PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Jake Ballard theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could look at the all-22 to see if he got open when split wide. Does this stat give any clues as to which opponents I could look at?

I'm afraid not - it just has a target %, purely a chart for the whole season, nothing game by game.

some thoughts on Ballard and the TE situation:

I doubt Ballard is able to see the field this season due to his injury. However, I do see a minor advantage to putting him on PUP instead of IR. I don't know all the complexities of PUP vs. IR, but I believe that if he's on IR then he is done for the year, can't practice with the team, etc...At least with PUP the team would have a three week window in the middle of the season to get Ballard on the practice field, in meetings, etc...He could do walk throughs, limited contact, etc...This could benefit him next season as he tried to acclimate to to the team. Yes, probably a marginal benefit but worth the effort, no?

The reason he is on PUP is procedural. To be placed on IR at this stage and not count against the active limit a non vested player must pass thru waivers. They dont want to expose Ballard because, most likely, the Giants would pick him back up now that the evaluation of the 90 man roster is done. He can still attend meetings, do rehab, watch practice, etc... on IR. Its one of the benefits for marginal players as they can show a team their dedication. Id imagine once the regular season begins they will put him on IR.

The Patriots actually didn't reward him accordingly... His new money average (+/-$8M) will be an elite TE rate for the forseeable future but potentially a little less at the back end. Not ever elite WR money. And his overall 7 year average (<$6M) will be below elite TE or above average WR money throughout.

Yup. This whole Hernandez is a wide receiver pushing his contract is all talk of guys who never bothered to research the tight end market. Gronkowski did get the potential of WR money, but also took the risk of getting lesser TE money if his stats drop off. Like I mentioned on my site I think Hernandez got the better and safer deal.

Looking more into it I think it also goes to show what better representation can get a player. Hernandez is repped (I think) by David Dunn who is one of the better agents out there and well versed in a large number of clients. Gronkowski is a Rosenhaus guy, and those guys are all about flash and big numbers even if there is little substance behind them. With their agency crumbling (and it was nowhere near as bad as it is now when they did the deal) they wanted some positive press which they got with the wild numbers. Gronkowski is going to have to put up nutty numbers for 3 of the next 4 years to outpace Hernandez. If he doesnt Hernandez will end up clearing more money in the longrun and that shouldnt happen.

The theory of Hern at WR makes sense even if Ballard can't play this year. A TE trio of Gronk-Fells-Shiancoe is still the best in the league easily

A TE trio of Gronk-Teapot and PATSYLICIOUS is stil the best in the league easily.

Men even a TE trio of Gronk-Tebow and Ben Watson is stil the best in the league easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back