PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who didn't know Seymour was injured? Most players in the league are playing through something. No team is going to make up an excuse list for every player, so if you can play,you play, if not you sit.

If you can play through multiple injuries, but not through getting your feelings hurt by message boards and the media, you need to stop reading them.

He missed some games, so it was obvious, but he was still pissed that he couldn't let out just how seriously hurt he was. He felt like Bill's policy made him look like a wuss.

I really don't understand the obsession with trying to "figure out" why Dobson is inactive. What difference does it make? Bottom line: regardless of the specifics (physical limitations, special teams contributions, etc), the coaches have decided that other players have earned game day roster spots over him. Belichick isn't going to tell us why a player isn't active, so why bother guessing?

It is what it is... Doesn't make the player a bad person. Doesn't mean the player won't, at some other point in time, be a significant contributor on the active roster.

He missed some games, so it was obvious, but he was still pissed that he couldn't let out just how seriously hurt he was. He felt like Bill's policy made him look like a wuss.

I posted about it all the time, so it was in the media. do you expect belichick to make a list and a press conference about which players have nagging injuries, are really hurt, aren't hut much at all, et cetera?

I don't think it's likely.

I posted about it all the time, so it was in the media. do you expect belichick to make a list and a press conference about which players have nagging injuries, are really hurt, aren't hut much at all, et cetera?

I don't think it's likely.

Agreed. I just posted it as evidence that NE can be less than forthcoming about injuries at times.

I really don't understand the obsession with trying to "figure out" why Dobson is inactive. What difference does it make? Bottom line: regardless of the specifics (physical limitations, special teams contributions, etc), the coaches have decided that other players have earned game day roster spots over him. Belichick isn't going to tell us why a player isn't active, so why bother guessing?

It is what it is... Doesn't make the player a bad person. Doesn't mean the player won't, at some other point in time, be a significant contributor on the active roster.

I agree, except with difficult things like foot injuries, it would be instructive to know if that is an issue.
There are no guaranteed spots in the NFL, you have to earn it every year.

Agreed. I just posted it as evidence that NE can be less than forthcoming about injuries at times.

As in all times? :) I agree with your sentiments and have been a champion of Seymour and others playing through serious injuries, but Belichick wouldn't even reveal injuries if he wasn't required to. It gives the opposition a body part to shoot at, as cruel as that sounds.

On a semi-related matter, in one of the last two all access shows, they have a gronkowski interview, where they ask him about ward shooting for his knees and gronk mentions how he has to consciously lift his feet (and knees) up while running and lower his pads into contact to protect himself and dish out, rather than receive punishment.

Not threadworthy, but i did broach the subject and remarked how i noticed this, so I'll pat myself on the back now.:cool:

I really don't understand the obsession with trying to "figure out" why Dobson is inactive. What difference does it make? Bottom line: regardless of the specifics (physical limitations, special teams contributions, etc), the coaches have decided that other players have earned game day roster spots over him. Belichick isn't going to tell us why a player isn't active, so why bother guessing?.

Because this is a sports forum, and it is filled with people who are curious as to the "why".

Dobson wasn't that amazing last year, so I don't find it surprising he hasn't played much this year.

He got thrust into a role he (and Boyce) weren't ready for last year resulting in some moderate production. But hell, Reche Caldwell had production. He needs to prove he's more than just some guy who can play okay if everyone else is injured, and he apparently has only proved that's exactly what he is.

Dobson wasn't that amazing last year, so I don't find it surprising he hasn't played much this year.

After 10 games last year Dobson had 35 catches for 487 yards and 4TDs. He got hurt during the CAR game and had 2 catches for 27 yards the rest of the way and missed a number of games as well. In theory, if he had kept up his pace, he would have finished w 779yds and 56 catches. That is an outstanding rookie year.

He got thrust into a role he (and Boyce) weren't ready for last year resulting in some moderate production. But hell, Reche Caldwell had production.

Dobson was a helluva lot more NFL ready- and productive than Boyce. Why was he thrusted in the role? If the coaching staff didn't think he was ready they wouldn't have put him out there and deactivated him- just like now.

Caldwell had 4 NFL seasons under his belt and had established himself as a decent 3rd WR in this league. Comparing him a Dobson doesn't make any sense.

He needs to prove he's more than just some guy who can play okay if everyone else is injured, and he apparently has only proved that's exactly what he is.
Whats the difference between producing when someone is hurt and producing when someone isn't?

Clearly something is up with Dobson. Maybe he is still not 100% healthy? Maybe he is so far behind and guys in practice are getting the reps and he is not. Don't know.

After 10 games last year Dobson had 35 catches for 487 yards and 4TDs. He got hurt during the CAR game and had 2 catches for 27 yards the rest of the way and missed a number of games as well. In theory, if he had kept up his pace, he would have finished w 779yds and 56 catches. That is an outstanding rookie year.

It's really not that spectacular (less than 50 yards per game), especially considering he was handed the keys to the kingdom with a HOF QB, Gronk AWOL, Hern in prison, Welker on the Broncos, and the only options being basically him and Edelman. Lafell (3rd rd pick) had near identical numbers as a rookie as a third receiver. Dobson was starting games.

Dobson was a helluva lot more NFL ready- and productive than Boyce. Why was he thrusted in the role? If the coaching staff didn't think he was ready they wouldn't have put him out there and deactivated him- just like now.

Because they didn't have many options. Who were they gonna play?

Caldwell had 4 NFL seasons under his belt and had established himself as a decent 3rd WR in this league. Comparing him a Dobson doesn't make any sense.

It makes perfect sense because when forced to start he put up Dobson production and he was a sub par receiver. Proving that sub par receivers can produce if thrust into starting positions. BB didn't come back the next season and start Caldwell when he got a better player. There's just as much reason if not more to think Dobson is the next Caldwell instead of the next Gordon or whatever.

Whats the difference between producing when someone is hurt and producing when someone isn't?

The difference is you get to play even if your not better than the guy in front of you.

Clearly something is up with Dobson. Maybe he is still not 100% healthy? Maybe he is so far behind and guys in practice are getting the reps and he is not. Don't know.

Or maybe he's not that good. I don't know either. I don't think it's surprising he's behind Gronk, Edelman, Lafell, Wright, etc. because he was never in front of them when they were here and healthy.

It's really not that spectacular (less than 50 yards per game), especially considering he was handed the keys to the kingdom with a HOF QB, Gronk AWOL, Hern in prison, Welker on the Broncos, and the only options being basically him and Edelman. Lafell (3rd rd pick) had near identical numbers as a rookie as a third receiver. Dobson was starting games.

He was not spectacular. I said that he had an outstanding rookie year and was on the same par as Branch's 2002 year. I'd suggest going back and in NFL history-besides Randy Moss had Pro-Bowl years their rookie year. Not manyto choose from. Most are productive year two.

Because they didn't have many options. Who were they gonna play?
To my earlier point, if they didn't think he could produce or could help them win games, then he wouldn't be out there. Amendola, Edelman, Thompkins, Boyce, Gronk to name a few. Again, he got hurt after Week 10 in 2013. In more ways than one, that really hurt him.

It makes perfect sense because when forced to start he put up Dobson production and he was a sub par receiver. Proving that sub par receivers can produce if thrust into starting positions.

A pace of 56 catches and almost 800 yards is not sub-par.

BB didn't come back the next season and start Caldwell when he got a better player. There's just as much reason if not more to think Dobson is the next Caldwell instead of the next Gordon or whatever.
Correct because Caldwell was not better than Moss, WW, Stallworth and Gaffney. Still not relative. Different situation. Different players.

The difference is you get to play even if your not better than the guy in front of you.
You original point was production. Producing in the place of another player is more than replacing a player and doing nothing. Last season Dobson started and produced. In other games Dobson came off the bench and produced.

Or maybe he's not that good. I don't know either. I don't think it's surprising he's behind Gronk, Edelman, Lafell, Wright, etc. because he was never in front of them when they were here and healthy.

He is not behind Gronk and Wright. He is behind JE, DA, LaFell and Tymes.

What is clear that for reasons unknown, he is buried in the depth chart in 2014.

WHAT A SHOCK, Dobson a healthy scratch.

I think they're waiting for him to get healthy and don't want to rush him back (they have the luxury of waiting given how well the offense has been without him)

That's sort of what the WR coach seemed to imply: https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/529768551046193152

Do people seriously think it's because he's utter TRASH in practice?

I dunno but Tyms is starting ahead of him right now. In saying that... if Dobson dropped that brady play action in the 1st series and not tyms this forum would be in uproar.

I dunno but Tyms is starting ahead of him right now. In saying that... if Dobson dropped that brady play action in the 1st series and not tyms this forum would be in uproar.

Yup. Tyms is so 1 dimensional too. Dobson is a lot more versatile. I'd like to see him get out there next week.

Dobson was the leaker .... now he's in the abyss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back