PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A very over the top 1 round mock with trades 4/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I know this one will get a lot of fire. Its crazy, you would never think this could happen, but this mock draft it did. Just to let you know Ingram is not in the first round!!

1. Panthers- Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
Panthers were trying to get a team to move up to grab Cam Newton. It seems like a smoke screen, but since no one would move up they decide to take care of their defense first. Miller has showed a strong combine and pro day.

*TRADE*
Bronces trade pick #2 to Redskins for #10, #41, #144, and 2012 2nd.

2. Redskins- Cam Newton QB Auburn
Redskins and Broncos have a history of trading with each other. The Skins knew that if Newton fell to the Bills, the bills would take him. They move up and take the so called best QB in the draft. The reason why this makes sense is because they will trade McNabb.

3. Bills- Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
Marcell projects as a 3-4 DE in the bills system. Von Miller and Cam Newton is gone so they take the best next available on top of the need for their team.

4. Bengals- Julio Jones WR Alabama
Bengals like Jones better than Green. They surprise everyone and take Jones first. Jones had a great combine and outplayed Green.

5. Cardinals- Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
They couldnt wait any longer, they want Kolb but since this lockout they take Gabbert.

6. Browns- Robert Quinn DE UNC
The Browns are going back to the 4-3 and they need a pass rusher. Robert Quinn can get to the QB.

7. 49ers- Patrick Peterson CB LSU
The niners are very happy that Peterson fell to them. Without thinking, they send in the card for the commissioner to announce the pick.

8. Titans- Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
Titans need all the help in their defense. Da'Quan cleared the medical portion which brings him back to the top ten instead of being picked in the 20's.

*TRADE*
Cowboys trade #9 and #176 to Rams for #14,#78, and #112.

9. Rams- A.J. Green WR Georgia
Rams take a chance and grab Green before he is off the board. The Rams need to WR to compliment their QB Bradford.

*TRADE*
Broncos trade #10 to Lions for #13, #107, 2012 4th
Lions- Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
Lions need serious help in their secondary. IF Prince fell to the Texans they would snag him. The Lions trade up to address their secondary issues.

11. Texans- Nick Fairley DT Auburn
Fairley would play DE in their new 3-4 defense. Its surprising the Fairley fell and since Prince is off the board, the Texans grab Fairley.

*TRADE*
Vikings trade #12 to Chargers for #18 and #61.
12. Chargers- J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
The Chargers know that the Broncos would take JJ Watt so they trade up and grab their guy.

13. Broncos- Cameron Jordan DE Cal
Since Watt is off the board, Broncos take the next best DE off the board and on top of that stock pile draft picks.

14. Cowboys- Mike Pouncey OG Florida
I know Pouncey said he would go to the Cowboys so in this mock i decided to let him go to the Cowboys.

*TRADE*
Dolphins trade #15 to Giants for #19 and #83
15. Giants- Tyron Smith OT USC
Since Cowboys didnt take Smith they take a chance and move up to grab their LT they need to protect ELI. Also, since they were so nice allowing the Dolphins to practice on their field to play the Jets. The Dolphins decide to payback that favor.

16. Jaguars- Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
Jags are high on Kerrigan and he is the perfect fit for their defensive scheme.

17. Patriots- Aldon Smith OLB Missouri
Aldon Smith is a pass rusher and thats what the patriots need.

18. Vikings- Jake Locker QB Washington
Favre is gone and have no one under center. The Vikings grab the next best QB in the draft.

19. Dolphins- Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
The dolphins need a RB, but can address that in the later rounds. They need a QB and traded down to pick up Mallett who visited their facilities twice.

20. Buccaneers- Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
Bucs need a pass rusher and a DE that can set the edge.

21. Chiefs- Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
Chiefs need to protect their QB. They take the next best OT in the draft.

22. Colts- Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College
Colts need to protect Manning or whatever QB the have under center next season.

23. Eagles- Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
Hobbs retiring, they need help in the secondary. Smith is tall and can be a great cover corner.

24. Saints- Corey Liuget DT Illinois
Saints need help on the line and take the next best DT in the draft.

25. Seahawks- Christian Ponder QB Florida State
Qb's galore taken in the first round. Another one is taken. Hasselbeck will probably be gone and they are going in a different direction.

*TRADE*
Ravens trade #26 to PATRIOTS for #60, #92, #125 and 2012 4th
26. Patriots- Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
Patriots addressed their OLB need and now they need a DE. Heyward is still on the board and they decide to trade up to take him.

27. Falcons- Phil Taylor DT Baylor
Falcons need help on the defensive line.

28. Patriots- Danny Watkins OG Baylor
Mankins will most likely be traded and the Patriots need to protect brady. They take the next best OG in the draft.

29. Bears- Muhammed Wilkerson DT Temple
Bears take the next best DT.

30. Jest- Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA
meh.

31. Steelers- Nate Solder OT Colorado
They need to protect Rapistberger!

32. Packers- Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB Pittsburgh
They need a OLB to compliment Matthews and take one of the Biggest OLB's/DE in the draft.

Ok, I have my blind fold on and on the firing wall. Have at it. :bricks:

Last edited:
Interesting take and I like your moxy

Here's a couple of observations

1. Carolina - I like Miller a lot and this actually came up on Sirius yesterday if the Broncos or Carolina would take Miller.. And the bottom line is DL, talented as Darius, are hard to find and have a bigger impact in both schemes.

2. I can see Redskins making the move, like MS did with Cutler.. It would be ballsy as hell

3. Julian Jones is a very good player but Green is a special player.. I don't see Jones going b4 Green.

4. I could see the Rams moving up and Getting a WR and the cowboys moving back and drafting an OL.. Not sure about Pouncey even though his comments say other wise.. I just remember so many post interviews how players thought they were going to the cowboys

5. Smith, Heyward and Watkins would be great.. But who is at 33? LT from Boston?

6. A lot of the trades you mentioned are not crazy at all. Based on history, I could definitely see the Chargers moving up a few spots

Last edited:
Interesting take and I like your moxy

Here's a couple of observations

1. Carolina - I like Miller a lot and this actually came up on Sirius yesterday if the Broncos or Carolina would take Miller.. And the bottom line is DL, talented as Darius, are hard to find and have a bigger impact in both schemes.

2. I can see Redskins making the move, like MS did with Cutler.. It would be ballsy as hell

3. Julian Jones is a very good player but Green is a special player.. I don't see Jones going b4 Green.

4. I could see the Rams moving up and Getting a WR and the cowboys moving back and drafting an OL.. Not sure about Pouncey even though his comments say other wise.. I just remember so many post interviews how players thought they were going to the cowboys

5. Smith, Heyward and Watkins would be great.. But who is at 33? LT from Boston?

6. A lot of the trades you mentioned are not crazy at all. Based on history, I could definitely see the Chargers moving up a few spots

I forgot about Castonzo!! Let me fix this. Also, I was thinking of Ingram at 33!!

Your trades kind of fall apart because you have the Broncos somehow trading the #2 pick and the #10 pick but somehow getting the #3 and #13 pick. Say what? You're gonna need to look that over because I think you've made some mistakes there. IE that's not possible. Buffalo should be picking at #3.

Last edited:
Your trades kind of fall apart because you have the Broncos somehow trading the #2 pick and the #10 pick but somehow getting the #3 and #13 pick. Say what? You're gonna need to look that over because I think you've made some mistakes there. IE that's not possible. Buffalo should be picking at #3.

I accidently put Broncos instead of Bills. I fixed it. It makes sense now. Thanks for catching that for me!!

I know this one will get a lot of fire. Its crazy, you would never think this could happen, but this mock draft it did. Just to let you know Ingram is not in the first round!!

Panthers were trying to get a team to move up to grab Cam Newton. It seems like a smoke screen, but since no one would move up they decide to take care of their defense first. Miller has showed a strong combine and pro day.

*TRADE*

Redskins and Broncos have a history of trading with each other. The Skins knew that if Newton fell to the Bills, the bills would take him. They move up and take the so called best QB in the draft. The reason why this makes sense is because they will trade McNabb.

3. Broncos- Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
Marcell projects as a 3-4 DE in the bills system. Von Miller and Cam Newton is gone so they take the best next available on top of the need for their team.

Bengals like Jones better than Green. They surprise everyone and take Jones first. Jones had a great combine and outplayed Green.

They couldnt wait any longer, they want Kolb but since this lockout they take Gabbert.

The Browns are going back to the 4-3 and they need a pass rusher. Robert Quinn can get to the QB.

The niners are very happy that Peterson fell to them. Without thinking, they send in the card for the commissioner to announce the pick.

Titans need all the help in their defense. Da'Quan cleared the medical portion which brings him back to the top ten instead of being picked in the 20's.

*TRADE*

Rams take a chance and grab Green before he is off the board. The Rams need to WR to compliment their QB Bradford.

*TRADE*
Lions need serious help in their secondary. IF Prince fell to the Texans they would snag him. The Lions trade up to address their secondary issues.

Fairley would play DE in their new 3-4 defense. Its surprising the Fairley fell and since Prince is off the board, the Texans grab Fairley.

*TRADE*
The Chargers know that the Broncos would take JJ Watt so they trade up and grab their guy.

Since Watt is off the board, Broncos take the next best DE off the board and on top of that stock pile draft picks.

I know Pouncey said he would go to the Cowboys so in this mock i decided to let him go to the Cowboys.

*TRADE*
Since Cowboys didnt take Smith they take a chance and move up to grab their LT they need to protect ELI. Also, since they were so nice allowing the Dolphins to practice on their field to play the Jets. The Dolphins decide to payback that favor.

Favre is gone and have no one under center. The Vikings grab the next best QB in the draft.

The dolphins need a RB, but can address that in the later rounds. They need a QB and traded down to pick up Mallett who visited their facilities twice.

Hobbs retiring, they need help in the secondary. Smith is tall and can be a great cover corner.

Qb's galore taken in the first round. Another one is taken. Hasselbeck will probably be gone and they are going in a different direction.

*TRADE*
Patriots addressed their OLB need and now they need a DE. Heyward is still on the board and they decide to trade up to take him.

Mankins will most likely be traded and the Patriots need to protect brady. They take the next best OG in the draft.

meh.

They need a OLB to compliment Matthews and take one of the Biggest OLB's/DE in the draft.

I don't know about that one!

This draft has so many interesting players in the 2nd-3rd-4th-round range (particularly at running back and offensive line) it would suck to give up so much of our ammo from those rounds for one more high pick. The one advantage the Pats have going into this draft is all the extra choices, which gives them the luxury to go after a few fliers/injury guys, like Romeus or Bruce Carter or Dowling. If you give up 60,92 and 125, you lose a lot of that flexibility.

I like the actual picks, though.

Carson Palmer is not the QB of the future for the Bengals.
Carson Palmer is not the QB of the future for the Bengals.
Seriously, the Bengals would be very happy to take Gabbert at 4. this doesn't affect this draft much, other then ARIZ might then want to trade down.

I don't like the pick at all. Smith will be a fine 4-3 end for someone, not a tweener for the patriots. I would trade down into the second round with this pick. As you point out, there are at least three teams ready to draft a quarteback in the 18-25 range (Miami, Minny and Seattle). ARIZ and CINCI are certainly more than interested. One will not get a top5 quarterback in your scenario. SF also should be interested. In any case, we should be able to trade down with someone who wants to get their man.

As you have pointed out, we can get Heyward and Watkins in the first and still have 33 available. We would then have what we get from 17, 33 and 74 and we will have a fine draft.

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

meh.

My plans for the Pats

Round one
17 – with no elite defensive talent on the board Bill Belichick trades the #17 pick to Denver for their 2nd and 3rd round picks, and their 2012 2nd.
28 – OG Danny Watkins, a nasty Guard who has drawn comparisons to a young Logan Mankins, a day 1 starter who will take over the RG position and help keep Tom Brady upright

Round two
33 -- TRADE: Houston trades #42, #105, & #178 to outbid Oakland for #33 and draft the remaining top CB (Ras-I Dowling) after a run on CBs in the first round.
36 – (Denver) DE/DT Kendrick Ellis – a massive defender who is also very explosive for his size, a 1st round talent whose stock dropped due to Off the Field issues
42 – Traded to Cincinnati for their 2012 2nd round pick and 2011 6th round pick
60 – OG/OC Rodney Hudson, while slightly “undersized” he’s very quick and has great feet, making him perfect for the Patriots zone-blocking scheme

Round three
67 – (Denver) QB Jake Locker, being very raw with pocket awareness and accuracy issues, and with the Jimmy Clausen fail still fresh on everyone’s mind Locker falls as TCU QB Andy Dalton shoots up into the 2nd round
74 – DJ Williams – an “undersized” TE who projects as a FB at the NFL level, his versatility is perfect for BB to exploit, causing match-up issues.
92 – Traded to SF in exchange for their 4th and 7th round picks and

Round four

105 - TRADE: Jacksonville trades #114 & #182 for NE's #105 with QB Ricki Stanzi still on the board.
107 – Greg Romeus – 1st round talent who dropped because of a knee injury, he gets red-shirted his frist season which also allows him time to learn BB’s defensive scheme.
114 - TRADE: Washington trades #144 & #155 for NE's (66) to move up and grab NT Ian Williams to replace Albert Haynesworth.
125 - RB Jordan Toddman, a blazing RB who has the potential to take it to the house on every play, he gives the Patriots a runner who go through the tackles and also be a threat around the edge.

Round five
144 - TRADE: SF trades #174, #211, & #231 for NE's #144 to move up and draft S Jaiquawn Jarrett.
155 – LB Mark Herzlich, previously considered a 1st round pick whose stock has plummeted due to his cancer, concerns over his slow 40 time and fears that he wont be able to regain previous form.
159 – Traded to Cinncinati in exchange for Chad Johnson

Round six
174 – OT Willie Smith, a very raw OT prospect with freakish size and strength
178 - TRADE: Denver trades #186 & #189 for NE's #178 & 193 to move up and draft DT Lawrence Guy.
182 - RB Allen Bradford, and unknown and under-rated RB from USC
186 – DT/DE – Blaine Sumner, a powerlifter who bench presses over 600lbs, nicknamed the Vanilla Gorilla
189 – OLB – Marc Scheichl, a DE at a Division II school who set a school record for sacks, slightly undersized but very strong and quick
193 - traded to Denver (see #178)

Round seven
211 - TRADE: Atlanta trades #229 & 230 to NE for #211 to move up and draft WR Jeff Maehl.
229 – FB Anthony Sherman
230 – DT, Colby Whitlock
231 – DE/OLB Brandon Bair

Re: My plans for the Pats

Round one
17 – with no elite defensive talent on the board Bill Belichick trades the #17 pick to Denver for their 2nd and 3rd round picks, and their 2012 2nd.
28 – OG Danny Watkins, a nasty Guard who has drawn comparisons to a young Logan Mankins, a day 1 starter who will take over the RG position and help keep Tom Brady upright

Round two
33 -- TRADE: Houston trades #42, #105, & #178 to outbid Oakland for #33 and draft the remaining top CB (Ras-I Dowling) after a run on CBs in the first round.
36 – (Denver) DE/DT Kendrick Ellis – a massive defender who is also very explosive for his size, a 1st round talent whose stock dropped due to Off the Field issues
60 – OG/OC Rodney Hudson, while slightly “undersized” he’s very quick and has great feet, making him perfect for the Patriots zone-blocking scheme

Round three
67 – (Denver) QB Jake Locker, being very raw with pocket awareness and accuracy issues, and with the Jimmy Clausen fail still fresh on everyone’s mind Locker falls as TCU QB Andy Dalton shoots up into the 2nd round
74 – DJ Williams – an “undersized” TE who projects as a FB at the NFL level, his versatility is perfect for BB to exploit, causing match-up issues.

Round four

105 - TRADE: Jacksonville trades #114 & #182 for NE's #105 with QB Ricki Stanzi still on the board.
107 – Greg Romeus – 1st round talent who dropped because of a knee injury, he gets red-shirted his frist season which also allows him time to learn BB’s defensive scheme.
114 - TRADE: Washington trades #144 & #155 for NE's (66) to move up and grab NT Ian Williams to replace Albert Haynesworth.
125 - RB Jordan Toddman, a blazing RB who has the potential to take it to the house on every play, he gives the Patriots a runner who go through the tackles and also be a threat around the edge.

Round five
144 - TRADE: SF trades #174, #211, & #231 for NE's #144 to move up and draft S Jaiquawn Jarrett.
155 – LB Mark Herzlich, previously considered a 1st round pick whose stock has plummeted due to his cancer, concerns over his slow 40 time and fears that he wont be able to regain previous form.

Round six
178 - TRADE: Denver trades #186 & #189 for NE's #178 & 193 to move up and draft DT Lawrence Guy.
186 – DT/DE – Blaine Sumner, a powerlifter who bench presses over 600lbs, nicknamed the Vanilla Gorilla
189 – OLB – Marc Scheichl, a DE at a Division II school who set a school record for sacks, slightly undersized but very strong and quick

Round seven
211 - TRADE: Atlanta trades #229 & 230 to NE for #211 to move up and draft WR Jeff Maehl.
229 – FB Anthony Sherman
230 – DT, Colby Whitlock
:eek: It's like he's in my head part of the time! :stars2: :beersign:

Re: My plans for the Pats

Round one

Round two

Round three

Round four

Round five

Round six

Round seven
229 – FB Anthony Sherman
230 – DT, Colby Whitlock

Lot of work Cousin. Thanks for the effort. I don't agree with all.
But appreciate letting us see this.
DW Toys

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

*TRADE*

meh.

Lot of work here. Thank you for sharing. Reasonable BB type Draft.
DW Toys

I think the OP's mock makes more sense than any of the dozens I have seen. Pretty much each pick seems to fit the need and often the character of the team drafting.

Nice try...however I do not think the Dolphins have given up on Henne just yet...in fact I think they still believe he is a starter for the long haul

I look for the Dolphins to go after a RB in the first round and maybe a QB like McElroy around the 4th round

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back