PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A trade the Pats should consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With their top four picks in the upcoming draft, I assume that the team will be looking at (in no particular order) a RB, OT, WR, DT, CB. Yes, that's five positions with only four picks.

I therefore propose that the Pats seek to trade C Bryan Stork to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for one of their high third or fourth round picks. I can see the Pats throwing in one of their extra sixth round picks to make the deal.

Browns likely need some good competition at Center with the loss of Mack to free agency. They are loaded with draft picks. Pats have the luxury of two starting caliber centers, and they should be happy with the work of David Andrews this past season. He is durable and Stork has some injury history. He's had a concussion or two. This would be a great example of getting rid of a player a year early in exchange for some good value.

Bear in mind, I have no idea if they could get a high fourth or third for Stork, but tossing in a sixth rounder or two, could certainly help a Browns team striving to stock up on new talent.

If the Pats could pull off this trade, I wouldn't mind if they ended up drafting two Offensive Tackles with these 5 picks. Talent lies deep in this draft.

Would Cleveland bite?

Cleveland drafted a starting center in the 1st round last season.

With their top four picks in the upcoming draft, I assume that the team will be looking at (in no particular order) a RB, OT, WR, DT, CB. Yes, that's five positions with only four picks.

I therefore propose that the Pats seek to trade C Bryan Stork to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for one of their high third or fourth round picks. I can see the Pats throwing in one of their extra sixth round picks to make the deal.

Browns likely need some good competition at Center with the loss of Mack to free agency. They are loaded with draft picks. Pats have the luxury of two starting caliber centers, and they should be happy with the work of David Andrews this past season. He is durable and Stork has some injury history. He's had a concussion or two. This would be a great example of getting rid of a player a year early in exchange for some good value.

Bear in mind, I have no idea if they could get a high fourth or third for Stork, but tossing in a sixth rounder or two, could certainly help a Browns team striving to stock up on new talent.

If the Pats could pull off this trade, I wouldn't mind if they ended up drafting two Offensive Tackles with these 5 picks. Talent lies deep in this draft.

Would Cleveland bite?
You want to give away your starting C and weaken the ol in order to draft 2 OTs who won't play?
This makes no sense to me.

I don't think you trade anyone (on the oline) right now, barring medical reasons. I'd also wager that Stork has some of the more "significant" injuries, mainly concussions and neck, than some of his fellow line mate's. Vollmer's back being the other big question mark. Oline play centers around continuity, let Dante's School for Dancing Bears commence...maybe with a pick/udfa or 3 to provide competition.

I wouldn't trade Stork or Andrews at this point. Both have shown the ability as well as inability to communicate and facilitate the point of attack.

who would that be? Cameron Irving is a RG drafted in the first round. Their depth chart shows no true backup for Alex Mack.
Depth Chart - NFL.com

I wouldn't put too much stock in NFL.com depth charts. Irving was a C at FSU. It's the position that he's best at and most familiar with. It's possible that the Browns intend for him to be their long-term RG, but generally you don't draft a really good prospect at C with the intent of moving him to guard, a position that's typically easier to fill.

Would Cleveland bite?
So, the Pats, should deal away depth on the line after they (A) couldn't protect Brady down the stretch, (B) couldn't block for the running backs, or (C) couldn't fight the injury bug. I can't see the Patriots doing anything but upgrade the line when you've got an aging, but still immensely talented, Brady under center.

Putting everything else aside, what makes you think that we could get a 3rd-4th round pick for Bryan Stork? I'd be shocked if it were that high. I think 4th-5th is closer to the realistic value. Not meaning to nitpick over one round, but it does make a huge difference right off the bat.

Stork, imo, is a far superior (healthy) player than Andrews, as pleasant as a surprise that Andrews was. Lets not trade away a potentially very good interior linemen to a team who needs a potentially very good interior linemen. Our own IOL have much more value to us, a team that suffered from IOL play last season, than any other team that can offer us anything of need.

100% useless trade prospect to me, when we're talking about a potential starting g/c of the future vs a draft pick while he's in year 3 of his contract and not at max $$ value.

100% useless trade prospect to me, when we're talking about a potential starting g/c of the future vs a draft pick while he's in year 3 of his contract and not at max $$ value.

Yes, I'm sure that Belichick would be less likely to part with a guy like Stork, who happens to be very cheap on a rookie deal. That makes all the difference in the world in terms of "value."

Unless Belichick and company know something that we don't (serious injury, etc), I couldn't imagine this being anything of a possibility.

Stork is under contract for 2 more years with an average cap hit of 750K... and we want to trade this very good interior lineman for an unknown???

Makes no sense..

I thought you were gonna say a 3rd round pick for Jamal Charles. That's what they want for him.

I thought you were gonna say a 3rd round pick for Jamal Charles. That's what they want for him.
Do they actually and a 3rd for him? I would give that up for a (granted injury-prone) workhorse like Charles

Do they actually and a 3rd for him? I would give that up for a (granted injury-prone) workhorse like Charles

If true, I'd definitely look into it, especially considering NE would not necessarily have to use him as much as KC did. What sucks about Charles is that KC showed little imagination when he was in the lineup. Everyone knew where the ball was going to go. Their offense overall actually looked a little better and more potent once Charles went down and they were forced to spread the ball around. But that's pretty much the same thing Reid did with Westbrook back in the day. Westbrook was just more durable.

Last edited:
That's what one of my buddies told me at work, he heard the Chiefs want a 3rd round pick for Charles. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

Why do we assume that our players will fetch high draft picks?
Think about Stork's concussion history.
That's just the perception and seemingly pervasive mentality among fans that our cast-offs are better than other teams' team. LOL Nobody can argue that playing for NE has a way of being somewhat of a career-starter or big money earner for players. We've seen it time and again. But alas, cast-offs are what they are for a reason. Even NE has taken chances on cast-offs from other teams. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. There were people saying we could get as much as a fourth-rounder for Easley who, not all that surprising to me at least, cleared waivers.

You lost me at trade Stork, id rather see what Dante can do with him.

jyXdW5.gif

"We can rebuild him... we have the technology..." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes