PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Realistic UFA Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
ooo ok well that was just my thinking. I hope if we do sign talib that he stays healthy. he got injured way too easily this year. And as far as it goes for WR FAs, i say either hartline or amendola. Amendola to me is like the younger WW. not as talented yet.... i say yet because his potential is just being discovered year by year. I'd be happy to have him along with a 2nd or 3rd round wr in the draft.

amendola sneezes and he hurts his hamstring and is out 3 games..no thanks

To the OP's question:

WR
Donnie Avery - Fast as hell, would be a good signing to get some speed on the field. I'm interested.
Ramses Barden - No idea. Hasn't had much opportunity in NY.
Domenik Hixon - For a reserve role and that's it.
Mohamed Massaquoi - Awful player. Not worth kicking tires.
Austin Collie - Needs to do his loved ones a favor and find another job.

OT
Jason Smith - Not even Scar can save this one.
Ryan Harris - Marcus Cannon with a more recognizable name.

OG
Geoff Schwartz (OG/OT) - No idea.
Doug Legursky - Awful player.

C
Rob Turner (OG/OT/OC) - No thanks.
Mike Pollak (OG/OC) - Who?

DE
William Hayes - OK player but no thanks.
Wallace Gilberry - Redundant with Armstead and Francis at best.
Matt Shaughnessy - Has some potential. I'd sleep on it.
Andre Carter - He's done.

DT
Sammie Lee Hill - Rather give Pryor one more shot.
Glenn Dorsey - Overrated. Let someone else find out he just isn't good.
Alan Branch - Upgrade over Love and Deaderick but not worth the money.
Ricky Jean-Francois - Don't know much about him.
Terrance Knighton - Good run stuffer but not a fit for what this team needs.

LB
Rey Maualuga - Garbage. Spikes without the talent.
DeAndre Levy - Love to kick the tires.
Larry Grant - Good LB who was buried in SF. Doesn't really fit a need.
Geno Hayes - Not sure. Haven't seen enough.
Brandon Siler - No thanks. Nothing to see here.

CB
Derek Cox - HELL YEAH:rocker:
Brent Grimes - Very Good player but coming off injury, and playing in a division with small WRs has sheltered him a bit IMO. Depends how much money is involved.
Jerraud Powers - As an Arrington replacement I'd bite.
Captain Munnerlyn - Ellis Hobbs 2.0. As depth only.
Jacob Lacey - Definitely not.

S
Louis Delmas - Only on the cheap. Unreliable player.
Kenny Phillips - If the money is right. Good player.
Chris Clemons - Not sure. Don't know much about him.
Corey Lynch - No.
Jamarca Sanford - Top special teams guy, not really a safety.

I missed Deandre Levy the first time through the list. Another interesting guy to take a look at. Like Shaughnessy, an ex-Wisconsin Badger. Levy doesn't really fit the Pats prototypical size for their LB's but he is a very good LB against the pass (serious need for the Pats unless Fletcher fills that role)and was a superb special teams player in college. I, too, would kick the tires to see what he is asking.

You omitted a plethora of talented NFL players for no apparent reason and then tell me that that's not the way the Patriots do business. The Patriots do business by finding value in players and making good signings. There's absolutely no reason why any player would not be a consideration for them at this point, especially considering that the free agency market has yet to develop.

Over the last few years, the Patriots made huge plays for guys like Anquan Boldin and Julius Peppers, and although they felt the bidding was too high, they were certainly not scared off by a "big name."

You included Austin Collie on the list, along with Jason Smith, yet you make it sound as though these are "realistic." They are hot garbage. The fact that you think these players should be included, while many other excellent players should not be certainly made me think this is really not worth discussing much further, other than to make a quick comment that this isn't a very well thought out list, which apparently you didn't find funny. You think there is a more realistic chance the Patriots sign Collie or Smith than a player like Ed Reed or Dwayne Bowe? And that either one of these guys (along with a bunch of others on here) would even make it past August 15th?

In addition, you sound like a whiny little princess that is very hurt because of a reply to your thread.

See this reply actually included feedback.. Not just a stupid comment. If you had went with this approach originally we would not be having this conversation.

16 60 90 676 11.3 39 7 37 0 0
9 58 71 649 11.2 73 8 32 1 1

Austin Collie stats the first 3 years of his career with Manning, he is hardly a garbage player.

Jason Smith the #2 overall pick in 2009 has a ton of talent but has not lived up to it but as a depth guy at a low cost he is an option.

We may of inquired about big name players in the past but we have not signed was Thomas in 2007 and that was a $35M deal hardly a historic deal.

As for me sounding like a princess not at all just pointing out the fact that you didn't bring value and you weren't funny at all. I call a spade a spade buddy.

ooo ok well that was just my thinking. I hope if we do sign talib that he stays healthy. he got injured way too easily this year. And as far as it goes for WR FAs, i say either hartline or amendola. Amendola to me is like the younger WW. not as talented yet.... i say yet because his potential is just being discovered year by year. I'd be happy to have him along with a 2nd or 3rd round wr in the draft.

Read a lot about Amendola and his stock is really high so it appears he is going to command good money in FA. Injury history isn't that great either.

Realistic? It's realistic that we could sign ANY free agent.We dont have to aim low we are a major NFL franchise. If BB is enamored with someone he will make a strong push for them period. So shove that lowballing crap.

Goodness. With all our depth, half of those guys in the original post wouldn't even make the team.

Read a lot about Amendola and his stock is really high so it appears he is going to command good money in FA. Injury history isn't that great either.

maybe. but he can't expect too much money either especially if his injury history isn't that good. That'll def become a bargaining chip. and if he really does get injured easily wow, def didn't know that. I haven't followed amendola to a T so i wouldn't know just knew that he was really coming into his own this year and at one point he was leading receiver in the NFL.

maybe. but he can't expect too much money either especially if his injury history isn't that good. That'll def become a bargaining chip. and if he really does get injured easily wow, def didn't know that. I haven't followed amendola to a T so i wouldn't know just knew that he was really coming into his own this year and at one point he was leading receiver in the NFL.

People scream that Amendola is an injury red flag, but to be honest both of his major injuries - the dislocated elbow in 2011 and the dislocated clavicle this year (that popped inward and almost killed him) - were freak injuries. Its not like he has had multiple knee surgeries the past 2-3 years or a recurring back issue.

Amendola will definitely get a nice contract from someone (if not franchised by the Rams). Remember the NFL is a copycat league. Teams see the impact Welker makes for the Pats and will try to replicate it. Personally, I think Amendola has the chance to be as good as Welker going forward (if not a little better because he looks more natural running routes downfield). Plus, if you watched tape of both at Texas Tech, you would have a hard time telling who was who if you couldn't see the number (similar sizes / skills).

If the Pats don't think WW is worth $10-11m, I'd love to see them try to bring Amendola in around the $6-8m range. That would leave them a bit of money to go after a Donnie Avery / Devery Henderson / Brian Hartline type receiver as well or plug a different hole (CB / S / OL / coverage LB).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST