PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Free Agents (rankings)... Which options can join the Patriots??

Godwin is a possession receiver so we're already set there with Bourne and Meyers. Need someone to seriously upgrade Agholor.

If Bill wants to break the bank, Davante Adams will be available. But if he doesn't go back to GB, I expect him to go to Oakland to reunite with Derek Carr.

I wonder if OBJ’s injury in the Super Bowl will help lower his value a little bit. He seems like a really good fit to me. He’s not a game-breaking elite WR1 but he could help round out the WR corps… sign him, then draft Slade Bolden - feels like a good group. Then otherwise focus primarily on D.

OBJ is fragile. Gone when needed the most Pass!

Akiem Hicks may be a realistic possibility. If he wants to win this may be a good fit for both sides. Sign me up. I mean, sign HIM up.

I wonder if OBJ’s injury in the Super Bowl will help lower his value a little bit. He seems like a really good fit to me. He’s not a game-breaking elite WR1 but he could help round out the WR corps… sign him, then draft Slade Bolden - feels like a good group. Then otherwise focus primarily on D.
Rams can't afford him. He's another player that would be a good fit if the asking price isn't unreasonable. But, we've been down this road before and we know the Pats won't overpay such a player.

Edit: Also, Skyy Moore is a better player than Slade Bolden (7th round talent). Bolden is no Jules and Moore is more likely to become the security blanket Mac needs.

It's going to destroy his value, because there's a good chance he doesn't play next season. His last ACL recovery was 11 months, which would put him on track to miss all of next regular season. That's probably on the optimistic end of the timeline this time around now that he's torn the same ACL twice in 16 months.

The offense ain't making ANY kind of leap unless you improve the O-line coaching. Period.

Mac Jones was 26th in number of sacks and 13th in pass attempts.

The Patriots were 8th in rushing yards without a running QB.

There's always room for improvement, but doesn't seem like a huge problem considering the team doesn't have a #1 receiver or a back who can pick up the blitz.

there's a report that Agholor could get traded back to Raiders with JMD. If that could happen, I'd be thrilled. Use that WR money to get a better threat for longer term - Godwin, Mike Williams, Robinson or spreading it to Humphries or Berrios and a DL (Jones, Hicks).
Truthfully, I think we need a Humphries or Berrios type more than a "deep threat". Because Meyers is a Robinson type. Bourne is a Williams type. We need to find the next Edelman.

Paying 15+ million for players that aren’t WR1s (Mike Williams, DJ Chark, etc.) is compounding a problem. Regardless of a torn ACL I don’t think Godwin does much to open up the middle of the field & get safeties to back off for 20+ million a year. No thanks.

Trade for Calvin Ridley. He’s a top 10 WR that fits the offense & will have an 11 million cap hit. There is risk involved but that’s why he’s available.

On defense I’m a fan of Charvarius Ward and I think he’s someone who could improve on his next team. He had 51% comp pct. 73.6 rating against & has experience in a press man defense. Carlton Davis is similar.

Ridley + a JC Jackson replacement is realistic & lets them enter the draft with flexibility to go BPA IMO.
What are your thoughts on a Jerry Jeudy trade?
Signing DJ Chark or Jarvis Landry?
Or trading for a
there's a report that Agholor could get traded back to Raiders with JMD. If that could happen, I'd be thrilled. Use that WR money to get a better threat for longer term - Godwin, Mike Williams, Robinson or spreading it to Humphries or Berrios and a DL (Jones, Hicks).
Truthfully, I think we need a Humphries or Berrios type more than a "deep threat". Because Meyers is a Robinson type. Bourne is a Williams type. We need to find the next Edelman.
steal Berrios back from Jets.

We're not gaining much money by trading him. The gain would be $4,882,000.

Are we going to find another receiver for that price?

I doubt it.

They would have to give us a good draft pick, like a 3rd or 4th.

Devandre Campbell, Folorunso Fatukasi ,Braxton Berrios or Jameson Crowder and Duane Brown. Those are 4 names I think come in and can make an impact.

Pick any of the WR lotto tickets that still have a decent ceiling (DJ Chark, Treadwell, Lazard etc..) Bring them to camp to fight for a spot.

My very early thoughts. Fatuskai I'm sorta bullish on.

I doubt it.

That's not correct. They gain $4.8M if they cut him. They gain $9.8M if they trade him.

That's not correct. They gain $4.8M if they cut him. They gain $9.8M if they trade him.

We should give the Raiders a pick to take him.

There's rumors the Raiders are making a run at D. Adams.

there's a report that Agholor could get traded back to Raiders with JMD. If that could happen, I'd be thrilled.
Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd let JC walk and sign Godwin.

Give Mac everything he needs and rebuilt the defense through the draft.
I honestly agree with this. Bill is excellent at finding Corners. What he's terrible with is drafting WRs. Sign Godwin and trade Agahlor for a bag of balls. Draft a corner in the first round.

I honestly agree with this. Bill is excellent at finding Corners. What he's terrible with is drafting WRs. Sign Godwin and trade Agahlor for a bag of balls. Draft a corner in the first round.
I think is is more accurate to say that Belichick doesn't draft wide receivers. In the last 10 years he has only drafted 2 WR's in the the first 3 rounds; Harry in the 1st in 2019 and Dobson in the 2nd in 2013.

I doubt it.

Actually, the Pats free up 9.88M if they trade him before June 1st. The 4.88M is in addition to the 5M they'd save if they just cut him.

Paying 15+ million for players that aren’t WR1s (Mike Williams, DJ Chark, etc.) is compounding a problem. Regardless of a torn ACL I don’t think Godwin does much to open up the middle of the field & get safeties to back off for 20+ million a year. No thanks.

Trade for Calvin Ridley. He’s a top 10 WR that fits the offense & will have an 11 million cap hit. There is risk involved but that’s why he’s available.

On defense I’m a fan of Charvarius Ward and I think he’s someone who could improve on his next team. He had 51% comp pct. 73.6 rating against & has experience in a press man defense. Carlton Davis is similar.

Ridley + a JC Jackson replacement is realistic & allows them to enter the draft with flexibility IMO.
No one is trading for Ridley until he has made a decision on returning. Which he hasn't.

Why would the Pats need a Jackson replacement? They aren't letting him walk.. And I doubt they're gonna trade him. Not when they have just Mills, Williams and Wade. And Wade is an unknown.

how much space do we have to work with this year?
Right now, about 4.8M.. They will be freeing up quite a bit in the next few weeks through changing salary to signing bonus, extensions, etc.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back