PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 Main things to steamroll the Patriots into the Super Bowl - 3 Things to derail it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 3 Main things to steamroll the Patriots into the Super Bowl - 3 Things to derail

Is Vrabel a great player? - Yes,and he is a big contributor to the team,Is he as fast or as quick to the ball as he was years ago? - IMO no,

He has gotten older as all of us do and his play will slow down a bit like it does for all other great players who have come and gone.

Re: 3 Main things to steamroll the Patriots into the Super Bowl - 3 Things to derail

Somebody please tell me when Vrabel suddenly entered "the sunset of his career?" The only dropoff in his production was a result of some changes in his position from OLB to ILB. He still is as vital a contributer as he was in '01-'05 and should be for a couple more years.

Hmmm...using Dan Duquette's definition (tho for "twilight" not "sunset"), this would mean that Vrabel has ten more seasons in him and will win three awards as the best player at his position in the NFL...that's quite a compliment!

The 3 main things I see that,if it should happen should propel us right into a Super Bowl Championship is...

1) LAURENCE MARONEY TO SHINE IN HIS 2ND SEASON- A healthy Maroney and productive running game - If the team can provide some quality yards on the ground to a tune of something like a season total of 2,000 yards or more this teams offense will be unstoppable and Brady will have plenty of time and opportunities to throw as defenses will have to respect the running game - Maroney is a critical piece of us getting to the SB,NOT the WR Corps which we all know is very deep barring injury and cannot be held for our main offensive output,I say if we can accomplish 55% pass and 45% run it will be working for us. In 2006, the Pats were 51.4% pass and 48.6% rush. In 2005, they were 56.2% pass and 43.8% run. In 2004, the Pats were 48.1% pass and 51.9% run. In 2003, the Pats were 53.2% pass and 46.8% run.

Basically, the Pats shoot to be closer to 50-50 than they do to be 55-45 in the manner you suggest.

2) A SOLID SPECIAL TEAMS PERFORMANCE CONSISTENCY - I think a major factor in our chances lies with a group that can tackle well and get to the carrier sooner rather than later,Many times last year the ST had allowed the opposing teams time to set up a 'wall' and the blocks led to big gains and a couple of long runs,The ST has a great leader in Izzo and I expect even better this year.

Also Welker will be a factor on the other side of the ball,We need him to at least average 25-30 yard line on average and Brady and Co. can do the rest,Brady is not at his best when down deep in his own territory and he needs more room to use all of his weapons.

I think that with Izzo on the field and Davis helping as a strength and conditioning coach and probably working with Brad Seeley on special teams. On returns, average returners get the ball between the 25-30 yard line on a regular basis. For it to be considered really successful, they need to get to the 29-35 yard line. Basically, Welker needs to average around 25-28 ypr on kick-offs and I believe he can do that with the Pats special teams blocking.

The 3 main things I see to derail us from a championship are...

1) CANCER RUINING TEAM FIRST ATTITUDE/UNITY - Thats where Randy Moss comes into play,We all know he is a great player and has several years to go before he cannot do it anymore so all we need from him is a T-E-A-M attitude and total commitment and adjustment - I guess you can add in any other guys we added into the team this year but Moss's history make him standout as to watch his temperment and drive to succeed with his new team.

A team like this which is as talented on paper right now with a total team effort and attitude will make this a very dangerous and difficult team to beat from day one till the final day of the season - If Moss erupts into a jackass we cut him and still have talent at WR,but sometimes damage can ruin a team,even if the cancer has left,it can still spread thoughout if dealt the wrong way,no matter how much effort is into keeping a tight locker room.

From my understanding, Randy had no issues with his teammates. They came out of the woodwork to protect him. Guys like Cris Carter and Robert Smith. I don't think this will be an issue at all.

2) INJURY BUG - We have been able to stay more than competitive through injuries nearly every year since BB got here,but there are some areas that simply cannot get injury prone or the team will be in trouble and areas I don't see as just putting any guy out there - Those positions are LB,CB (less so if Asante returns),K,RB and of course at QB - These all should be areas of concern if the injury bug hits-we are not deeply talented outside of the main starters in those respective areas,you simply cannot expect top performance from emergency players in a pinch like it was a few years ago,See the Colts AFCCG to find thats the case,If all our main guys were around all game like Seymour and Harrison especially in that all important 2nd half,we not only would have won that game,We would have blown the Colts out.

3) OFFENSIVE LINE PROTECTION BREAKDOWNS- Many times last year the OL broke down and nearly cost the team its star QB to injury,especially in the Jacksonville game and the away Miami and away Jets games which were not a good OL performance.
I still think this teams OL is one of the best in the NFL but I would like to see more consistency and that would usually be with the same guys lining up next to one another and not changes like we have had to do in the past due to inujury or unproductive performance ...Mankins,Koppen,Light and Co. need to keep the heat off Brady's back as you know he will only need a few precious seconds to find one of our 5 talented receivers open this year,Last year no one got open on a consistent basis and Brady had to wait in the pocket and nearly got killed,This year the OL just needs to give him a few precious seconds to kill opposing defenses,If they cannot hold the rush and Brady gets hit or there are no holes for Maroney to run then the team will have problems scoring,thus killing SB dreams.
==========================================================

Thats my take on key negative/positive components to have to happen to either drive the Patriots to either a Super Bowl Title or a Dissapointing early playoff exit.

Many times last year Brady got the ball off, but was hit late without a call. Brady was sacked only 26 times last year. Some of that was more because of coverage and less because the O-line "broke down" in their assignments. You also have to remember that they had their 4th different starting RT in 4 years. Its the one position that has been a carousel since BB got here. And its the one position I wish they could find someone to man it for more than 8 games.

Last edited:

Need to get a better push up the middle with our line for Maroney.

Actually, the MIDDLE wasn't the problem for Maroney. He averaged 4.9 YPC going up the middle. Maroney was his best running outside the left tackle. Where Maroney had problems running was between Light and Mankins on the left side, and then on the right side from Neal outwards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9607

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back