PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A trade the Pats should consider

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you just suggest giving up a superbowl winning center under his rookie contract for a third round pick?

did you just suggest giving up a superbowl winning center under his rookie contract for a third round pick?
I proposed a similar trade a few threads ago based on a few positions that we have depth at and there are reasons to do so. It involves Andrews, not Stork. I thought Andrews outplayed Stork last season but they threw Stork back in anyway and he was not as good as 2014 but BB obviously prefers him.

No matter how many picks Cleveland trades around for, they still have too many holes to fill. That is plain fact. Their FA period was a bust. They lost talent and did not return any. Players that were looking for a new home are skeptical with an Owner who might be indicted, a new coaching staff and baseball analytic guys who have never been in Football pulling the strings on roster tendencies. Most of all, the losing culture and some scary players like Manzeil and Josh Gordon who drag the Team down.

I applaud them going for "BOB" . If Jackson can get the kid going again and have him buy into being a professional, he has talent. But by the time the off season is under full swing if you have a Team of 25 or so rookies (I am including UDFA which without doubt they will reach for) it is a tough Team for the Fan Base to root for.

Trade parameters:
C Andrews , OG Josh Kline, WR Dobson and 6th Round pick #196 from the Patriots

in exchange for:

4th Round pick #100, 5th Round pick #141 and CB Justin Gilbert

Why:
Patriots:
The Pats have four players capable of playing the Center position and they valued Stork over Andrews
Kline got a raise last season. He played well in the beginning of the season but faded. Cooper has a higher upside and he Mason and Jackson are younger.
Dobson got pushed down the depth chart by Hogan and Washington. He is on the last year of his contract anyway.Wat too many injuries in his years here even if he is healthy now. He needs a fresh start. I think the Pats will opt to Draft a WR and there are still better veteran players sitting at home right now like Bolden.
The Pats do not have a 4th or 5th Round pick so the board flexibility in those Rounds are dead. We do have 4 picks in the 6th though.
As they are hoping to resurrect Cooper's career, Gilbert would be potentially the most talented CB on the Pats with a failing career that needs to be revitalized. A top 7 first Round pick has to have some value. Can the Pats get it out of him? Think Talib II.Talib's career was going south until BB.
We have deep depth at Guard and Center. Not so much depth a CB.
Bill knows that he might have to lose one or more of these kids from the 2016 roster.
Gilbert is on his last year of contract. He's gone in 2017 if he does not work out.

Browns:
Cam Erving might not be the best choice at C.
If they can get two starters off a Championship Team such as the Pats, it might help the locker room.
Andrews won all 9 games he started for the Pats. He is a proven winner not some third string JAG last year.
Kline is an Ohio kid. He has worked to stay on this squad. He might have been the best O Lineman early last year but we have better talent on the way. He is also a proven starter on a Championship caliber Team.
Dobson is a throw in but a value for the Browns. A second rounder who has had some good games. His second round failings are kind of inline with the failings of Gilbert, They both get new homes to start fresh. The Browns are desperate for some WR help.
The Browns have 12 picks. Not all will be starters. Andrews and Kilne can be. They get two starters from a Championship Team who are young and even if they pick OL in the Draft, depth is accomplished with this Trade.
Gilbert has wore out his welcome. Get something for a failed first rounder makes sense.
DW Toys

don't forget that stork can fill pretty much every spot on the line. he played LT, LG, C, and RT in his first game back last year against the redskins (okay, LT was just on a kneeldown play to end the half). we all know belichick values that kind of versatility.

Yes, I'm sure that Belichick would be less likely to part with a guy like Stork, who happens to be very cheap on a rookie deal. That makes all the difference in the world in terms of "value."

Unless Belichick and company know something that we don't (serious injury, etc), I couldn't imagine this being anything of a possibility.

Belichick loves Stork, he called him a once in a decade center.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Marcus Cannon as a potential trade bait for the Browns. They lost their starting right tackle to free agency and right tackle is Cannon's best position. He had a mediocre (at best) season in 2015, which might lessen his appeal but I think he should at least be considered. In addition to losing their starting center and right tackle, the Browns also lost their two top WR's (Travis Benjamin to free agency and Josh Gordon to another failed drug test).

Just so I understand it, you're proposing trading our starting center for a potential #2/3 RB or #2/3 WR, or #3/4 options at DL, corner, and tackle?

Despite injuries, Stork played great as a rookie and played well as an emergency tackle when called on.

Let's throw that away for a lottery ticket where we would be happy to pick up someone as talented as Stork, or could draft someone to cut.

Why does this make sense?

Wouldn't it be better to stockpile known young players with another year of experience than a crap shoot?

What am I missing?

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Marcus Cannon as a potential trade bait for the Browns. They lost their starting right tackle to free agency and right tackle is Cannon's best position. He had a mediocre (at best) season in 2015, which might lessen his appeal but I think he should at least be considered. In addition to losing their starting center and right tackle, the Browns also lost their two top WR's (Travis Benjamin to free agency and Josh Gordon to another failed drug test).

I would bring it up. Stork is a center that seems to have multi position ability. Cannon is a backup that's supposed to be a swing tackle, biut seems a failed LT and guard.

Anyone see untapped potential in Cannon? I don't. seems like a one position backup to me. I could see Stork being a serious guard candidate, if we went that way. I still see him as the best C candidate, by the way.

Anybody really want Cannon Playing LT or guard at all?

I wouldn't trade Stork. If he comes back healthy, he can be one of the better centers in the NFL.
Now Cannon, I could be talked into trading him. His salary is higher than his contribution level to the team thus far. I know he offers versatility as a swing tackle/guard.

But we might be able to draft someone with higher upside if we moved Cannon, and at the same time clear some cap space. Consider that flat out releasing Cannon would save us 3m in cap dollars. Credit to Miguel for that factoid.

You lost me at trade Stork, id rather see what Dante can do with him.

scar.jpg

No more fsu I linemen please. Two is enough. Actually one and a half since Jackson stunk like a turd in the back half of the year.

I know thy come from a system identical to ours, but time to look at other schools.

I mean, there's still time, but what kind of compensation would you propose for a guy like Marcus Cannon, who may be an outright cut at any moment in time? I'd be shocked if they could get anything higher than a 6th rounder or so, and we already have five of those. Obviously, it would help give Belichick more ammo to move up into the 5th round again, but that's about it.

I proposed a similar trade a few threads ago based on a few positions that we have depth at and there are reasons to do so. It involves Andrews, not Stork. I thought Andrews outplayed Stork last season but they threw Stork back in anyway and he was not as good as 2014 but BB obviously prefers him.

No matter how many picks Cleveland trades around for, they still have too many holes to fill. That is plain fact. Their FA period was a bust. They lost talent and did not return any. Players that were looking for a new home are skeptical with an Owner who might be indicted, a new coaching staff and baseball analytic guys who have never been in Football pulling the strings on roster tendencies. Most of all, the losing culture and some scary players like Manzeil and Josh Gordon who drag the Team down.

I applaud them going for "BOB" . If Jackson can get the kid going again and have him buy into being a professional, he has talent. But by the time the off season is under full swing if you have a Team of 25 or so rookies (I am including UDFA which without doubt they will reach for) it is a tough Team for the Fan Base to root for.

Trade parameters:
C Andrews , OG Josh Kline, WR Dobson and 6th Round pick #196 from the Patriots

in exchange for:

4th Round pick #100, 5th Round pick #141 and CB Justin Gilbert

Why:
Patriots:
The Pats have four players capable of playing the Center position and they valued Stork over Andrews
Kline got a raise last season. He played well in the beginning of the season but faded. Cooper has a higher upside and he Mason and Jackson are younger.
Dobson got pushed down the depth chart by Hogan and Washington. He is on the last year of his contract anyway.Wat too many injuries in his years here even if he is healthy now. He needs a fresh start. I think the Pats will opt to Draft a WR and there are still better veteran players sitting at home right now like Bolden.
The Pats do not have a 4th or 5th Round pick so the board flexibility in those Rounds are dead. We do have 4 picks in the 6th though.
As they are hoping to resurrect Cooper's career, Gilbert would be potentially the most talented CB on the Pats with a failing career that needs to be revitalized. A top 7 first Round pick has to have some value. Can the Pats get it out of him? Think Talib II.Talib's career was going south until BB.
We have deep depth at Guard and Center. Not so much depth a CB.
Bill knows that he might have to lose one or more of these kids from the 2016 roster.
Gilbert is on his last year of contract. He's gone in 2017 if he does not work out.

Browns:
Cam Erving might not be the best choice at C.
If they can get two starters off a Championship Team such as the Pats, it might help the locker room.
Andrews won all 9 games he started for the Pats. He is a proven winner not some third string JAG last year.
Kline is an Ohio kid. He has worked to stay on this squad. He might have been the best O Lineman early last year but we have better talent on the way. He is also a proven starter on a Championship caliber Team.
Dobson is a throw in but a value for the Browns. A second rounder who has had some good games. His second round failings are kind of inline with the failings of Gilbert, They both get new homes to start fresh. The Browns are desperate for some WR help.
The Browns have 12 picks. Not all will be starters. Andrews and Kilne can be. They get two starters from a Championship Team who are young and even if they pick OL in the Draft, depth is accomplished with this Trade.
Gilbert has wore out his welcome. Get something for a failed first rounder makes sense.
DW Toys

Nice work on the proposal, but Gilbert has been awful, just awful. He has a lack of focus, a poor work ethic, and has looked completely lost on the football field. I'm not sure that he'd be a good fit here.

No more fsu I linemen please. Two is enough. Actually one and a half since Jackson stunk like a turd in the back half of the year.

I know thy come from a system identical to ours, but time to look at other schools.
Huh? Stork is 4th round pick who is a good center. Jackson was a 4th round pick who actually was in the field as a rookie.
What do you expect to get in the 4th round??

Nice work on the proposal, but Gilbert has been awful, just awful. He has a lack of focus, a poor work ethic, and has looked completely lost on the football field. I'm not sure that he'd be a good fit here.

Pretty much right on his play so far but look at that atmosphere and coaching turnstile. Now add some rotten apples as Teammates. Hell, the owner might be indicted. Reading up on the kid, he seems to be a pouter. He feels he is entitled to start because of his Draft status. He thinks he is still on scholarship.

Well you have to work on your craft. That will NOT happen here. He will be put on notice. Again, the Dobson and Gilbert part are swapping two players who need a change of scenery. They are not intricate parts in the real meat of the trade. It just each Team swapping busts or semi busts. I look at Gilbert as a younger version of Talib before we got him. Talib was poison. He said himself that his experience here changed him. We need depth at CB. Talent wise, Gilbert would be the most talented CB on our roster. If BB could get the kid straightened out half as good as Talib, he would be pretty serviceable. The Pats could use more CB depth and the Browns are desperate at WR with no Gordon and losing Benjamin.

The key here is Lombardi. I believe he should have the scoop.

DW Toys

With the recent signing of Josh Norman, re signing Butler at a reasonable salary may become an exercise in futility. In that case, engineering a trade with the Browns that includes Gilbert makes even more sense. My concern is that Cleveland may hold out for Amendola as the receiver rather than Dobson. If the players in the trade can be worked out, I hope that the Pats could get back a 5th in 2016 and a 4th in 2017.

Question If patriots wanted could we trade for a certain person in the first round on day 2 right? There could be a wink wink deal before draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back