PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Few Thoughts on Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
--OT, but yet another illustration of the Pats’ coaching edge, was the Giants meltdown. Everyone knows what happened, but I just want to comment on Coughlin’s post game comments. “I take responsibility….the punter was told to kick it out of bounds.” So how do you take responsibility, Tom? Just shut up already.

To be fair to their rookie punter I think the snap was a little high and he was just trying to get rid of the ball in a hurry. Can't blame the punter for the coverage team giving up on the play when Jackson muffed it.

As far as the Giants go, where are the "bring the house" advocates.

It might have helped to have a lil "prevent" mindset.

Something to keep in mind, when that subject gets examined again.

I believe it was McCourtywho was beat on the coverage, not Sanders, but yes, an absolutely awful angle on the ball by Meriweather.

I disagree. It was Meriweather fault.

He took a horrible angle and never provided help over the top. Instead he rean into McCourty ensuring no chance of him making the tackle.

We had the ball for what? 20 minutes? and we put up more points than anyone has on them all year. With a healthy D line and Spikes they don't rush the ball like that and I know Rodgers is great but its not like Flynn was awful last night so I don't think the jump to Rodgers would have been a huge difference except for maybe the last drive, but if they have Rodgers they dont start the game with an onside kick either.

1) This game showed how important it is for the Pats to "stay on schedule". The onside kick to open the game was a haunting reminder of the soul-sucking 10 min FG drive to open the game that shan't be mentioned. Also, here are the situations faced in every Pats drive where they didn't score a TD (in order):

2nd and 13 (False start)
2nd and 20 (Sack)
1st and 20 (Holding)
2nd and 9 (1 yard run)
2nd and 10 (No gain run)
2nd and 6 (4 yard run)

Only the last drive left Brady with a manageable down-n-distance. Mental mistakes and losing on 1st down are the recipe for rattling Brady. Keep him in rhythm and this game is much different. That is fixable on offense.

2) This game was unusual in that apart from the bomb TD, none of the Pack's scoring drives averaged 5 ypp (excluding penalties):

3 first downs required for 40 yards
7 first downs required for 60 yards
6 first downs required for 59 yards
4 first downs required for 53 yards

In summary, they went a little over 200 yards and it took them 20 first downs to do it. Not a single penalty for the Pack in any of those drives but multiple penalties for the Pats adding 32 yards to the drive total. The long play on those drives? 16 yards

The Pack played clean football, stayed patient and were happy getting just 1 more yard than they needed. Give them credit.

3) Points 1 and 2 are not a blueprint for beating the Pats. Point 1 requires a lack of execution by the Pats and point 2 requires amazing discipline, focus and luck. It can happen over the course of a long season (the Browns game is another example) but I wouldn't count on it for any one game.

4) People need to back off Flynn for that last play. With 20 seconds and facing 4th down, he did exactly what was needed. At that point, you are only going to have one good shot at the end zone. Take your time, get the right call and get your best chance for success. A great call by the Pats to drop 8 on that play when there had to be an inclination to big blitz. If anything, Flynn broke the pocket a little early but that is nitpicking for that situation.

5) OT...That Jets win seriously hurt the chances for the Chargers to make the playoffs. Even if the Jets lose out, beating the Steelers improved their SOV enough so that it should beat out the Chargers if they tie. This means that the #5 Ravens and #6 Jets spot is pretty much set with the #3 Chiefs/Bolts and #4 Colts/Jags still to be decided. That means for the Jets to get back to the AFCC game, they will have to beat the Pats in January in Foxboro with the Pats coming off a bye. Good luck with that.

6) OT...The Colts should place Collie on IR today to remove any temptation to play him for the rest of the year, including playoffs. He had 2 horrific concussions in 7 weeks and a recurrence of symptoms with minimal contact in between those incidents. Any neurologist that would clear him to play in the next 7 weeks (date of Super Bowl) should have his license revoked. Even though he is a Colt, Collie is hard not to like. Seeing his face on the sideline after the clinching Hagler touchdown was scary. Slack-jawed, distant stare, no emotion...dude is too young to have the rest of his life put in jeopardy.

Good post. On point 5, I'll be very happy to say goodbye to the Chargers. It's just disappointing that Jacksonville lost (predictably) to the Colts. Not only do I not want to see the Colts, I believe this means the Pats will have to play them yet again next year. Not sure where though.

That's not true. I just watched it after i read your post. Chung did get beat a little on a 7 yard out but he was still kinda with Nelson. But McCourty actually got beat worse than Chung did. So Merriweather should have not only been naturally defending the deep pass (mccourty's guy - James jones), but he should also have covering the guy who was beat worse (mccourty..not chung). In addition to those two reasons to cover Jones, Merriweather has deep responsibilities in almost all situations.

This is why TV coverage sucks.

I watched that play a bunch of times, and I've convinced myself that Neither Merriweather nor McCourty had much to do with that play (although McCourty did get beat a little bit, and it was going to be about a 30 yard gain if Merriweather didn't run into him).

What happened is this:

Chung had the slot, and the receiver basically shucked him at the line, and was running a route wide open in the middle of the field. Merriweather moved inside to cover him, and then the ball was thrown. Merriweather didn't really take a bad route, he was just out of position to deal with that pass because he was covering the guy who had beat Chung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft