PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Practice Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
About Mike Hilton...yep, he's a Patriot:

IMG_20160906_122953.jpg

I thought before his injury in TC: Bryce Williams was having a good camp and then AJ Derby took off. I think it will be the Gronk and Derby show moving froward even if Bennett doesn't work out. The Pats are pretty much set @TE for while. I like that they kept Clay Harbor because he's a back-up for James Develin a player who can line-up also at FB. With the extra TE's/FB's that takes alot of pressure off our Fragile WR's. Our Big sets are going to be fun to watch because we can stretch the Field with TE's like Gronk and Derby... Defenses are going to have their hands full.
If we run an offense with 2 TEs and 2 WRs, why do we consider the 4th TE and spare part, but everyone expected 5 WRs?
Consider Bennett and Derby as playing our unique TE/WR position, and its clear why we kept Harbor.
We will have 3 game days active TEs, IMO, and because of his play on STs, and versatility to play in both TE spots, I am expecting Harbor active, and Derby inactive. Also we have always used an extra OL as a goal line TE. We need 4 on the roster but not active.
At WR it is possible only 3 will be active as well, but doubtful.

With only 8 guys on the current practice squad after today, my takeaway is that the Pats intend to fill spots 9 and 10 with guys who are currently on the 53. These are guys he thought would be claimed off waivers today, and he thinks will be ignored on waivers tomorrow because most teams consider their rosters "set" at the end of the day today. Belichick has done this in the past before.

So the questions are, which 2 guys would they be, and who will replace them on the 53? My guess on one of the replacements is Keyshawn Martin - reporters say his locker is still intact; Belichick may have had a wink/nudge agreement to bring him back and felt there was no chance he would be claimed off waivers. No idea on the other guy; perhaps a trade is in the works?

As for the guys on the 53 who could be headed to the practice squad, my number one guess is Mongo. 10 O-linemen is a lot, he is still a bit raw, and he would likely have been claimed today. They other guy could be, dare I say, DJ Foster if the additional 53 man replacement is a between the tackles running back.

The Practice Squad is filled.

Looks like the auditions to replace the late Miss Cleo continue..... Going back to my day job.

I like the PS but I'm a little mystified by Vinnie Sunseri being there. He seemed to me to be in the wrong place all the time during the preseason games and I was surprised that he even survived the cut to 75.

The Alabama factor is taking the place of the Rutgers factor. Considering where those two programs are... maybe a good thing? :)

I would have liked to see Dan Braverman on our PS. Didn't follow him after he was cut. I'm guessing he is staying with the Bears for now.

PS breakdown looks like BB covered all the bases :)

3--DL

2 -WR

2- DB

2- OL

1- RB

I would have liked to see Dan Braverman on our PS. Didn't follow him after he was cut. I'm guessing he is staying with the Bears for now.

He did resign with the Bears PS rather quickly.

Any word on Dobson?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

For those of us unclear on the concept, why did the Pats decide J. Jones was better than LeBlanc? And, for that matter, E. Roberts over KGH?
It must have been a really tough call for the coaching staff. Jones most likely made the cut over LeBlanc for his special teams contributions. Have to admit he looked good out there. With the two LBers, they are very similar guys in that they are essentially hybrid LBer/safety types. Undersized (very athletic) LBers. Roberts is a bit more of a tacking machine but they are both still raw. Mingo is another one of these hybrid guys. Belichik is stockpiling here and KGH is the odd man out, possibly by a slim margin.

Last edited:
Hmm...might there be a move pending to make room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back