PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd down defense. Woof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see how the next Jets game goes. I'm expecting it won't be this close, especially if the Pats have fewer injured players out.

Survive and advance.

The loaded up on the run today and it worked

Agree, there were gaps on third downs.. but overall a win is a win.

FYI as bad as it seemed the Jets made 8 out of 14 Third Downs..

The Pats made 8 of 16 third downs..

Horace Ivory 17 runs 41 yards, 2.5 yd average.. he has been gathering 141 a game. This Jet team is a better Jet team than we have seen in a long while..

Agree, there were gaps on third downs.. but overall a win is a win.

FYI as bad as it seemed the Jets made 8 out of 14 Third Downs..

The Pats made 8 of 16 third downs..

Horace Ivory 17 runs 41 yards, 2.5 yd average.. he has been gathering 141 a game. This Jet team is a better Jet team than we have seen in a long while..
I will load up on the run every single time with Fitz as QB

5 of 11.

The other guys get paid, too.

That's a lazy assessment.

Butler got beat pretty bad by Decker numerous times and it wasn't competitive at times.

I looked at the standing regarding points scored on a teams defense. The Patriots had just a few more points then that "Vaunted" Jets defense. Keep in mind, the Patriots did not score a lot of points on them. Furthermore, the Patriots give up a number of garbage TD's late in games.

15.gif
LOL at people rating this useful. Good job guys. I had a good laugh.

If Butler is going to be a legit #1, he has to be better on 3rd down. He's not close to a shutdown CB yet.

Not even anywhere close. At the moment, he's a CB2 being forced into a CB1 role. This past week's talk about him being some kind of pro bowler was completely absurd in my opinion. Coming into this game (which was poor), he had given up TDs in 4/5 games.

That said, there are still many good things to say about him, and he will work through something of a learning curve, which is to be expected. At least he's seeing plenty of reps against quality talent, so hopefully his natural ability should shine through in the next year or two.

Not even anywhere close. At the moment, he's a CB2 being forced into a CB1 role. This past week's talk about him being some kind of pro bowler was completely absurd in my opinion. Coming into this game (which was poor), he had given up TDs in 4/5 games.

That said, there are still many good things to say about him, and he will work through something of a learning curve, which is to be expected. At least he's seeing plenty of reps against quality talent, so hopefully his natural ability should shine through in the next year or two.

I agree that he's #2. I like the potential that he, Roberts and Coleman give us in the secondary but we do need that #1 guy. As we'll be picking in the late 2nd round, that's going to have to come via FA or trade probably.

I agree that he's #2. I like the potential that he, Roberts and Coleman give us in the secondary but we do need that #1 guy. As we'll be picking in the late 2nd round, that's going to have to come via FA or trade probably.

I sit here and watch Byron Jones and think "what could have been?" That kid looks good.

I think the Jets offense is pretty good, they have talent so while I was frustrated with the 3rd down defense I think it was more about play calling than anything. Seemed like they never blitzed in 3rd and long and never got to Fitzy. It you leave receivers out there too long the NFL has made sure they will get PI or a reception.

I sit here and watch Byron Jones and think "what could have been?" That kid looks good.

I told everyone :)

I would rather have traded up for him than drafted Brown, but hey ho....

(I'm not down on Brown, I just loved Jones).

And Delvin Breaux.

Yeah, my comments probably crack you up when I mention guys like Jones, Breaux and Breeland (year two), since I don't really know much about them until they show their worth on the field.

You could refer to me as a "hindsight draft guru."

Yeah, my comments probably crack you up when I mention guys like Jones, Breaux and Breeland (year two), since I don't really know much about them until they show their worth on the field.

You could refer to me as a "hindsight draft guru."

Best way to be 100% with your Evals :)

I remember the first time I watched Breeland for Clemson. Blew me away. I got really excited and rushed to post about him in the draft forum.

I remember the first time I watched Breeland for Clemson. Blew me away. I got really excited and rushed to post about him in the draft forum.

I know that this may be overreacting, but I'd personally be good with offering WAS a 2nd round draft pick at this point--certainly a 3rd and a competitive player. I realize that it's purely fantasy, but it would set our CBs up for years to come, and allow Butler to be the good CB2 with upside that he likely is.

Of course, WAS probably wouldn't part with him for a 3rd + a player, and probably not even for a 2nd.

I know that this may be overreacting, but I'd personally be good with offering WAS a 2nd round draft pick at this point--certainly a 3rd and a competitive player. I realize that it's purely fantasy, but it would set our CBs up for years to come, and allow Butler to be the good CB2 with upside that he likely is.

Of course, WAS probably wouldn't part with him for a 3rd + a player, and probably not even for a 2nd.

Do they think he could be a shut down corner? If the answer is yes then they absolutely shouldn't trade him for a 2nd rounder.

I do think he has that potential.

If he's a good #2, he needs to do a better job of containing the other team's #2 WR. I understand that the other guy will make plays as well, but Decker dominated him today.

Need a legit man 2 man corner would be a start. Getting Sheard back is important too, he's the only guy other than Jones that gets to the QB on the edge.
I mean the majority of the conversions were to Decker against Butler. They could definitely use another CB, but Logan Ryan wasn't the issue today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST