PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

@kennyb , @BobDigital and @JerseyShore99 have all shown interest in Jalen Collins I believe. Credit to them because he could be an interesting prospect:

https://twitter.com/GayleESaunders/status/560551642366746624

And from NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jalen-collins?id=2552573
Really appreciate the recognition Manx, I sure as hell can't remember who likes who, appreciate it, I do believe that this draft is deep in mediocre CBs and Jalen is easily the top CB and closest to being shut down

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Many high-profile NFL Draft analysts have stated that they view Pittsburgh offensive tackle T.J. Clemmings as a first-round pick, with some projecting him to go in the top half of the first round. Entering the 2014 season, Clemmings wasn’t viewed to be an elite prospect but media members got on the bandwagon during his senior year. However, a handful of NFL teams we've spoken to had the same opinion: None of them have a first-round grade on Clemmings. Four out of five put him on the second day, with one team saying they have a fourth-round grade on Clemmings.

Three NFL general managers told us that they have a third-round grade on Clemmings, but they believe that the team that likes him enough to draft him will take him in the second round. Another general manager said he has a day-two grade on him. The team that has a fourth-round grade on Clemmings could consider drafting an offensive tackle late in the first round, but happens to be down on Clemmings.

The 6-foot-4, 307-pounder didn’t impress evaluators at the Senior Bowl, as he had some struggles in the pass blocking one-on-ones. He showed that he is raw and is still needing significant development to handle NFL pass-rushers. That is understandable considering Clemmings started out his collegiate career on the defensive line before switching to right tackle as a junior. Teams feel that Clemmings has a skill set to work with, but is too much of a gamble to take with a first-round pick, and they don’t feel that he’s worthy of that high of a draft grade.

Perhaps there are teams out there that view him as a first-rounder, but there was a real consensus of a second-day grade among the executives we spoke to.

Has anyone watched any tape on Terry Williams NT ECU? My goodness. He is about as close to Wilfork clone as I have seen. He is really fast off the ball, but does a great job holding on to his blockers as well.

He had two team suspensions, at least one of which was for academics. Outside of that, he was a 4 year starter, is 6'1 350lbs+ and as it stands, looks like a 5-UDFA type guy. Hard for me to get too sad about missing guys like Shelton or Goldman when you know guys like Hardison or Williams will be there on day 3.

Has anyone watched any tape on Terry Williams NT ECU? My goodness. He is about as close to Wilfork clone as I have seen. He is really fast off the ball, but does a great job holding on to his blockers as well.

He had two team suspensions, at least one of which was for academics. Outside of that, he was a 4 year starter, is 6'1 350lbs+ and as it stands, looks like a 5-UDFA type guy. Hard for me to get too sad about missing guys like Shelton or Goldman when you know guys like Hardison or Williams will be there on day 3.

Good eye. Williams has been one of my favourite prospects for months now. However, the problem is that he's not 6'1" but 5'11". He had a low all-star game invite and no combine invite - he'll be lucky to be drafted. You are right though, I made the Wilfork comp when I first saw him.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Many high-profile NFL Draft analysts have stated that they view Pittsburgh offensive tackle T.J. Clemmings as a first-round pick, with some projecting him to go in the top half of the first round. Entering the 2014 season, Clemmings wasn’t viewed to be an elite prospect but media members got on the bandwagon during his senior year. However, a handful of NFL teams we've spoken to had the same opinion: None of them have a first-round grade on Clemmings. Four out of five put him on the second day, with one team saying they have a fourth-round grade on Clemmings.

Three NFL general managers told us that they have a third-round grade on Clemmings, but they believe that the team that likes him enough to draft him will take him in the second round. Another general manager said he has a day-two grade on him. The team that has a fourth-round grade on Clemmings could consider drafting an offensive tackle late in the first round, but happens to be down on Clemmings.

The 6-foot-4, 307-pounder didn’t impress evaluators at the Senior Bowl, as he had some struggles in the pass blocking one-on-ones. He showed that he is raw and is still needing significant development to handle NFL pass-rushers. That is understandable considering Clemmings started out his collegiate career on the defensive line before switching to right tackle as a junior. Teams feel that Clemmings has a skill set to work with, but is too much of a gamble to take with a first-round pick, and they don’t feel that he’s worthy of that high of a draft grade.

Perhaps there are teams out there that view him as a first-rounder, but there was a real consensus of a second-day grade among the executives we spoke to.

It will be interesting to see. However, I don't trust Walter Football as a source at all so we'll see.

One name not to forget is Leon Orr at DT. His stock is low of course after walking off the team but he still has a combine invite and at 6-5 and 315 lbs is the perfect size for a Pats DT.

Good eye. Williams has been one of my favourite prospects for months now. However, the problem is that he's not 6'1" but 5'11". He had a low all-star game invite and no combine invite - he'll be lucky to be drafted. You are right though, I made the Wilfork comp when I first saw him.

At the very least I could see him as a potential competition for Vellano and jones. Again, when you are talking about low picks/udfas, grabbing a rotational player is a great find.

Matt Miller has a new Top 300 list out. Here's the link.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2353622-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-big-board/page/2

How bout this based on his board?

1. O. Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA
2. J. Poutasi - OL - Utah - Guard for us.
3. B. Bell - TE - Oklahoma - He's a big fan of Bell-dozer. So, am I.
3. J. Ajayi - RB - Boise St - Prob replaces Jonas Gray and could be eventual starter.
4. T. Lockett - WR - K-St - Amendola's eventual replacement. Prob in 2016
4. J. Harrison - OL - Texas A&m - Played guard and a little LT. Solid depth.
6. N. Marshall - CB/QB - Auburn - BB loves those versatile athletes.
7. D. Smelter - WR - Ga Tech - Red-shirt year in 2015.
7. M. Hardison - DT - ASU - I asked him why not on his board. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Offensive heavy. But, I'm spending my free agent money on defense. Revis, McCourty, Branch, Siliga, Casillas and Ayers. Hope VW and Mayo restructure. I think they will.

Matt Miller has a new Top 300 list out. Here's the link.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2353622-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-big-board/page/2

How bout this based on his board?

1. O. Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA
2. J. Poutasi - OL - Utah - Guard for us.
3. B. Bell - TE - Oklahoma - He's a big fan of Bell-dozer. So, am I.
3. J. Ajayi - RB - Boise St - Prob replaces Jonas Gray and could be eventual starter.
4. T. Lockett - WR - K-St - Amendola's eventual replacement. Prob in 2016
4. J. Harrison - OL - Texas A&m - Played guard and a little LT. Solid depth.
6. N. Marshall - CB/QB - Auburn - BB loves those versatile athletes.
7. D. Smelter - WR - Ga Tech - Red-shirt year in 2015.
7. M. Hardison - DT - ASU - I asked him why not on his board. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Offensive heavy. But, I'm spending my free agent money on defense. Revis, McCourty, Branch, Siliga, Casillas and Ayers. Hope VW and Mayo restructure. I think they will.

I like that mock a lot. As for him not having Hardison on his board, neither does NFL.com. They don't even acknowledge Hardison's existence. I suspect both will change post-combine. I've never known a prospect with good size, athleticism that plays for a big school and gets 10 sacks stay under the radar for so long.

For those that are big fans of Jay Ajayi, what is it exactly that you love? I know he was a huge part of Boise's attack, but he doesnt seem to have any big trait that sets him apart.

If its a balanced back for the passing game, do you also like Buck Allen? He seems to do everything that Ajayi does, with more power and certainty.

Ajayi's a big kid. 6'0" 220LB. He'll get even bigger and stronger in a pro S&C program. I think he can develop into a 3 down back. Ran for 1823 yards and 28td's last year. Caught 50 passes for 535 yards and 4 more td's. I know stats don't mean much in the Mountain West when compared to a SEC back. Shows me that he's durable and a workhorse. Looked quick enough to make the next step too IMO.

I hear ya. I think my struggle with him is that he isnt much of an inside runner, is a bit of a dancer, and while his stats are fantastic, I didnt see many "pro runs" so to speak. I think he will definitely play, I just wonder what the ceiling is for him, as he doesnt seem to have a defineable skill that sets him apart.

I think thats why I tend to look at Buck more, who has a lot of the same strengths, but a little bigger, meaner,more decisive, and coming from a pro style. That doesnt mean he will be better, or even as good, I just find it interesting that Ajayi is consistantly mocked as the higher pick.

I didn't see USC much at all this year. Playing RB is brutal in the NFL. That's why I'm not crazy about picking one too early. Just seems like those little guys with speed and moves get chewed up. Bigger, more powerful backs are the successful ones; Lynch, Murray, Forte, Leveon Bell, Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill(Though he's still a douchebag). Hard to identify the right fit. Just as many higher picks don't make it big; Montee Ball, Beanie Wells and. Ryan Matthews to name a few. I stay away from the skatbacks like; Abdullah and Duke Johnson. Not even sure a kid like Coleman will hold up. I'd rather just wait and see who is there from 97-102. I also like Cobb from Minnesota and Mike Davis in that range.

Even though OG and penetrating DT are bigger needs, I want to grab Devin Smith with our 1st pick badly.

Last edited:
Even though OG and penetrating DT are bigger needs, I want to grab Devin Smith with our 1st pick badly.

We had to throw 50x to win 2/3 of our playoff games. The other needs are more important than a wr. Have to run the ball better. And, we need a better pass rush.

We truly are a team that could go a dozen different directions with our first pick. I could be talked in to Maxx williams if you are looking to the long term potential with some immediate results. You could say one of the many tackle conversion projects, as a day 1 starter, and potential 10 year starter. It could be Jaelen strong for more size and toughness at receiver. It could be Alphabet DE from UCLA for eventual replacement of Ninko, plus added depth at a place we have next to zero. Maybe Goldman or Davis for on the line tackles to take the pressure off vince. Heck, you could talk me in to a player like Peters at CB, in order to extend the window of the great secondary, and to learn under some high character vets. Thats all without even commenting on if Gurley were to fall to us.

I think it goes without saying, but being a fan of this team, at time, is truly a fun season. My personal hope is that we find someone to give us a 1st next year and a late 2nd/early 3rd, and begin rolling over our picks again, but i will leave that judgement in other peoples hands. And of course, with free agency happening first, we will have narrowed our view quite a bit by the time the draft actually arrives.

We had to throw 50x to win 2/3 of our playoff games. The other needs are more important than a wr. Have to run the ball better. And, we need a better pass rush.
I said that. It just would be fun to have a big time deep threat so we would have to dink and dunk the ball 50x a game.

I can easily see Devin Smith being a pick for us, although I Don't think BB will do so in the first. BB seems to try and draft this type of player every couple of years: Josh Boyce, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Chad Jackson. Obviously that's not a great track record but he hasn't stopped trying for that deep threat receiver. By the by, I love Smith's ability to track the ball in the air. Starting to think that one of Gurley, Smith, Maxx Williams or Abdullah will be a Patriot next year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back