PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#23, #34, #47, #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting what about darry beckwith from lsu or cushing from usc?

Beckwith too small to play inside in the 3/4. Cushing definitely would fit in the pats system

Throw out the 40 time? He ran a 4.8 40 at 240 lbs. How will he run with an extra 15 lbs? 4.95? I'm wary of Laurinitis. I don't like to drop players too far on athleticism alone but I think he's down to a 2nd round pick on my board and strictly as an ILB. I'm not sure that ILB is big enough of a need to spend a 2nd rounder on.

I think he runs around tackles too often as well. definitely 2nd rounder material. but does BB go LB again?

Sean Smith and Clay Mattews are my must get guys. I can be flexible on Smith but Matthews in the 2nd round is a must.

If Matthews is a MUST, then he will be picked at #23 or earlier if necessary. With Vrabel gone, I would expect us to pick a LB in the first round. The question is who and when in the first round.

I would also like to move up with one of our seconds into the first to get a second player for 5 years rather than 4.

Obviously, the key is to find out who we have acquired in trade or free agency by Draft Day. For example, most of us all but removed RB and TE from consideration in the first 3 rounds, unless someone just falls in our laps.

In additional to LB, we have needs at safety, and corner. We also need a DE if Wright isn't signed. However, I would feel much different if we signed Bodden, Lew Sanders, James Sanders, and Wright in the next week.

If Matthews is a MUST, then he will be picked at #23 or earlier if necessary. With Vrabel gone, I would expect us to pick a LB in the first round. The question is who and when in the first round.

I am thinking we trade down to #26 or #27 and pick up something for 2010.

I envision a draft heavy on defense. Then we pick up any combination of the following (With Unger being a must):

OLB (2)
Mathews
Cushings
Sintim
Barwin
English
Kruger

CB (1)
V Davis
D Moore
A Smith
B Johnson

Safety (1)
W Moore
Delmas
Hamlin

James Laurinaitis
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Sean Smith
Darius Butler
Clay Matthews
Louis Delmas
Clint Sintim
Connor Barwin
Alphonso Smith
Eric Wood
Jonathan Luigs
Chip Vaughn

Throw out the 40 time? He ran a 4.8 40 at 240 lbs. How will he run with an extra 15 lbs? 4.95? I'm wary of Laurinitis. I don't like to drop players too far on athleticism alone but I think he's down to a 2nd round pick on my board and strictly as an ILB. I'm not sure that ILB is big enough of a need to spend a 2nd rounder on.

I would like to replace T Johnson as a run stuffer inside. I wonder what his 40 was? and where he was drafted (I forget?)

I love home some here throw out like five names per pick. ;) I thought this was a 2 round mock?

23: Tyson Jackson
34: Alex Mack
47: Louis Delmas
58: Clint Sintim, he's still on the board here

Alphonso Smith, CB
Louis Delmas, S
Connor Barwin, OLB
Jarron Gilbert, DL (But I guess that he won't drop that much)

Dudes, Patrick Chung. A must in round 2.

Alphonso Smith, CB
Louis Delmas, S
Connor Barwin, OLB
Jarron Gilbert, DL (But I guess that he won't drop that much)

I can see a similiar scenario playing out. Here's a link that makes this seem possible.
If we go cb at 23, I think we have to take Barwin at 34. I doubt if he falls to 47. We
can take a S at 47. P.Chung. Then Gilbert at 58.

http://www/gbnreport.com/2009projection.html

I hate to project picks out this early but I will say that I expect one of these picks to be reinvested for a pick in 2010

I hate to project picks out this early but I will say that I expect one of these picks to be reinvested for a pick in 2010

That is certainly our track record. I'll even guess Carolina as the partner. They don't
have a 1st this year. They'll be salivating by the time 47 rolls around. They traded their 1st in 09 last year to move up for J.Otah. Worked then for them. Might be tempted again.
Raiders are usually a willing accomplice in this too.

Very possible. Also having three #2s gives us the option to take an offensive player like an OL or a Harvin/Maclin type WR if we really like someone. I love the defensive guys as much as everyone but we still have lots of high picks after round one.

#23 -- William Beatty - Athletic OT who could come in right away to push Kaczur, I would like any of the Top 6 OT's in the draft this year (Smith, Smith, Monroe, Oher and Britton, but I think Beatty is going to be the one. Unless a top 10 pick slips down to 23, I just think it may be early for Dalmus and Barwin who I think the Pats want badly.

#34 -- Louis Dalmus - a lot has already been said about his kid and I think that BB wants this kid to come in right away and compete.

#48 -- Barwin - Now that Mike V is gone this kid is an obvious choice for us if he does not go earlier. BB may use #34 on him and #23 with Dalmus depending on how much their stock rises leading up to the draft. Right now I think that we can get Dalmus at 34 and Barwin at 48 so this is the main reason I wanted to go with one of the top OT if one fell to #23.

#58 -- Jasper Brinkly - I like this kid at the combine and had to do my research as he ran better then many experts expected. I really think that BB could do some great things with this kid in the lineup and three young quality LB in the last two years makes me like our defense possibilities for next season.

I would like to fit Sean Smith into this somewhere but think a team is going to reach on him before BB would. Also I would not argue with a quality WR fell to us somewhere in the second as Gaffney is gone and Moss is north of 30y/o.

I am expanding the first day to include round 3 (old school first day). 6 picks in the top 100.

Something like this would work for me.

Barwin - 3rd down LB, specifically used in pass coverage and special teams in year 1.
Unger - Versatile lineman, takes one of the guard spots in 2010. 2009 plays the Hochstein role.
Delmas -which ever veteran they sign Springs / Bodden / L. Sanders will play some Safety, Delmas will be worked into the mix and contribute on special teams
Asher, CB, Georgia - Hobbs is likely gone after this year, have to feed the pipeline
Ricky Jean Francois - backup end, big upside, insurance in case Seymour leaves
Chip Vaugn - more depth for secondary

Day 2
- developmental WR and O Line

Just because everyone has an opinion on the trade I will add mine. I am sure you are dying to find out... thought they could have got more but am happy to have the cap space back and it is done, it is what it is. Most of all I am happy to have my job, each week I keep my job is a good thing, it is just stupid football (but oh how we love it so).

I don't think we're taking an OL in round 1. And unless we acquire a veteran OLB, we will definitely take an OLB prospect with either #23 or #34. I do not see Barwin lasting till #47 after his performance at the combine.

with all their picks...its like a kid in a candy store. and the class is pretty deep. pats can do about what they want....besides curry all other lbs seem to be about the same...plus and minuses for all. james Laur. even with his slow combine...cant he become a bruschi? smarts! almost any of the lbs mentioned before with BB could work out.

i am hoping for 1-2 lbs, a safety and an off lineman. corner thru free agency..if BB thinks we need one. what we need is a pass rush...for me the only way o get 3 and out nowadays .

also i am sure pats will trade for pick in next years draft.
BB can manouver how ever he wants in this years draft!

Hmm. Over in the OLB thread, a consensus seems to be building that Barwin is the #1 3-4 OLB prospect in this draft, which is unusually deep in 3-4 OLB prospects. Meanwhile in this thread, a consensus seems to be building that the Pats should take Barwin at #47.

I'm seeing a pretty big disconnect there. Do we really expect the Dolphins, Browns, Packers, 49ers & Broncos to ALL pass on the draft's top OLB between #23 and #47?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe