PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts- the on to AZ edition...and few roster comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think benching grap in the first game would be a horrendous decision unless he throws 4 picks in the first half or something. It would destroy his confidence.

Also, I am all for pfk starting a new thread. I do not have time to go through every thread so I pick and choose. I always like pfks work so I try to read all his threads, but if his idle thoughts posts were hidden,i would not be able to read them.

I am most excited to see if Pats unveil the 3 TE 2 WR look. Gronk, Bennett, Derby, Hogan, Edelman. I like to see how AZ game plans that when there is no film on it and has never been used during preseason.

Love the post! Hey, who would BB try to shut down on Arizona's offense?

I think it would be good to use DJ Foster and J. White as receivers as they seem to be legit pass catching threats. Wherever you line them up it doesn't matter, I think we all know its gonna be pass. but you can move them around the formation and they are quick and shifty. Dink and dunk is still fine with me, just move the chains. Not to mention, they will still have to account for big targets like Gronk, Bennett, and Derby.

How about the 3 TE, 1WR and 1 RB ( Foster) ( Lewis when off PUP) formation...

Run or Pass ????????

Name your poison..... :)

EDIT: patriot 1136 ..Good plan ;)

If I'm picking my poison with this team I'm focusing on David Johnson (would have been perfect Patriot ). That kid can do it all and is great at rec. Seriously really good hands with speed.

As for the wr's you will probably get 3 different answers because they 3 really good wrs. Floyd is the outside guy for the most part, while the move Fitz and Brown around.

I really like Brown and what he can do. Think Brandon Cooks, Waterbug type. He has electric speed. Can take a bubble screen for 50 yards to the house or run by just about anyone in the league.

The Cards ran a ton 4-5 man sets last year, more than anyone else I believe. No matter what we're going to have trouble with their size (Fitz/Floyd). So the last thing I want is him running wild. That size might make Bill think it's more manageable to take away one of the two away simply because they don't have that world class speed.

Based on what you've said, I hope you are right, JMC. I seem to be a victim of the media's tendency to build reputations.

BTW- I noticed the Cards just released Red Bryant. Back several years ago he was a target of Bill's when he was leaving Seattle. You seem to know the Cardinals pretty well, just who do they have on the front seven we should be wary of besides a very motivated Chandler Jones, or has their success of late been more a product of scheming rather than individual talent.

Jones, Campbell, Buchanan, Golden will all being gunning for JG.

Buchanon is another guy I loved coming out a few years back. I remember thinking teams would covet his versatility and ability to cover the slot/nickel. He hits like a missile and will be in back field.

Golden plays with a high motor and uses his leverage well for 60 minutes. Good tackler, will run and chase and expect to see him on twist up the middle.

I really appreciate your thoughts, pfk, as always - but I wish you would post them in an already existing thread We're on to Arizona by BobD. First out of respect to posters who already shared thoughts on the subject and second so that we all don't have to become schizophrenics jumping here and there, repeating our thoughts etc.

I would suggest to moderators to join these two threads.

While the idea of combining posters sharing thoughts on the subject would normally make sense, as all of the old dinosaurs like me know, Ken's Idle Thoughts are frankly in a separate catagory from all other threads. An ex-football coach who still loves teaching about football. It is the best that us students of football will get until BB retires and writes a book. ;)

At this point we are gearing up for the regular season so i think redundant threads about an opponent are perfectly fine. There is plenty to say on here about AZ and Ken always has a lot of good thoughts about each team we face and i welcome any replies to this thread that lets other posters read it and keep it from getting buried. I have no issues with someone having a similar or the same topic to my thread. I just like good content on here and thank our wonderful community for making it possible. :)

Also take it easy on "long distance" people. He is pointing out redundant threads are not usually the best idea and that is usually the case so i see the point he is making overall.

David Johnson is the key to their offense. Shut him down and take away their ability to get easy first downs with passing to him and keep him from breaking any easy big runs. If you do that their O will sputter and you dare Palmer to pass on our secondary with our pass rush. He might be able to do it cause he is not bad and his WR core is good but I will take that match up as long as we don't give up the cheap dump off passes and runs to the outside for big gains.

Yes, it was a very interesting cut down day. The good news is that this is one of the most talented squads in Patriots history. I've seen a lot of really great squads, but I really mean that, especially as far as the defensive side of the football.

More concerns - our running game. Dion Lewis is hurt... again. Blount is who he is, however sporting a slimmed down look. Can he be the bellcow for this offense or do we need to rely on someone to step up? Will that be James White or DJ Foster?

Not sure why you are saying that Lewis is hurt again. It's not an "again" situation. He had to have clean-up done on the knee that had been hurt last year. This is not out of the ordinary for ACLs. ACLs are still an 8-12 month healing process.

Wide Receiver concerns - Edelman and Chris Hogan are the only healthy WRs. Mitchell is dinged up and although Amendola does not start on PUP, I don't expect him to be ready for the season opener. How soon he gets healthy is a big deal for us.

How do you know that Mitchell isn't healthy? It's not like they have continuously reported his status other than to say he was working on a separate field with the trainers.

Tight end is our biggest strength - Gronk, Bennett, an emerging youngster in AJ Derby and a swiss army knife in Clay Harbor.

It will be interesting to see how Harbor and Darby are used? Will we see 3 or even 4 TEs dressed for game day? Will we see 3 or 4 on the field at once?

Good Question. They've got a trio of RBs in Chris Johnson, Dave Johnson, and Andre Ellington that can run it down your throat. They also have a trio of WRs who can beat you in Fitzgerald, Brown, and Floyd. They also have the underwhelming Jermaine Gresham..

We gotta keep the pressure on Palmer and get in his head. Then he will make mistakes.

I actually think this will be the Chris Hogan coming out party. If JimmyG has some time in the pocket, I think he is really going to try and test CB2. I know he threw nothing but 10 yarders all pre-season, but we did see him almost exclusively last pre-season, throwing deep ball after deep ball. I wonder if the coaches have been trying to show as little as possible of JG's repertoire, to surprise opponents as much as possible.

If Zona clogs up the box and sends multiple rushers, I wouldn't mind JimmyG being allowed to take a couple big shots down the field, and Hogan is a perfect deep guy for that type of coverage.

I may be alone, but I actually think we are going to be pleasently surprised by JimmyG. I am going to be holding him up against Bridgewater and Carr, as the two guys the Pats had a chance to select, but apparently liked JimmyG more. That is not to say he will have the success, but everything about JGs style seems to mesh well with the skill position players we have. I won't be surprised if he actually shows us quite a bit in these first 4 games, and an opening night win on the road against a contender could go a lonnnng way in cementing himself in the league for a long time.

I actually think this will be the Chris Hogan coming out party. If JimmyG has some time in the pocket, I think he is really going to try and test CB2. I know he threw nothing but 10 yarders all pre-season, but we did see him almost exclusively last pre-season, throwing deep ball after deep ball. I wonder if the coaches have been trying to show as little as possible of JG's repertoire, to surprise opponents as much as possible.

If Zona clogs up the box and sends multiple rushers, I wouldn't mind JimmyG being allowed to take a couple big shots down the field, and Hogan is a perfect deep guy for that type of coverage.

I may be alone, but I actually think we are going to be pleasently surprised by JimmyG. I am going to be holding him up against Bridgewater and Carr, as the two guys the Pats had a chance to select, but apparently liked JimmyG more. That is not to say he will have the success, but everything about JGs style seems to mesh well with the skill position players we have. I won't be surprised if he actually shows us quite a bit in these first 4 games, and an opening night win on the road against a contender could go a lonnnng way in cementing himself in the league for a long time.

I am a bit concerned with Jimmy's ability to process what he sees in terms of coverages ect. quick enough but that's not a knock on him but it only makes sense because without live game reps there is no way to work on that.

So, I'd rather see him taking a few deep shots in between a lot of running + "safe" plays (play action, dump offs, wheel routes) than going for those short/intermediate passes that Brady does so well. Better an INT 40-50 yards down the field than anywhere else. Like many before me had said, I think the only "realistic" way to win in Arizona is through turnovers.

David Johnson is the key to their offense. Shut him down and take away their ability to get easy first downs with passing to him and keep him from breaking any easy big runs. If you do that their O will sputter and you dare Palmer to pass on our secondary with our pass rush. He might be able to do it cause he is not bad and his WR core is good but I will take that match up as long as we don't give up the cheap dump off passes and runs to the outside for big gains.

I think David Johnson was good last year, but I just wonder if he was a flash-in-the-pan type.

Last edited:
I think David Johnson was good last year, but I just wonder if he was a flash-in-the-an type.

After watching All or Nothing, I think he is legit. Hard worker, decent attitude, coaches like him, etc. He has all the physical tools and he's on a team with receiving threats and a good regular season QB (or at least a guy who puts up numbers).

Fitz is still key for them. Now that he plays inside, he's a safety net for Palmer. Gotta be aggressive with him and possibly bracket him--I don't envy Patricia on this gamelan.

The line has steadily moved up on this game.It now stands at 6. The O/U is 51.
I'd bet the Cards and the under...even though I usually HATE the under.

Suppose I needed money fast for a life saving operation....yup, I'm taking the deed to the house and putting it on Arizona. In fact, just a few days ago I could have gotten Cards -4. IMO the Cards win this game by double digits...and it WON'T be because of a defensive breakdown.

Yes, I think it's going to be a long, very brutal coming out party for JimmyG...perhaps even a Buffalo after Milloy cut type of blasting.

Not sure why you are saying that Lewis is hurt again. It's not an "again" situation. He had to have clean-up done on the knee that had been hurt last year. This is not out of the ordinary for ACLs. ACLs are still an 8-12 month healing process.

How do you know that Mitchell isn't healthy? It's not like they have continuously reported his status other than to say he was working on a separate field with the trainers.

It will be interesting to see how Harbor and Darby are used? Will we see 3 or even 4 TEs dressed for game day? Will we see 3 or 4 on the field at once?

I believe so, yes. We messed around with the idea last year, Pitt game I think, maybe others. Especially in the red zone, that's where I would guarantee we'd see it.

I am a bit concerned with Jimmy's ability to process what he sees in terms of coverages ect. quick enough but that's not a knock on him but it only makes sense because without live game reps there is no way to work on that.

So, I'd rather see him taking a few deep shots in between a lot of running + "safe" plays (play action, dump offs, wheel routes) than going for those short/intermediate passes that Brady does so well. Better an INT 40-50 yards down the field than anywhere else. Like many before me had said, I think the only "realistic" way to win in Arizona is through turnovers.

Jimmy G is going to have his hands full for this game. Bucannon, their LB is a tweener so they can turn from base to nickel on a moment's notice, and probably will. If I'm Bruce, I've been watching all the preseason games and devising most of my coverages to show man but go to zone after the snap because that is what Jimmy has a hard time with.

I personally am expecting a lot of frustrating three and outs, not the well-oiled offense we are used to seeing.

Also a disturbing trend is that Jimmy has led a receiver into a hit at least once a game so far (last game it was Bennett). I'm just going to hold my breath a bit and just hope we escape without major injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3