reiss coming out with a "conflicting story" that it was all for football-reasons is just the team trying to cover their tracks because they look bad.

you are trying to tell me it was a "football reason" to go into a game with the gameplan of spreading out the opposing team. and you inactivate your 2 best outside receivers?

Maybe true about the protection. But they need to take some shots deep, even if it means max protect. They can't play in a 15 yard box all year. Dobson is the only guy with real hope of being a prototypical deep threat on this squad.
They did. In the chiefs game , the protected with 8 to throw deep in coverage vs 6DBs and was intercepted. Doesnt matter who you have the WR , if 8 people have to block 5 then the chances of a completion vs 6 defenders is minimal.

Benching Welker in the playoffs was one of the few things Belichick has ever done I've genuinely had a problem with. I wonder if we're running that asinine screen pass for BJGE, one of the worst receiving backs ever to come through here, if Welker is in the game.

The Dobson move would be on par if true. Reiss' two cents matter, too, though I should say SMY has proven she has sources in the team. And to be quite honest, I'm not sure Reiss has.
SMY was the first to report on the change in the starting offensive line and she got it completely right. Reiss has, in the past, made allusions to moves that could happen then they happen a few days later. I think he has sources, too. He obviously has been more in line with the Pats than other media members and he's been rewarded by the Pats. He is on their Hall of Fame selection committee.

It seems to me that there is a leadership vortex on this team. The team itself isn't "geling", or teamworking, and that example isn't being well set from the coaching staff. Dictating and benching will only get you so far. If you cannot listen to your players and address their concerns like a rational adult, your players are going to feel marginalized. McDaniels may have made a HoF game plan for all we know, because not many players there seem particularly motivated to run it as written. I think Belichick needs to sit McDaniels down and remove the chip from his shoulder that is preventing him from getting along with this team. Don't get me wrong, Dobson shouldn't be mouthing off in practice, but McDaniels shouldn't be letting it get that far in the first place. It takes two to tango.

Benching Welker in the playoffs was one of the few things Belichick has ever done I've genuinely had a problem with. I wonder if we're running that asinine screen pass for BJGE, one of the worst receiving backs ever to come through here, if Welker is in the game.

The Dobson move would be on par if true. Reiss' two cents matter, too, though I should say SMY has proven she has sources in the team. And to be quite honest, I'm not sure Reiss has.

I still think Reiss may be right. I still wonder if he just doesn't have the speed with his foot. A lot of players are just not at 100% when they come back from injuries (look at Gronk and Vollmer on this team this year), but some can play through it and others can't. A speed WR without 100% of his speed and mobility back may struggle more than a RT who is playing at 80% or a elite TE playing at 70%.

I have always been a proponent of not changing the playbook, but I think this year they might have to make it simpler.

I think Belichick has done a lot of tinkering all camp and into the season to see where guys can play. Ideally he wants a 34, and he wants a complex offensive system. And he wants OL that can play anywhere.

Belichick probably figured this was the easiest part of the schedule and if there was a time to do it, it was now. Unfortunately, we dropped 2 games, including a divisional one, and the answer in most cases was that we're trying to fit square pegs in round holes (CJ inside, Collins in 34, Amendola anywhere but slot, Devey anywhere in the starting lineup, etc., etc.)

I think all the questionable coaching decisions - of which there has likely been more in a month than cumulatively in Belichick's tenure - probably trace back to the experimentation BB has been doing. He's taking the long-view, and figured - like most of us - there was enough talent to withstand that approach. Sadly, that appears not to be the case.

Time to get back to basics, get guys in a position to succeed, and play the most talented players. Dobson should be active.

I still think Reiss may be right. I still wonder if he just doesn't have the speed with his foot. A lot of players are just not at 100% when they come back from injuries (look at Gronk and Vollmer on this team this year), but some can play through it and others can't. A speed WR without 100% of his speed and mobility back may struggle more than a RT who is playing at 80% or a elite TE playing at 70%.

Maybe - fair points. But whether its the foot or his mouth, I'd rest easier knowing there's a reason Dobson isn't playing besides he's just not getting the offensive system, or isn't earning TB's trust. He showed flashes of talent last year, and if we are going to compete this year, we will need him.

to me, Reiss coming out with a "conflicting story" that it was all for football-reasons is just the team trying to cover their tracks because they look bad.

you are trying to tell me it was a "football reason" to go into a game with the gameplan of spreading out the opposing team. and you inactivate your 2 best outside receivers?
Once again, he didnt come up with it. Someone asked him on the chat. I also dont understand this 'your 2 best outside receivers' thing . What has dobson done for this distinction ?
The gameplan which was flawed in my opinion was to throw quick and fast with minimal protection time. These two HOF WR even if they were about to stretch the field would not have seen the ball with that game plan because they wouldnt have time to get open if they at all could. They shouldve lined up and run the ball but thats a different discussion.

They did. In the chiefs game , the protected with 8 to throw deep in coverage vs 6DBs and was intercepted. Doesnt matter who you have the WR , if 8 people have to block 5 then the chances of a completion vs 6 defenders is minimal.

But it does matter if you are throwing to a 6'3 receiver who can run a 4.4 like Dobson vs. a 4.5 5'11 Edelman.

But it does matter if you are throwing to a 6'3 receiver who can run a 4.4 like Dobson vs. a 4.5 5'11 Edelman.
Surrounded by 6 dbs ?

Given that there were 2 reports that tied Dobson's inactive status to his struggling at practice before the "mouthed off" rumor came out, you might want to re-think your post.

And that's not even getting into the "2 best outside receivers" part.

It's Tyms time. We have nothing to lose. At this point nobody , not name Edelman, is lighting up the world. It cant get much worst than monday night. He seems to have the right attitude. Things are a mess, lets throw caution to the wind.

The rumor is that the Titans may look to part with Justin Hunter but not for a conditional pick but a mid round pick and Admendola? Might get it done.
I don't know about why he is struggling with the Titans but I know he is ridiculously talented.
His ceiling is Jeremy Macklin his floor is Chad Jackson.
I'd be willing to ship Danny A and a fourth to find out.

The rumor is that the Titans may look to part with Justin Hunter but not for a conditional pick but a mid round pick and Admendola? Might get it done.
I don't know about why he is struggling with the Titans but I know he is ridiculously talented.

Link?

Surrounded by 6 dbs ?

6, of course not. But double coverage, sure. I can remember Dobson breaking up a couple INTs last year, IIRC. Size makes him a safer target in traffic on deeper throws.

6, of course not. But double coverage, sure. I can remember Dobson breaking up a couple INTs last year, IIRC. Size makes him a safer target in traffic on deeper throws.
Yes but we are not there this yr. This line cant protect with 5 linemen for a long developing play.

Everyone is talented until they join the pats. Then they cant grasp the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News