Brandon Meriweather [2011]
Jarrod Page [2011]
Jonathan Wilhite [2011]
Darius Butler [2012]
Patrick Chung [2012]
Josh Barrett [2012]
Kyle Arrington [2011]
Sergio Brown [2013]

For better or worse, the Pats liked Dowling enough that they felt taking him at 33 was better than whatever they could have gotten from a trade.

Not to nitpick, but you're leaving a certain DB who is signed through 2014 off that list there......

Last edited:
Yes, being less informed than the most informed people in the world is exactly the same as being uninformed.

No 99.9% of the people on this board are totally uninformed. Some just haven't realized it yet. Thats what some of us find so amusing. Its the equivalent of challenging a doctor's medical opinion because you watch ER.

Fair enough point on the Jets thing. Now to the OT.

Can we agree that Light was good enough to hold the fort, and that, assuming J. Kraft wasn't lying today, the Patriots want him back, which makes Solder largely an expensive cheerleader for the next year or two?

Kraft isn't the GM.

He wanted Bledsoe to stay also.

I think this is why a lot of people are flummoxed. The Patriots had choices they could have made, and they made choices that were questionable when other options would have made sense.

What he said.

But what about our inability to get off the field on 3rd down? Or the pathetic sight of a very average guy like Sanchez carving up our D because we can't get a fingernail on him when he goes back to pass?

16/25 for 194 yards aint exactly carving anything up. They lost that game because of the offense, not the defense.

Why is this so hard to understand? The picks might be pretty good, but if the D can't get off the field again on third down, it's all for naught.
For argument's sake... wouldn't guys like Dowling and Bodden and Warren help the Pats get off the field on third down more often?

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm in favor of making moves that mean I get to see less of Darius Butler and Jonathan Wilhite.

Yes I think Light is still good enough to hold the fort. I'm pretty pleased with the Solder pick that said. I don't see what BB is doing is a short term strategy but that of a guy who looks set to stay in New England for many years beyond Tom Brady's retirement.

I agree with that, but the OT position could have been dealt with next year. Now, I say that having said (in other threads) that I'm ok with the Solder pick because Pouncey was off the board. I just want to go through all the picks since some people (not yourself) are acting as if questioning any of them is the equivalent of telling God himself to go pound sand.

So we're pretty much in agreement on the OT/RB picks, I think, unless you think waiting on OT until next year would be waiting too long.

CB, an area that's either already deep enough, or the greatest evidence that BB deserves to have his picks questioned, was taken at 33, despite the fact that the player is injury prone, missed a lot of time time last year, and may not get a chance to catch up this year if the lockout scenario returns. Even if you liked the pick personally, isn't that enough to justify the people who aren't thrilled with the pick, whether because they think it was too high, or because of the pick itself?

No 99.9% of the people on this board are totally uninformed. Some just haven't realized it yet. Thats what some of us find so amusing. Its the equivalent of challenging a doctor's medical opinion because you watch ER.
After my experiences with doctors I tend to discount one opinion and seek out many immediately.

Really? You think the pats needed some help on offense?? They put up a ton of points last year, but their defense was dead last in getting off the field on third down last year and you think they needed help on offense? ( and I would agree they needed a offensive) tackle

And yet it was the offense that got them knocked out when it counted. Hrm.

I think this is why a lot of people are flummoxed. The Patriots had choices they could have made, and they made choices that were questionable when other options would have made sense.

Yes, well hindsight is 20/20. It will be even more obvious in a couple of years.

I'm not sure BB was imagining this type of a haul 2 days ago. This doesn't seem like his finest hour. Then again, we could be looking at this draft in 5 years and saying - "wow, what a great draft that was".

Anyway, even trading to 6 would assume there's somebody there worth taking. I'm not 100% sure that anybody drafted between 5 and 16 was worth it.

After my experiences with doctors I tend to discount one opinion and seek out many immediately.

Hopefully you aren't turning to message boards for those opinions...

You apparently don't know what uninformed means. That being the case, this conversation is useless because, whether you care to admit it or not, most of the people here do, in fact, have some knowledge about the subject.

Well, I can't say the thread surprises me. Each year we get 20-30 "Beginning of the end" threads to choose from. I'm only surprised at who started it. PFK??? WTF. I usually respect your stuff, but sorry this OP was one of the worst chicken little thread we've had in awhile.

Oh well, we'll chalk it up to an off day. :D

Seriously. Nothing real sexy this draft. Certainly can live with Solder, Dowling and Vereen picks. they're solid and will contribute. Something made them feel the need for Ridley and I suppose that are a pretty long in tooth at RB, but it's a total meh... pick for me.

Mallet??? Well... much as we all hate to think about it, time to start thinking about taking a flyer or two on some QB talent. Chances are 50/50 we're only 3-5 years out from the inevitable. Mallet may not be the answer, but it's time to start looking round hard for guys that might be.

In BB I still trust.

Last edited:
I agree with that, but the OT position could have been dealt with next year. Now, I say that having said (in other threads) that I'm ok with the Solder pick because Pouncey was off the board. I just want to go through all the picks since some people (not yourself) are acting as if questioning any of them is the equivalent of telling God himself to go pound sand.

So we're pretty much in agreement on the OT/RB picks, I think, unless you think waiting on OT until next year would be waiting too long.

CB, an area that's either already deep enough, or the greatest evidence that BB deserves to have his picks questioned, was taken at 33, despite the fact that the player is injury prone, missed a lot of time time last year, and may not get a chance to catch up this year if the lockout scenario returns. Even if you liked the pick personally, isn't that enough to justify the people who aren't thrilled with the pick, whether because they think it was too high, or because of the pick itself?
There's always room to question an move in isolation but if watching the Patriots go about their business for the last decade is any indication, you can never evaluate that singular move without considering the domino effect.

We're in agreement regarding the picks. (BTW I like you much more when things are confined to football matters!).

As for cornerback well that's a chicken and egg theory isn't it. It looks to me that BB has decided better coverage is going to give the pass rush more time to develop. Whether or not we agree with that comes back to personal opinion but I like this upgrade. I was biting my tongue with most of the picks initially and found it interesting that runs on similar players amounted immediately after the Pats made those picks.

I'm a proponent for you can always make your strong points stronger but as we know, NFL teams find out what your weakness is and exploit it. I'm hopeful that the run game is going to be improved which naturally has a rollover effect to the pass. That said our inconsistent pass rush is still the flaw that I see.

My issue with the pass rush is it isn't consistent enough. It strikes me that BB just didn't see anyone who is going to contribute for the length of a contract in this year's Draft and interestingly Gruden made the comment that this year's LB core was rather weak. Most of us agree that it's more linebacker help than defensive line help that's needed.

Last edited:
For those reasons stated, I am 100% convinced this is a complete $hitshow of a draft for the Pats - it looks inept. It's almost as if something unexpected happened along the way that threw them for a loop and that they were unprepared for and it dominoed into confusion. Because this draft makes ZERO sense. As much credit as I give this organization/BB, I'm also not going to cast them gospel and unflappable. Most of the players taken were at spots where they could have fallen much further. There were contradictions throughout. The value slot of 33 was completely thrown out the window, I mean completely.

The richest DL draft in ten years at a position of need and not one? Not one?

Trading with NO looked nice at the time, but what did it really amount to? A future late round 1(NO will be good & enough with the future already) and a 2nd round pick for a 3rd down back that could have been had later? Simply taking Ingram there would have likely been better value.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the NE draft room for this one. The only explanation is that BB thought the decision was made early that this pool of talent sucked - but if the case, should they not have started prospecting that when they were trading for future picks? Stymied.

Monumental bust on this one in a critical year.

Really? You think the pats needed some help on offense?? They put up a ton of points last year, but their defense was dead last in getting off the field on third down last year and you think they needed help on offense? ( and I would agree they needed a offensive) tackle
I actually didn't see the Pats having many serious needs heading into this draft but, LT is a monumental need obviously.

I love Law firm but his best asset is he doesn't fumble. A good asset mind you but not something that can't be improved upon. And Faulk, Morris and Taylor are ancient and done. So, getting 2 young and skilled RB's to replace 3 that are leaving seems like a wise exchange.

As for Mallett, he was the #1 rated QB on the Pats draft board and they were presented with an opportunity to draft him late in the 3rd. Kinda tough to be critical of such a value pick IMHO.

Well, I can't say the thread surprises me. Each year we get 20-30 "Beginning of the end" threads to choose from. I'm only surprised at who started it. PFK??? WTF. I usually respect your stuff, but sorry this OP was one of the worst chicken little thread we've had in awhile.

Mallet??? Well... much as I we all hate to think about it, time to start thinking about taking a flyer or two on some QB chances are very 50/50, we're only 3-5 years out. He may not be the answer, but it's time to start looking round hard for guys that might be.

In BB I still trust.

pats are in desperate need of a pass rush and a guard. They are not in desperate need of 2 RBs and a back up QB with Brady entering year 1 of a 4 year mega contract.

Last edited:
You apparently don't know what uninformed means. That being the case, this conversation is useless because, whether you care to admit it or not, most of the people here do, in fact, have some knowledge about the subject.

What do you know about drafting? Seriously, what is your experience and knowledge base in this area? You want to make a claim that you have "knowledge" about the subject so lets hear it.

Have you done any of the following:
Been in a war rooms.
Spent time analysing college game films.
Attended combines.
Interviewed players.
Access to college coaches for opinions.
Coached at a proffesional level.
Have the playbook of the drafting team.
Know which skill sets fit with a teams strengths.
Understand the injury status of veterans under contract.
Understand the FA targets that a team my be eyeing.

So where is your "knowledge" coming from that makes you even the slightest bit informed?

:rolleyes:

babycrying.jpg
CryingIndian.jpg
crybaby.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case