PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#23, #34, #47, #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Over in the OLB thread, a consensus seems to be building that Barwin is the #1 3-4 OLB prospect in this draft, which is unusually deep in 3-4 OLB prospects. Meanwhile in this thread, a consensus seems to be building that the Pats should take Barwin at #47.

I'm seeing a pretty big disconnect there. Do we really expect the Dolphins, Browns, Packers, 49ers & Broncos to ALL pass on the draft's top OLB between #23 and #47?

I don't agree that Barwin will last till #47. And if he's the best OLB on people's draft boards he is well worth our 1st round pick. I certainly wouldn't let him slip by our #34 pick at the latest.

I do think Barwin will be there at #34. Cant see us passing him up.

I don't agree that Barwin will last till #47. And if he's the best OLB on people's draft boards he is well worth our 1st round pick. I certainly wouldn't let him slip by our #34 pick at the latest.

I'm with you on that one. His combine numbers are not top secret to every NFL team. Every team was represented well when Barwin tore up the combine. The possibilities of this kid our wheeling through every teams mind right now.

I don't think anyone is debating whether Barwin is a bust or not. He could completely bust out for all we know. But he is such a high reward guy ,if he can put his physical tools to use. The debate is now, how early do you have to take this kid before you lose out?

The way things are shaping up, I think I'd feel more confident taking the top pass rusher at #23 and trusting that strong DB talent will be around at #34 than vice versa.

The way things are shaping up, I think I'd feel more confident taking the top pass rusher at #23 and trusting that strong DB talent will be around at #34 than vice versa.

That's what usually happens on draft day. More value on pass-rushers not defenders.
I'd be torn between A.Smith and C.Barwin if both on board at 23. Would be looking to move up from 34 if we really like both.

Well safety has just changed a bit. Sanders just signed a 3 year deal according to Reiss. I think we could now pick up a safety with our 47 or 58 and be ok.

Last edited:
The problem with Barwin is if we dont get him, BoR will turn into a puddle of tears,,,:D

or with our 89 or 99.

Well safety has just changed a bit. Sanders just signed a 3 year deal according to Reiss. I think we could now pick up a safety with our 47 or 58 and be ok.

or with our 89 or 99.

True to the 89 or 99. But still, I'd be hard pressed to pass on Smith or Delmas if they were there at 47.

How do you think Sanders plays out as far as changing the need of safety? Do you think offensive line help is now in order with one of those first 4 picks?

Meanwhile in this thread, a consensus seems to be building that the Pats should take Barwin at #47.

I'm seeing a pretty big disconnect there. Do we really expect the Dolphins, Browns, Packers, 49ers & Broncos to ALL pass on the draft's top OLB between #23 and #47?

As you know, I did slot Barwin as our #34 pick. I also don't think there's a remote chance he'll last till #47. However, the important question becomes, given other team needs, will Barwin even make it to #34?

I personally don't value him as high as #23, but if BB wants him, would he risk losing him between #23 and #34?

I'm fine with one of the safeties at 47.

I've had OL as the first or second pick for many weeks. My mock a month ago had Unger at 23. Given that we will likely need to replace Neal after the season, I put OG as a high priority. I would also note that Mankins is in his contract year, but he is an RFA is there is no revision to the CBA. As more and more information comes in, unless we sign someone, we will choose a linebacker in the first round, perhaps even trading up. I do see an offensive lineman in the 2nd.

The great thing is that we will have six picks in the first 100. Even five is enough to meet our needs.

True to the 89 or 99. But still, I'd be hard pressed to pass on Smith or Delmas if they were there at 47.

How do you think Sanders plays out as far as changing the need of safety? Do you think offensive line help is now in order with one of those first 4 picks?

There's a nice 2nd tier of safeties to consider there or later, like Chip Vaughn and Rashad Johnson. But the Sanders signing doesn't hugely shift my thinking on safeties, since it was pretty much unimaginable that the Pats would reach the draft with only one significant veteran safety on the roster. A Delmas or Chung is still an option, IMHO.

The problem with Barwin is if we dont get him, BoR will turn into a puddle of tears,,,:D
It happened with Gocong, then it happened with Bradley, crying my eyes out over a Linebacker is getting to be a habit...though my Mayo getting picked last year really did help heal some of the scars of yesteryear. The nice thing about this year, I've got two #1 LBs, one outside, one inside, even if I don't get Barwin in my stocking, there's a fighting chance I'll get Sintim in it instead.

There's a nice 2nd tier of safeties to consider there or later, like Chip Vaughn and Rashad Johnson. But the Sanders signing doesn't hugely shift my thinking on safeties, since it was pretty much unimaginable that the Pats would reach the draft with only one significant veteran safety on the roster. A Delmas or Chung is still an option, IMHO.
I'd like Delmas, but I'll take Barwin first, then try to cut a sweetheart deal with Hotlanta for #24 using #34 and a Day Two pick to get Delmas - they can get Chung to replace Malloy.

I'd like Delmas, but I'll take Barwin first, then try to cut a sweetheart deal with Hotlanta for #24 using #34 and a Day Two pick to get Delmas - they can get Chung to replace Malloy.

Are you trading with Atlanta because of the Dimitroff-BB connection?

Are you trading with Atlanta because of the Dimitroff-BB connection?
And because Safety is a "need" for them, they also need to continue rebuilding, so it will be a toss up for them, get a late first value at #24 or take similar value at #34 and pick up a Day two pick too. A lot would depend on who they might be shopping for, if a LB and Laurinaitis is falling, then waiting to #34 might not be wise, but I was looking at the Safety gap Malloy's departure might have left.

And because Safety is a "need" for them, they also need to continue rebuilding, so it will be a toss up for them, get a late first value at #24 or take similar value at #34 and pick up a Day two pick too. A lot would depend on who they might be shopping for, if a LB and Laurinaitis is falling, then waiting to #34 might not be wise, but I was looking at the Safety gap Malloy's departure might have left.

Don't forget they lost Brookings as well.

How so? It would seem to me that they would welcome extra picks.
I got thinking about that more after posting...was Brooking a first rounder? It seems there are a number of quality MLB types in this draft for Atlanta's defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe