PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much can you trust NEPatriotsDraft after last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I only bring this up because I always see them Advertising on this forum.

I have no grudge or ill will towards them. But I was visiting their page and just wondered, how can anyone have any faith in their credibility after the terribly inaccurate big board they put out last year?

2011 NFL Draft: Big Board | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2012 NFL Draft

Final Top 100 posted – April 25th, 2011

1. AJ Green, WR, Georgia
2. Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama
3. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
4. Nick Fairley, DL, Auburn
5. Tyron Smith, OT, USC
6. Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
7. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

8. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
9. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
10. Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
11. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
12. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
13. Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

14. Jake Locker, QB, Washington
15. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
16. JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
17. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple
18. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
19. Gabe Carimi, OL, Wisconsin
20. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

21. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
22. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
23. Von Miler, OLB, Texas A&M
24. Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
25. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
26. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
27. Marvin Austin, DL, North Carolina
28. Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
29. Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
30. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt
31. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
32. Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
33. Corey Liguet, DL, Illinois
34. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
35. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
36. Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
37. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
38. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
39. Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
40. Allen Bailey, DL, Miami
41. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
42. Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
43. Ben Ijalana, OL, Villanova
44. Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
45. Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
46. Stephen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
47. Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
48. Titus Young, WR, Boise State
49. Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
50. Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
51. Christian Ballard, DL, Iowa
52. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
53. Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
54. Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
55. Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada
56. John Moffitt, OL, Wisconsin
57. Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin
58. Danny Watkins, OL, Baylor
59. Clint Boling, OL, Georgia
60. Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
61. Demarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma
62. Sam Acho, DE/OLB, Texas
63. Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona
64. Kenrick Ellis, DL, Hampton
65. Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State
66. Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
67. Terrell McClain, DL, USF
68. Dontay Moch, DE/OLB, Nevada
69. Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
70. Mason Foster, OLB, Washington
71. Marcus Gilbert, OL, Florida
72. James Carpenter, OL, Alabama
73. Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas State
74. Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
75. Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU
76. Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
77. Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
78. Orlando Franklin, OL, Miami
79. Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
80. Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
81. Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
82. Jarvis Jenkins, DL, Clemson
83. Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
84. Taiwan Jones, RB, Eastern Washington
85. Will Rackley, OL, Lehigh
86. Jurrell Casey, DL, USC
87. Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina
88. Edmond Gates, WR, ACU
89. Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee
90. KJ Wright, DE, Mississippi State
91. Greg Little, WR, North Carolina
92. Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State
93. Chris Carter, DE/OLB, Fresno State
94. Jaiquawn Jarrett, S, Temple
95. Marcus Gilchrist, DB, Clemson
96. Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii
97. Sione Fua, DL, Stanford
98. Virgil Green, TE, Nevada
99. Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma
100. Jordan Todman, RB, UConn

While it's only been 1 year, and a lot of these are too early to call. We can easily see some MASSIVE errors. Everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect, but these are huge errors in judgement that make me question their credibility as a legitimate website. If they were real scouts/analysts, they'd be fired by now.

-Cam Newton not even ranked in the Top 10, and not even ranked as the #1 QB. Blaine Gabbert is ranked ahead of Cam. Horrible analysis of the most popular player in last years draft.

-DaQuan Bowers and Fairley ahead of JJ Watt. Watt is a future pro bowler.

-Bowers and Robert Quinn ahead of Aldon Smith. Laughable. Aldon had the best rookie season for a pass rusher in a long long time.

-Andy Dalton ranked #77. Wayyyyyy too low. Looks like a solid QB so far.

-Jabaal Sheard and Ryan Kerrigan ranked way too low.

-Von Miller ranked #23. They went against every other analyst with that prediction and it was 100% wrong. Miller has turned out exactly how he was projected to as the 2nd pick overall.

I have nothing against the site, but I can't take them serious anymore. It is what it is.

Cherry-pick much?

Find me a scout / site that hasn't made errors and I'll show you a coward.

I had Smith higher than pretty much anyone else out there... was one of my favorite prospects.

Loved Watt as well.

Was not a huge fan of Newton, and that was a big miss. Certainly wasn't alone there.

Missed on Gabbert so far, but it is tough to say with the terrible WR corps he had.

Still not a huge fan of Von Miller, he played exactly like I thought he would.

----

Also the same Top-100 board that you are bashing was the #1 ranked board on the internet.

THE HUDDLE REPORT -  NFL DRAFT

No hard feeling to you MrNathanDrake, you're entitled to your opinion.

First, I wouldn't say they are advertising, they are valued contributors to this forum. They add a lot here and I have a a great deal of faith in them. I may not always agree with some of their evaluations, but I can always trust that it is their own evaluations and their is no ulterior motive behind it.

Second, what you posted is a big board and not a mock draft, so you can't really compare it to where guys were drafted because that is not its purpose. And after 1 season I don't think you can really make any evaluations about the accuracy of it because its far too early. Hindsight is 20-20, so I don't think its fair to criticize someone after the fact. Sure they may have missed on some guys, but go and look at any expert big board and you will find exactly the same thing. That's what is great about the draft, its such an unpredictable and dynamic environment.

Cherry-pick much?

It's not cherry picking. They missed on some of the best players in the entire draft.

Sure there are errors here and there. A JaMarcus Russell here and there. But most Big Boards don't miss on so many prospects and rank the best players far lower than they should be ranked.
I had Smith higher than pretty much anyone else out there... was one of my favorite prospects.

Loved Watt as well.

If a GM were to listen to your big board, they would've taken Cameron Jordan, Nick Fairley, and DaQuan Bowers before Aldon Smith or JJ Watt. We can let Fairley slide since he was injured, but the other two are laughable.

Was not a huge fan of Newton, and that was a big miss. Certainly wasn't alone there.
Big time MISS.

Missed on Gabbert so far, but it is tough to say with the terrible WR corps he had.
Big time MISS.

Played like you thought he would? Excuse me... but he was a Pro Bowler and had more sacks than any player on our team last year... as a Rookie!

Also the same Top-100 board that you are bashing was the #1 ranked board on the internet.

THE HUDDLE REPORT -* NFL DRAFT
Never heard of that site before. Obviously they were wrong ranking your big board so high.

It's not cherry picking. They missed on some of the best players in the entire draft.

Sure there are errors here and there. A JaMarcus Russell here and there. But most Big Boards don't miss on so many prospects and rank the best players far lower than they should be ranked.

If a GM were to listen to your big board, they would've taken Cameron Jordan, Nick Fairley, and DaQuan Bowers before Aldon Smith or JJ Watt. We can let Fairley slide since he was injured, but the other two are laughable.

Big time MISS.

Big time MISS.

Played like you thought he would? Excuse me... but he was a Pro Bowler and had more sacks than any player on our team last year... as a Rookie!

Never heard of that site before. Obviously they were wrong ranking your big board so high.

Its been 1 season, how much can you really say about a draft class? Nobody predicted Newton to be as good as he was and nobody predicted Gabbertt to be as bad as he was. Nick Fairley and Da'Quan Bowers were clearly the superior prospects at draft time, but Fairley dropped because of character concerns and Bowers dropped because of medical issues. In 3 years time we will see who the best players are. Right now its far too early to make any determinations about that draft.

It's not cherry picking. They missed on some of the best players in the entire draft. (1)

If a GM were to listen to your big board, they would've taken Cameron Jordan, Nick Fairley, and DaQuan Bowers before Aldon Smith or JJ Watt. We can let Fairley slide since he was injured, but the other two are laughable. (2)

Played like you thought he would? Excuse me... but he was a Pro Bowler and had more sacks than any player on our team last year... as a Rookie! (3)

Never heard of that site before. Obviously they were wrong ranking your big board so high. (4)

1. I am sorry that I do not own a crystal ball. I'm sure the NFL would be interested in yours.

2. DaQuan Bowers was injured as well. Watt certainly performed better than Jordan.

3. Miller had a very productive start to the season, especially against some iffy teams. I said he would be a phenomenal situational pass-rusher and not a stout OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. I stand by that evaluation.

4. I assure you that they are correct. I was correct on 84 of the top 100 picks. Only Bob McGinn of the MSJ did better. It's just one measure, but if I am as bad as you say I am, look at all those other sites and evaluators below me (Mike Mayock, Rick Gosselin, Mel Kiper Jr., etc...). Not saying I'm better than they are, just pointing out your flawed logic.

Cherry-pick much?

Loved Watt as well.

----

THE HUDDLE REPORT -* NFL DRAFT

No hard feeling to you MrNathanDrake, you're entitled to your opinion.

That line bothers me.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-of-the-season-miller-much-more-than-the-roy/

Von Miller(and I can't find the exact article) was in the top 5 in run defense, top 5 in pass rushing, and #1 in coverage as a LB this past season. Kid is phenomenal, and is going to continue to be for a very, very long time. If by you played like he thought he would, you meant top 5 or 10 LB already in the NFL, then you were spot on. But since you had him near 50 in your rankings, I'm thinking that that was not quite what you had in mind.

That line bothers me.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-of-the-season-miller-much-more-than-the-roy/

Von Miller(and I can't find the exact article) was in the top 5 in run defense, top 5 in pass rushing, and #1 in coverage as a LB this past season. Kid is phenomenal, and is going to continue to be for a very, very long time. If by you played like he thought he would, you meant top 5 or 10 LB already in the NFL, then you were spot on. But since you had him near 50 in your rankings, I'm thinking that that was not quite what you had in mind.

Profootballlfocus is a poor source to use to rate a player.

1. I am sorry that I do not own a crystal ball. I'm sure the NFL would be interested in yours.

2. DaQuan Bowers was injured as well. Watt certainly performed better than Jordan.

3. Miller had a very productive start to the season, especially against some iffy teams. I said he would be a phenomenal situational pass-rusher and not a stout OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. I stand by that evaluation.

4. I assure you that they are correct. I was correct on 84 of the top 100 picks. Only Bob McGinn of the MSJ did better. It's just one measure, but if I am as bad as you say I am, look at all those other sites and evaluators below me (Mike Mayock, Rick Gosselin, Mel Kiper Jr., etc...). Not saying I'm better than they are, just pointing out your flawed logic.

Gosselin is seen as one of the best. He too had Fairley above Watt and Quinn above Aldon Smith. I think MrNathanDrake isn't going to find too many reliable sources if even Gosselin is a let down to him.

Update: Mike Mayock had Gabbert ahead of Newton, Fairley ahead of Watt and both Bowers and Quinn ahead of Smith.

I'm pleased by this thread and process. We're doing a public service by highlighting pundits that Mr Drake can disregard. That's Mayock and Gosselin (two of the best) off the list along with NEPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes