PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2025’s underwhelming QB class makes landing a QB this year that much more important.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I think this is something that many are missing the mark with.

In a vacuum, I get the idea of trading down and punting at the position from a team development standpoint. If you feel you need significant help across the roster, a QB can only mask up those weaknesses so much.

But ultimately, filling those holes is a moot point without a quality QB under center. This has to come first.

Some have mentioned waiting to land the QB next year, when he would have a better supporting cast. But who assumes that will even be an option?

It can change, but next years Draft class looks awfully similar to the 22 class. One guy likely will have a 1st round grade. (Sanders) But the rest will more be mid-round talent prospects people will try and convince themselves into being 1st round guys. (think Ewers, Beck)

With that knowledge, you pretty much can’t expect great odds of landing a franchise QB next year. Meaning you’re now stuck with:

A. Waiting until 2026 to land that franchise QB in the draft. (And hoping he develops by 27-28) You’re pretty much punting on the next three seasons with this approach.

B. Going into the vet market and strapping your cap space for an aging middle of the road vet like Dak Prescott. Go this route and.. congrats. You’ve become the Falcons.

I think people who think it’ll be easy to land the right QB later on dismiss how rare it is to be in the position we’re in right now.

QBs come along and develop each and every year. It's really hard to say.

I do want a QB this year since there's no point in waiting but there are a lot of guys with pro ability in college right now.

There are guys who are ranked the 20th best pro prospect for next year and they may be the first QB selected.

Some of those guys will really develop this season and their stock will go up. I will be watching as many Texas games as I can to see how Ewers does in the SEC. if he goes out and throws almost 70% and 3500 yards again against that competition, he will most assuredly rise.

Some of those guys will really develop this season and their stock will go up. I will be watching as many Texas games as I can to see how Ewers does in the SEC. if he goes out and throws almost 70% and 3500 yards again against that competition, he will most assuredly rise.
Not a major fan of Mac Ewers personally

Not a major fan of Mac Ewers personally
I have a soft spot in my heart for just about everything Texas these days, so if A&M, TCU or the Longhorns are on TV, I'll be tuned in. I was all in on Ewers until he got hurt this fall. He was not the same after. I think going back for his Sr. year was the right call, and I really want to see how he does this fall. He's just a kid, so it'll be very interesting, at least from my house. I think he's much better than Mac.

Here are a few dark horses that I find interesting. Brady Cook from Mizzou and Matt Sluka was at Holy Cross and in 2024 UNLV.

Will Howard, who moved from Kansas State to Ohio State, is one to keep an eye on. 6'5", 240lb. Looked good in the KState games I saw last year. I'd have no problem trading out to load up other positions and then targeting Howard next year. I find him more interesting than what's on offer this year.

QBs come along and develop each and every year. It's really hard to say.

I do want a QB this year since there's no point in waiting but there are a lot of guys with pro ability in college right now.

There are guys who are ranked the 20th best pro prospect for next year and they may be the first QB selected.
This ^

Jayden Daniels was hardly on anyone's radar the season before last, every year new guys develop and become solid prospects.

The last "generational talent" QB prospect we had was Trevor Lawrence... he hasn't been that yet as a pro. We'll see...

Given how poorly most draft experts do at rating QBs.... that makes me all the more excited about next year's class.

Hindsight is a funny thing, I remember 2020 people saying Justin Herbert wasn't very great and had warts, some people were pushing Tua instead.

If the Dolphins could do it all over again, they would take Herbert, even if they wouldn't say that aloud now. Hell Brian Flores might still have his job if they had.

The most important thing is how they feel about the QB's coming out THIS year. If they believe in one, and he's there, take him. Even if next year were loaded, I don't want them to pass on a guy they like just because there COULD be a better one next year. Conversely, if they really don't believe in the guys left at 3, I don't want them taking one there because they're afraid next year won't be as good. Evaluate Maye, or Daniels, or McCarthy (if he's your thing) on his own. He's either worth it or he's not.

Will Howard, who moved from Kansas State to Ohio State, is one to keep an eye on. 6'5", 240lb. Looked good in the KState games I saw last year. I'd have no problem trading out to load up other positions and then targeting Howard next year. I find him more interesting than what's on offer this year.
He's also a good looking kid, we don't want ugly QBs in New England.

Hindsight is a funny thing, I remember 2020 people saying Justin Herbert wasn't very great and had warts, some people were pushing Tua instead.

If the Dolphins could do it all over again, they would take Herbert, even if they wouldn't say that aloud now. Hell Brian Flores might still have his job if they had.
Over 90% of the QBs coming out have warts, some work out, some don't. Hopefully the front office we have now can separate the wheat from the chaff. Very few years do you have a Peyton Manning that just about a sure thing.

If the class is underwhelming, why are there such high expectations on finding one?

Considering up until about 3 months ago, McCarthy was hardly registering breaking into the first round, let alone being billed as NFL ready and of the top 3, I have a hunch that at the very least it will suddenly "improve."

That being said, I've thought about this a lot. I do think there's merit in acknowledging that, however I don't think it's something to hitch a wagon to through thick and thin. At the end of the day, if the guy who you and your organization put most faith into isn't there, or wasn't there to begin with, forcing something is a sure fire way to waste a pick that still could've netted another day-one, potentially generational talent. THAT'S the opportunity you don't waste, especially if your team has much need for them on arguably any level you look at.

With Egbuka staying (who had a monster Soph year with Stroud), that could be interesting.

Considering up until about 3 months ago, McCarthy was hardly registering breaking into the first round, let alone being billed as NFL ready and of the top 3, I have a hunch that at the very least it will suddenly "improve."

That being said, I've thought about this a lot. I do think there's merit in acknowledging that, however I don't think it's something to hitch a wagon to through thick and thin. At the end of the day, if the guy who you and your organization put most faith into isn't there, or wasn't there to begin with, forcing something is a sure fire way to waste a pick that still could've netted another day-one, potentially generational talent. THAT'S the opportunity you don't waste, especially if your team has much need for them on arguably any level you look at.
Looking at the Mock Database graph, it wasn't even winning the Championship that caused the rise, it was clearly the Combine a month and a half ago, when he was hanging out at around 30 then jumped to 15 in a few days then steadily rose to a consensus 6/7.

Last edited:
To OP.. this is a narative that is spoken every year as an argument to push teams to overdraft year on year. Its complete BS. There is only two first round QBs in this draft.

This is a unique year. Nix, Penix, Daniels would all have been in last years draft if not for covid.

People really overestimate the number of risers every year. The QB classes are generally ranked before the season and after and do not change in terms of overall first round picks that much.
For every Burrow and Daniels there are just as many that fail expectations.
Looking at pre-season rankings of QB's Jordan Travis was ranked #4 with thoughts he could push Williams for #1. So, for every riser there is a dropper.

Next year's class is going to be poor at QB, I continue to say it might be the worst draft in the last 10 years in terms of day 1 talent.

You saw the effect this year as there were 30% less underclassmen declared this year than normal. These players stay longer, get nil money and increase draft profile so the trends will probably be the same next year without the extra covid players.

-You want to draft as many times in the top 4 rounds this year, if you can trade any picks after round 1 next year to do that this year do that
-With the lack of underclassmen, the draft is top heavy, trade day 3 picks to move up, or to future years
-If you have a choice between 2025 1st or 2026 1st then take the 2026 1st
-Take the QB this year

With all that they are drafting a QB in first round this year, that's pretty much 99% certain at this point.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back