PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Rumors: Eliot Wolf ‘Pushing Hard’ For This QB Prospect

I'm pretty sure the media will write a pro & con story or multiple pro and con stories about every QB and every possible trade up & down scenario that involves every team in the QB needy group and every team with multiple high draft picks between March and the end of April. That's why the suicide rate this time of year is so high.

So breaking down Maye, JJ and Daniel’s.
One huge thing about playing QB is playing with confidence and building those up to believe around you.

JJ and Daniel’s have it in spades.
Maye seems to me to not be as ****y and I’m a little concerned that he may start to doubt himself if things go bumpy or in big moments of games.
That ice water in the veins is what made Tom, Patrick, Joe,Peyton great QBs,

Does Drake have that bravado?
What about Bo, Mike, and Spencer?
I think that’s a important part of playing QB that can’t be taught.

McCarthy was a 2nd round projected pick & after his pro day he is a top 3 pick?

Sounds like an Al Davis pick

Another Trey Lance jump without throwing an in game meaningful pass

I have little to no confidence in drafting
players based on workouts instead of in game performance

He may have won the championship, but he was not overly impressive in that game.

A trade down would be much better, if they want JJ & if we miss out, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth

McCarthy was a 2nd round projected pick & after his pro day he is a top 3 pick?

Sounds like an Al Davis pick

Another Trey Lance jump without throwing an in game meaningful pass

I have little to no confidence in drafting
players based on workouts instead of in game performance

He may have won the championship, but he was not overly impressive in that game.

A trade down would be much better, if they want JJ & if we miss out, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth
I'm not impressed with him either. Feels like another Mac Jones.

JJ McCarthy is a proven winner at the college level
There are few things more worthless in the NFL than a "proven winner in college."

Stetson Bennett IV was twice the "proven winner" McCarthy is. How's that working out in LA?

I mostly agree that Mccarthy would be a reach over Maye or Daniels at #3. But Mccarthy has more arm talent and athleticism in his pinky finger than Mac Jones ever had. They are not an apples to apples comparison.
Agree McCarthy is a better prospect. I was more or less implying the rapid upward trajectory of his draft stock.

That's interesting.
Any QB and WR will need to get reprogrammed at some level, changing their responses in split seconds and unwinding bad habits from college, so they could also end up reinforcing the wrong things in each other.
Just guessing here.

I recall that it worked very well for the initial Foxboro Pats team with our first round (#1)QB Jim Plunket and his fellow Stanford receiver, Randy Vataha. Do you remember that crappy LA Light beer!!??

Some of you guys place way too much importance in what is in the Media.

Teams aren't basing their strategy around what some journo reports. Sure there may be little things here and there that might give them food for thought but they have much better sources of info than the journos.
Absolutely correct
I read an article that said journalist Mocks use the term rising prospect. When in reality. Through inside sources they are just catching up to what the real NFL boards have known for months.
The only reason some of these journalists are rated higher than others is because they have better inside sources

The NFL puts years and a ton of money on these candidates. Private investigators, personal interviews, scouting for years etc
Journalists watch some tape on each of them

When the leaks that are red herrings pop up. The teams are using those journalists to strengthen their agenda.

My Take: I hope this is not true
OOF. McCarthy feels like Mac Jones 2.0. The Patriots better trade down first and pick up extra picks if they are going to make a move like this. I'd rather have Maye or Daniels over McCarthy at #3.

OOF. McCarthy feels like Mac Jones 2.0. The Patriots better trade down first and pick up extra picks if they are going to make a move like this. I'd rather have Maye or Daniels over McCarthy at #3.
Why do you think that?
What about JJ athletically is remotely like Mac?

Tell me Mac can do this?

Just saw a mock draft where we go Maye, Guyton, Pearsall.
I would dance in the streets for that.

Agree with this. That would be a really strong draft. The only real issue with it is that Pesrsall is another slot receiver.l, whereas they could really use an X. I’m not a fan of Walker.

I haven’t seen anyone call JJ McCarthy “‘****,” what I have seen s many rank him lower than the top 3 because he had far less production, which means their evaluations are based on projected size , arm strength, and mechanics. And in all honesty other than BGC, and possibly a couple of others, those talking about his mechanics in comparison to other QB’s are completely talking out of their asses, as other than a prospect throwing off of their back foot they don’t know jack **** about the subject. It’s like when I see an Amatuer draftnik saying a cornerback has “ tight hips…” and I think “ whatever you say Mel….”

Brady spent years working with his personal QB coaches perfecting his mechanics, and they are far more technical and minute than 99% of Amatuer draftniks understand. And I include myself in that category. Also, there’s a difference between looking at arm strength and accuracy, as opposed to “ mechanics,” as those things aren’t mechanics, and are far easier for an Amatuer to observe. It’s pretty obvious that Joe Milton has a great arm, and it’s also obvious he’s really inaccurate.
What a great post.

Oh the huge manatee!
Wolf is just being smart. If the Vikings want the #3 pick that badly they will have to pay a king's ransom. He's doing his job. Honestly the #11 pick plus extras isn't enough to tempt me. If the Vikings had say the #6 overall pick plus extra 1sts, that would make it worth for the Patriots to trade down with them. At #11 there's no guarantee that the Patriots would have a shot at a decent QB prospect or even a top WR. Nabors, Harrison, Odunze could all be gone by then.

Tell me Mac can do this?

Can Mac throw off his backfoot and make ill advised throws? Yes. I've seen him make plenty of bad throws of his backfoot. The only difference was this ill advised throw was part of the play design of a trick play. You're going to tell me I should applaud a back footed throw because it was completed? The decision was bad in the first place. If any DB were in position that ball is easily picked off and returned for SIX. Mac Jones should serve as a warning, not as a we should take a guy who plays in similar ways but got lucky on one play.

Put it this way. The result of the play is fine because it was a completion against college competition. But will McCarthy get away with that type of play against NFL caliber secondary? More than likely he would get punished. This is not the type of play that sells McCarthy as a pro prospect. This is the type of play where he 'got away with one' against a college caliber secondary. You try throwing off your backfoot against an elite NFL CB and you will more likely than not regret it very badly, just like Mac Jones regretted most of his backfoot throws but he kept going to that well. OOF.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back