PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A trade the Pats should consider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamal Charles CJ Spiller
I liked what I saw from the Cowboys Rookie.
I will definitely be checking out other Teams backs.

Jamal Charles CJ Spiller
Are you saying the pats should try and get Elliot? The cowboys recent top pick or some other cowboys running back?

Well damn son.
eNtlu1r.jpg

Spiller's salary is guaranteed and there's still talk that he could be cut, so I don't even think it would take a bubble guy like Knighton to get it done. They should be trying to trade him for a backup long snapper if the alternative is releasing him.

Lmao, I remember the Bills fan who came in here a few years ago claiming Spiller was the best back in football.

Jamal Charles CJ Spiller

OK Let's throw a curve ball here Cousins.
I am perhaps the most avid trade fan there might be on this Forum. I have predicted a few and got my butt kicked on others. It is for fun not to be taken as a world edict.

There are three trades I would make. The first will cause death threats on this thread I am sure but it make sense if you think about it, plus the League will just plain howl with outrage. Let's get our first rounder back!

A trade I would like to see rivals the Eli bounce from the Chargers to the Giants.
I would do this trade:

Joey Bosa DL and Chris Hairston OT/OG and the Chargers 4th Rounder in 2017 to the Pats for our 2017 First Rounder, Geneo Grissom (you would have to give up some tealent) and one of our six guards that we cannot all keep other than Tunney. (Cooper, Kline, Mason, Halapio which they would say nyet, Karras, Jackson or G/T Cannon). You might lose three of these guys anyway.

Why? On the D line, Brown has been better than expected, Branch is in the dog house and could face suspension, Long is only this year, Kuhn is unknown, Valentine has been mediocre, the "Freak' might be a flash, Sheard is in his last year as is Nink. Flowers has been coming on but has had injuries and you have a chance to pick up a younger guy who many considered a blue chipper and control him after signing for a few years.

Bosa could flop but I would pull the trigger.

Hairston has battled injuries but signed a deal with the Chargers for a few years that will control him. Gotta be better than Cannon. RT might be his natural position.

Second Trade I would consider is obtaining TJ Clemmings who sits second team after Andre Smith on the Vikings as a RT, and Matt Asiata RB who has had three 3 TD games for the Vikings. He has size at 219 and starting experience. He can also catch with 44 in 2015. Worked in an industrial supply warehouse and continued to train and pursue his NFL dreams during 2011 season so he knows he had to work to make it. On 2 fumbles in 4 years.

Perhaps White and a TE (we have three to offer) plus maybe a fifth or sixth. White is great in the backfield as a pass receiver but brings "0" to the run game. Asiata picks up that slack and can run. Clemmings started all 16 games at RT for Vikes last year with Peterson winning the rushing title.

Finally RB Alfred Morris from the Cowboys for a pick. He still sits behind Mcfadden as a third string back. Elliot will get the majority of carries. He was a gamble for the Cowboys and can bring a pick for them.

DW Toys

OK Let's throw a curve ball here Cousins.
I am perhaps the most avid trade fan there might be on this Forum. I have predicted a few and got my butt kicked on others. It is for fun not to be taken as a world edict.

There are three trades I would make. The first will cause death threats on this thread I am sure but it make sense if you think about it, plus the League will just plain howl with outrage. Let's get our first rounder back!

A trade I would like to see rivals the Eli bounce from the Chargers to the Giants.
I would do this trade:

Joey Bosa DL and Chris Hairston OT/OG and the Chargers 4th Rounder in 2017 to the Pats for our 2017 First Rounder, Geneo Grissom (you would have to give up some tealent) and one of our six guards that we cannot all keep other than Tunney. (Cooper, Kline, Mason, Halapio which they would say nyet, Karras, Jackson or G/T Cannon). You might lose three of these guys anyway.

Why? On the D line, Brown has been better than expected, Branch is in the dog house and could face suspension, Long is only this year, Kuhn is unknown, Valentine has been mediocre, the "Freak' might be a flash, Sheard is in his last year as is Nink. Flowers has been coming on but has had injuries and you have a chance to pick up a younger guy who many considered a blue chipper and control him after signing for a few years.

Bosa could flop but I would pull the trigger.

Hairston has battled injuries but signed a deal with the Chargers for a few years that will control him. Gotta be better than Cannon. RT might be his natural position.

Second Trade I would consider is obtaining TJ Clemmings who sits second team after Andre Smith on the Vikings as a RT, and Matt Asiata RB who has had three 3 TD games for the Vikings. He has size at 219 and starting experience. He can also catch with 44 in 2015. Worked in an industrial supply warehouse and continued to train and pursue his NFL dreams during 2011 season so he knows he had to work to make it. On 2 fumbles in 4 years.

Perhaps White and a TE (we have three to offer) plus maybe a fifth or sixth. White is great in the backfield as a pass receiver but brings "0" to the run game. Asiata picks up that slack and can run. Clemmings started all 16 games at RT for Vikes last year with Peterson winning the rushing title.

Finally RB Alfred Morris from the Cowboys for a pick. He still sits behind Mcfadden as a third string back. Elliot will get the majority of carries. He was a gamble for the Cowboys and can bring a pick for them.

DW Toys
Some interesting props, Toys. So let me start by asking some questions on a few.

1. I like the Bosa Trade IF he's as good as his draft position would indicate. (I bet he would too. ;) ). I'm also OK with trading our first round pick as long as it's our natural pick, and NOT the one we are going to pick up after trading JG. That being settled, I have no issues with the rest of the compensation to SB, just have this question about Harrison. Just why do you think Harrison would be an improvement on Cannon? He looks to me to be about the same player.

The same question goes to TJ Clemmings. What makes him an upgrade over Cannon OR Waddle for that matter. By all accounts Cannon is an excellent run blocker, he's just never had AP running behind him.

Finally Alfred Morris for a low pick. Again, what are we gaining? Is Morris an improvement over Blount? Is he a fit to the offense. If he can catch the ball, I'd think he'd be an improvement over White, since he is clearly a better runner.

I don't understand all the Blount hate. He has ALWAYS been a productive RB for us. Even last year, when he admittedly didn't look stellar behind a bad OL, he averaged 4.3 ypc. Now that he's in camp, 10lbs lighter and looking as good as ever, somehow we all seem to in a mad rush to replace him. He's played the better part of 3 season for us and all he's ever done is average just over 4.5 ypc. That's the kind of production that we haven't seen since Corey Dillon, and he still gets no respect. I just don't get it.

CJ Spiller would be great here, in my opinion, but would probably get hurt - though maybe he can stay healthy long enough to get Lewis back from HIS injury.

Well, if he's injury prone then this is certainly the team for him. ;)

I don't understand all the Blount hate. He has ALWAYS been a productive RB for us. Even last year, when he admittedly didn't look stellar behind a bad OL, he averaged 4.3 ypc. Now that he's in camp, 10lbs lighter and looking as good as ever, somehow we all seem to in a mad rush to replace him. He's played the better part of 3 season for us and all he's ever done is average just over 4.5 ypc. That's the kind of production that we haven't seen since Corey Dillon, and he still gets no respect. I just don't get it.
Agreed, and I say that as someone who maybe has undervalued him a bit too. I still feel like he at times has a tendency to hesitate or move parallel to the line when he should just put his head down and get what's there, though. By way of comparison, I feel like Antowain Smith was better at getting the tough yards when they were needed, although I'm not sure he even averaged 4 yards a carry for the Pats, or just that.

But he can get the job done, I think, and the fact that he appears leaner this year is a plus too.

Some interesting props, Toys. So let me start by asking some questions on a few.

1. I like the Bosa Trade IF he's as good as his draft position would indicate. (I bet he would too. ;) ). I'm also OK with trading our first round pick as long as it's our natural pick, and NOT the one we are going to pick up after trading JG. That being settled, I have no issues with the rest of the compensation to SB, just have this question about Harrison. Just why do you think Harrison would be an improvement on Cannon? He looks to me to be about the same player.

The same question goes to TJ Clemmings. What makes him an upgrade over Cannon OR Waddle for that matter. By all accounts Cannon is an excellent run blocker, he's just never had AP running behind him.

Finally Alfred Morris for a low pick. Again, what are we gaining? Is Morris an improvement over Blount? Is he a fit to the offense. If he can catch the ball, I'd think he'd be an improvement over White, since he is clearly a better runner.

Bosa is unsigned. He cannot be traded. His rights cannot be traded either, as the deadline for that has passed.

For those familiar with the rosters of other teams, what might be the available tradeable RTs out there?

For those familiar with the rosters of other teams, what might be the available tradeable RTs out there?
Eric Winston Bengals.
TJ Clemmings Vikings
Jake Long in an UDFA,
Bosa is unsigned. He cannot be traded. His rights cannot be traded either, as the deadline for that has passed.

Will Beaty might be best UDFA,
DW Toys

Correct me if I am wrong but a "Sign and Trade" cannot be done?
DW Toys

Correct me if I am wrong but a "Sign and Trade" cannot be done?
DW Toys

SD has less than $10m in salary cap space available. How are they going to sign a #3 pick and then take the cap hit for trading him? Also, if they could actually get him signed in the first place, why would they trade him?

Agreed, and I say that as someone who maybe has undervalued him a bit too. I still feel like he at times has a tendency to hesitate or move parallel to the line when he should just put his head down and get what's there, though. By way of comparison, I feel like Antowain Smith was better at getting the tough yards when they were needed, although I'm not sure he even averaged 4 yards a carry for the Pats, or just that.

But he can get the job done, I think, and the fact that he appears leaner this year is a plus too.
I think that it's his running style and his inconsistant production that people don't like, myself included. Agreed that 4.3 yards/carry last season and his yardage per game averages looks respectable on paper. But he tends to have a few big games (Redskins and Colts games) that pad his stats and a bunch of subpar ones against everyone else. As for his running style and why it's frustrating: How many times has it been a 3rd and 2 handoff to Blount where he dances behind the line and gets stuffed for a loss?

Granted he looked great against the Bears, but he absolutely sucked in the first preseason game.

Last edited:
I think that it's his running style and his inconsistant production that people don't like, myself included. Agreed that 4.3 yards/carry last season and his yardage per game averages looks respectable on paper. But he tends to have a few big games (Redskins and Colts games) that pad his stats and a bunch of subpar ones against everyone else. As for his running style and why it's frustrating: How many times has it been a 3rd and 2 handoff to Blount where he dances behind the line and gets stuffed for a loss?

Granted he looked great against the Bears, but he absolutely sucked in the first preseason game.
Yeah, yards per carry can definitely be a misleading, or at least incomplete, stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back