PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

Matt Waldman on McCaffrey blocking ability

I love Magloire. At less than 230lbs, he struggles when blocked, but he's so adept at picking his way through the line, as your video shows, that matters less. I wish he was a little more athletic but Magliore is all heart and is an outstanding tackler. He's definitely one of my binkies.

What do people around here think of RB Samaje Perine? I think we need a tough runner to complement White/Lewis and this dude seems like a later round solution.

He reminds me of MJD with his low center of gravity and elite vision.

Covers like a CB, has unreal range and speed and tackles in space.
But on some site he has 4,60 forty range? Is he Harmon replacement or more SS type?

I think he can play free, strong and nickel CB. But there's probably a reason he's not going to the combine or being highly rated. From what I've seen, he looks pretty assignment sound but perhaps without the top level athleticism you'd expect from a starter.

So, this is my question of the day.

If we are looking at star backers or money backers, do you think it's better to draft an undersized LB or an oversized safety? Typically, you are limited to undersized LBs, but there are 3-4 safeties that could easily play in the box.

I think we definitely draft for the star backer position, but I have put a lot more focus on Obi Melfonwu to fit that role. Harvey-Clemons is another who would be a few rounds later, but I get the appeal of guys like Magloire as well.

What say you?

What do people around here think of RB Samaje Perine? I think we need a tough runner to complement White/Lewis and this dude seems like a later round solution.

He reminds me of MJD with his low center of gravity and elite vision.

I'm making my way down the RBs. I'll watch him and Hill in more detail next.

A player that is near binky level and can do what your looking for is Clemson RB Wayne Gallman. A complete RB that finishes runs, is good in short yardage, and has good ball security. He just looks like he knows what he's doing:

He's not the fastest guy and will need to get used to running under singleback & I-formation as well as improve pass blocking but he's a natural runner/all-around RB. Currently my third RB after Fournette/McCaffrey.

-------------------------------

McCaffrey's route running is absurd for a RB. I agree with @manxman2601 that he could replace Amendola. Patient, runs with power, doesn't fumble, etc. Shame we have Lewis/White but he's a beast. Definitely a potential BPA pick and could play with those two anyway in 2017.

He's not the fastest guy and will need to get used to running under singleback & I-formation as well as improve pass blocking but he's a natural runner/all-around RB. Currently my third RB after Fournette/McCaffrey.

Yeah I love Gallman but I think you're gunna have to spend a 2nd to get him. 3rd-5th is usually where I'm comfortable taking a RB.

I love Magloire. At less than 230lbs, he struggles when blocked, but he's so adept at picking his way through the line, as your video shows, that matters less. I wish he was a little more athletic but Magliore is all heart and is an outstanding tackler. He's definitely one of my binkies.

Do you have any thoughts on Ben Gedeon? He's a tad bit bigger but also very athletic.

Do you have any thoughts on Ben Gedeon? He's a tad bit bigger but also very athletic.

He's a good solid middle linebacker. That sounds like I'm damning with faint praise and I am a little - I didn't see anything that got my blood pumping, but I didn't see anything that gave me too much concern either. Apart from, and this is where I disagree with you a little, a lack of explosive athleticism. He is 15-20lbs bigger than Magloire though so that's understandable. They're both day 3 linebackers that will need to fill a role on special teams and they're both worthy backup calibre players. There's just something about Magloire that I really like and I'm struggling to define what that is over and above Gedeon. A touch more athleticism perhaps? a bit more intensity?

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to Gedeon. I liked what I saw but I didn't quite 'feel it'. I hope that makes sense.

He's a good solid middle linebacker. That sounds like I'm damning with faint praise and I am a little - I didn't see anything that got my blood pumping, but I didn't see anything that gave me too much concern either. Apart from, and this is where I disagree with you a little, a lack of explosive athleticism. He is 15-20lbs bigger than Magloire though so that's understandable. They're both day 3 linebackers that will need to fill a role on special teams and they're both worthy backup calibre players. There's just something about Magloire that I really like and I'm struggling to define what that is over and above

Thanks. He sounded like an interesting prospect and the reviews on his intelligence and work ethic seemed very Patriots like.

Thanks. He sounded like an interesting prospect and the reviews on his intelligence and work ethic seemed very Patriots like.

I agree. But BB tends to like athleticism too and that's where I think he may not quite fit. But I'll certainly be keeping an eye open for him from now. Smarts and character are certainly important to BB. Does he play special teams?

Edit: Yes he does. That helps a bunch.

Played cover teams all four years and finished with 23 special teams tackles.

McCaffrey's route running is absurd for a RB. I agree with @manxman2601 that he could replace Amendola. Patient, runs with power, doesn't fumble, etc. Shame we have Lewis/White but he's a beast. Definitely a potential BPA pick and could play with those two anyway in 2017.

I still think he is an option at 32 if the Pats evaluate the same way as some people here have. At this point a lot of posters are overrating White a lot. In my opinion he has shown nothing consistently special about himself and I expect him to leave in FA when his contract is up next year.

Similarly, if McC's route running really is that good he would be the ideal (emergency) depth behind Dola/Edelman and a swiss army knife of mismatches on offense in general. Being able to run the ball somewhat consistently _and_ be "short-range" WR depth is very valuable imho.

All that being said, I am still most concerned about LB and CB2. Can't wait for FA to shine a light on some of that stuff..

At this point a lot of posters are overrating White a lot. In my opinion he has shown nothing consistently special about himself and I expect him to leave in FA when his contract is up next year.
I remember watchin some Michael Lombardi interview where he stated that James White looked like Ladain Tomlison in some practices when they evaluated him. Then he said that that look vanished. i am hyped about Mccafrey too, but we will see what plans BB&co have.

I still think he is an option at 32 if the Pats evaluate the same way as some people here have. At this point a lot of posters are overrating White a lot. In my opinion he has shown nothing consistently special about himself and I expect him to leave in FA when his contract is up next year.

Similarly, if McC's route running really is that good he would be the ideal (emergency) depth behind Dola/Edelman and a swiss army knife of mismatches on offense in general. Being able to run the ball somewhat consistently _and_ be "short-range" WR depth is very valuable imho.

All that being said, I am still most concerned about LB and CB2. Can't wait for FA to shine a light on some of that stuff..

I agree on posters overrating White abit. He had a great SB, and he's always been a sure thing receiving, but rushing (minus SB) he's been blahh. We almost give away our plans when White is in (pass) vs Blount (run)

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back