PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Gronk likely to start season on PUP, here is the Pats depth chart at TE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanStnfrd

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Zuri Berry of the Boston Globe lays out the Pats options at TE assuming Gronk begins the season on PUP (a reasonable assumption assuming a 12 week healing period from mid-June plus conditioning to get back in football shape):

With Gronk destined to miss time, the Patriots have a few options - Extra Points - Boston.com

The Pats have many options to draw from. Jake Ballard is universally hailed as the best pickup because he can step in for Gronk at the "Y" TE position, with Fells the veteran option here.

Most interesting was Berry's final prediction for TEs on the "53" roster to start the season:

"Here's what I project with Gronkowski out for the final 53:

Y tight end
Jake Ballard
Zach Sudfeld

Flex tight end
Aaron Hernandez
Michael Hoomanawanui"

Note: Berry projects Zach Sudfeld, a FA rookie, making the squad.

What do you think?

I think he's being quite presumptuous about Gronk's health and the PUP

To say nothing of presuming that an UFA will somehow known Daniel Fells out of the roster spot when two of the other receivers are almost certainly going to be rookies.

I'd put ZS far below Fells at this point, honestly.

To say nothing of presuming that an UFA will somehow known Daniel Fells out of the roster spot when two of the other receivers are almost certainly going to be rookies.

Not so far-fetched as you think. Fells was beaten out by Hoomanawanui
for playing time last year. Why not Sudfeld also?

Fells was not at all worth what he was paid last year. Ran incredibly slow and couldn't catch. I was surprised they didn't cut him right after the season just to save money, because Hoomanawanui and Ballard are better and cheaper.

Is everyone aware Fells was injured last year?

At this point, I wouldn't mind if Gronk missed 10 games and start 6 to brush off the rust for the playoffs. I don't think the Jets and Bills are ready. The only threat comes from Miami.

I am hoping they ask mark Harrison to gain 10 lbs and backup Hernandez.

Honestly PUP wouldn't surprise me because it's way too risky to put him out there until he's rehabbed and is fully back at 100%. He's had a tough run of injuries, it would be nice to finally get him healthy.

Fells was not at all worth what he was paid last year. Ran incredibly slow and couldn't catch. I was surprised they didn't cut him right after the season just to save money, because Hoomanawanui and Ballard are better and cheaper.

Fells was pretty seriously injured last year - shin injury. he's a decent tight end. I don't see 3 rookies catching Brady passes when they have veteran options.

Gronk
Hernandez
Ballard
Hooman
Fells

Can't see us carrying more than that.

EDIT:
iirc Fells graded out as an elite run blocking TE last season.

I'd like to see Sudfeld beat out Fells who injured or not is a mediocre talent. Sudfeld on the roster would mean that he either earned the job on merit or they like his potential too much to cut him. Either way I'm not going to lose any sleep as to who the potential 5th TE might be.

Not so far-fetched as you think. Fells was beaten out by Hoomanawanui
for playing time last year. Why not Sudfeld also?

Is everyone aware Fells was injured last year?

Bingo...we have bingo :rocker:

There is obviously a chance that Fells may be beaten out, but his injury from last year that really limited him will definitely be something that matters in this decision. If Belichick feels that Fells has healed up significantly enough, then he may very well end up staying here.

I'd have a hard time believing that so many are automatically assuming that a rookie UDFA is instantly going to beat out Fells, who probably has much more talent when healthy.

Zuri Berry of the Boston Globe lays out the Pats options at TE assuming Gronk begins the season on PUP (a reasonable assumption assuming a 12 week healing period from mid-June plus conditioning to get back in football shape):

With Gronk destined to miss time, the Patriots have a few options - Extra Points - Boston.com

The Pats have many options to draw from. Jake Ballard is universally hailed as the best pickup because he can step in for Gronk at the "Y" TE position, with Fells the veteran option here.

Most interesting was Berry's final prediction for TEs on the "53" roster to start the season:

Y tight end
Jake Ballard
Zach Sudfeld

Flex tight end
Aaron Hernandez
Michael Hoomanawanui"

What do you think?

I think that Suds' & HooHa's designations should be reversed...and that James Casey
would've been a good signing here.

Depending on the timeframe of Gronk's progress, we may/may not have to place him on PUP. Belichick may actually feel that it's worth it for him to come back at the end of September instead, thus having approx. 3+ months to recover from this back issue.

If that's the case it may make sense for Belichick to carry him on the 53 man roster even if he misses the first 3 (or so) games. We just don't know in the early part of the month of June one way or another.

I would have the top 3 of Gronk, Hernandez, and Ballard all making the team. That would leave two other options:

1. There is a battle between Fells, Hooman, and Sudfeld for the last remaining 4th TE spot

OR

2. Sudfeld attempts to go to the practice squad as a developmental TE for the future and insurance for this season, leaving Fells/Hooman to battle it out for the 4th and last remaining spot (probably my choice unless Sudfeld really shows up and immediately pops out as a surefire stud)

Y tight end
Jake Ballard
Zach Sudfeld

Flex tight end
Aaron Hernandez
Michael Hoomanawanui"

What do you think?

There is nothing to indicate that Sudfield is anything other than camp fodder.

Daniel Fells is an accomplished TE in the league. He happened to be injured last season. He is the second "Y" TE on the roster.

Maybe if there were fewer question marks surrounding Ballard and Gronk, the Pats might choose Sudfeld's upside over Fells' higher floor and lower ceiling, but the way things currently stand, the Pats need to know they're going to have someone who can fill the Y position, as much for reasons of pass protection and run blocking as for receiving.

As for Gronk, I think it's way premature to put him down for the PUP list just yet. The procedure he's having performed on his back is the same disk-shaving one he had in college on a different vertebra, and is even being done by the same doctor. While any type of surgery has risk of complications, in this case, they are hoping to prevent serious trauma, which is more straight-forward than trying to repair it. Additionally, this operations doesn't involve implanting any foreign material, which involves the wild-card of how the body will respond to it, and doesn't present areas of limited blood flow that are hot spots for bacteria, and make it harder for antibiotics to reach an infection.

This is almost always the case at this point in the offseason. However, everyone (almost) has his UDFA binkies. After all, some of these guys almost always make the team. It's just difficult to pick which one.

There is also the bias against veterans among many posters. They are constantly posting how an UDFA or 7th rounder is going to beat out a veteran.

In this case, Ballard and Fells are likely to make the team if they are healthy. Hooman is the alternative. Sudfield is hoping to be on the Practice Squad, if he isn't cut first.

Personally I think that Gronk will be on the 53, even if he is inactive for a few games. After all, we are not going to have 4 TE's active. Gronk will be the #4 for awhile, until he is ready.

Daniel Fells is an accomplished TE in the league. He happened to be injured last season. He is the second "Y" TE on the roster.

He has size 6-7 255, speed 4.79 40 and good hands (45 receptions for 598 yards last year as a 5th yr senior). He has as good a chance as any other 3rd day draft pick or UDFA, depending of course with what he shows in TC.

Fells is a former UDFA himself who has been with 6 teams in his 7 year career and barely has 1000 career yards. He will be 30 years old coming off of an injury plagued season with a minimal cap hit and 700k savings if released. His roster spot is not the slam dunk you seem to think it is.

He has size 6-7 255, speed 4.79 40 and good hands (45 receptions for 598 yards last year as a 5th yr senior). He has as good a chance as any other 3rd day draft pick or UDFA, depending of course with what he shows in TC.

Fells is a former UDFA himself who has been with 6 teams in his 7 year career and barely has 1000 career yards. He will be 30 years old coming off of an injury plagued season with a minimal cap hit and 700k savings if released. His roster spot is not the slam dunk you seem to think it is.

I agree with you that it's by no means a "slam dunk" that Fells makes the roster. I think that his injury status from last year will be a very important aspect to take into account, and that the majority of disdain may come from the fact that the writer of the article found it applicable to leave Fells off of the roster entirely..in exchange for an unproven UDFA rookie.

Like many other issues, we can all go back and forth all we want until the end of August, but there's really only one person's opinion that matters. We'll have to wait and see how Belichick handles the situation, but if he feels that Fells has healed properly he probably has a much better chance than Sudfeld to make the team based on scheme knowledge and talent alone.

In my opinion, I think Sudfeld would be a fine practice squad candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3