PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A dome was planned for Boston?

Update: found this thread where this was discussed for anyone interested:

Update: found this thread where this was discussed for anyone interested:

you can be sure the Bulgers were prominent figures behind the scenes of that proposed deal

A dome would have kept the attendance up in some of those lean years. I believe most Patriots fans would be opposed to a dome now because they think it'll remove some kind of on field advantage. From the perspective of a season ticket holder whose sat through enough bad weather games (a driving rain in 40-degree weather being the worst) I'll take a dome anytime now.

A dome would have kept the attendance up in some of those lean years. I believe most Patriots fans would be opposed to a dome now because they think it'll remove some kind of on field advantage. From the perspective of a season ticket holder whose sat through enough bad weather games (a driving rain in 40-degree weather being the worst) I'll take a dome anytime now.
I think plenty of people would still take a dome. However, I do believe the current renovation will definitely improve the noise advantage, which as many have mentioned was lacking due to that end being so open.

I think plenty of people would still take a dome. However, I do believe the current renovation will definitely improve the noise advantage, which as many have mentioned was lacking due to that end being so open.

well now that we don't have the games historically best bad weather QB i'm more open to a dome

That "quiet" stadium has 16 division titles, a 20-4 playoff record, and 5 championship banners to its credit.

well now that we don't have the games historically best bad weather QB i'm more open to a dome
To be fair he's also the game's historically best good weather and dome QB.

Weld proposed a “Megaplex”, a combined dome stadium and convention center, in the Seaport, when Kraft was using Hartford to squeeze a better infrastructure/stadium deal out of Massachusetts. That would’ve been awesome, especially for a guy like me who has lived in downtown Boston for the past 20 years. Unfortunately, the drunken Micks on Beacon Hill did not have the vision or foresight to push ahead. The few who did have that vision were probably unhappy with their bribes.

While the ultimate result probably would have been great, the cost overruns would surely have been massive. They always are when Union workers are on the job multiyear projects in Massachusetts.

Weld proposed a “Megaplex”, a combined dome stadium and convention center, in the Seaport, when Kraft was using Hartford to squeeze a better infrastructure/stadium deal out of Massachusetts. That would’ve been awesome, especially for a guy like me who has lived in downtown Boston for the past 20 years. Unfortunately, the drunken Micks on Beacon Hill did not have the vision or foresight to push ahead. The few who did have that vision were probably unhappy with their bribes.

While the ultimate result probably would have been great, the cost overruns would surely have been massive. They always are when Union workers are on the job multiyear projects in Massachusetts.

The people of Southie nearly started a revolution over the plan. The only drunks they wanted roaming the neighborhood on Sunday morning were them coming home from a long night of drinking. They scared all the politicians out of backing the proposal.

Ironically, many of them would have been better off if the stadium plan went through. Instead of the stadium plan, they went and redeveloped the seaport. That drove up housing costs in Southie and many long time renters were forced to relocate. Many of the local businesses were also forced to shut down because of real estate costs. Southie went from a more blue collar and college area to a more upscale yuppie area.

Last edited:
There was an in-depth article on Billy Sullivan fairly recent....forget the writer/publication...but remember some details.

So Billy Sullivan was a visionary
Always grateful to him..without him no Boston Patriots
He could have done a better job ? Sure

But he gave all he had to start it and he surely loved the Patriots

So Billy Sullivan was a visionary
Always grateful to him..without him no Boston Patriots
He could have done a better job ? Sure

But he gave all he had to start it and he surely loved the Patriots

We, mio amico, remember Billy very differently.
And not to nitpick but what he 'gave' was all he could con everyone else out of.

We, mio amico, remember Billy very differently.
And not to nitpick but what he 'gave' was all he could con everyone else out of.
Si mio amico we have different opinions here
But now priority is to be 3-3 this evening and here i think we agree both

Si mio amico we have different opinions here
But now priority is to be 3-3 this evening and here i think we agree both

It would seem that together we manifest that rarest of superpowers, the lost art of amicable disagreement.

It would seem that together we manifest that rarest of superpowers, the lost art of amicable disagreement.
I simply maintain that all the players, coaches, staff, fans, family and friends who sacrificed and supported the team for three decades should be properly recognized and honored, and certainly not shat upon and dismissed which also demeans the team and its accomplishments since.

That rust bucket of a stadium hosted a ton of thrilling games, most of them victories.

Don't get me started on other supposedly saintly owners like Halas, etc.

Also even if the Sox stayed at Fenway, there could have been a National League team added or moved in.

I simply maintain that all the players, coaches, staff, fans, family and friends who sacrificed and supported the team for three decades should be properly recognized and honored, and certainly not shat upon and dismissed which also demeans the team and its accomplishments since.

That rust bucket of a stadium hosted a ton of thrilling games, most of them victories.

Don't get me started on other supposedly saintly owners like Halas, etc.

My Dude, as you very noticeably, and thoughtfully I might add, excluded past owners I am good with that and you have my continued support in your good works

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back