PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Rumors: Eliot Wolf ‘Pushing Hard’ For This QB Prospect

Can Mac throw off his backfoot and make ill advised throws? Yes. I've seen him make plenty of bad throws of his backfoot. The only difference was this ill advised throw was part of the play design of a trick play. You're going to tell me I should applaud a back footed throw because it was completed? The decision was bad in the first place. If any DB were in position that ball is easily picked off and returned for SIX. Mac Jones should serve as a warning, not as a we should take a guy who plays in similar ways but got lucky on one play.

Put it this way. The result of the play is fine because it was a completion against college competition. But will McCarthy get away with that type of play against NFL caliber secondary? More than likely he would get punished. This is not the type of play that sells McCarthy as a pro prospect. This is the type of play where he 'got away with one' against a college caliber secondary. You try throwing off your backfoot against an elite NFL CB and you will more likely than not regret it very badly, just like Mac Jones regretted most of his backfoot throws but he kept going to that well. OOF.
Not so much the throw it’s doing it knowing he was going to get smashed.

Why do you think that?
What about JJ athletically is remotely like Mac?
Mac Jones ran a 4.6 40. It didn't matter. He's not what we thought he would be. Tell me what about McCarthy is outstandingly better than Mac Jones in his Alabama days?

Mac put up 4,500 passing yards 41 passing TDs vs 4 INTs.
McCarthy put up 2,991 passing yards 22 passing TDs vs 4 INTs.

McCarthy was a game manager who won the National Championship game. Mac Jones was a game manager who won the National Championship game.

If anything they have more similarities than differences although Mac put up better production.

Mac Jones ran a 4.6 40. It didn't matter. He's not what we thought he would be. Tell me what about McCarthy is outstandingly better than Mac Jones in his Alabama days?

Mac put up 4,500 passing yards 41 passing TDs vs 4 INTs.
McCarthy put up 2,991 passing yards 22 passing TDs vs 4 INTs.

McCarthy was a game manager who won the National Championship game. Mac Jones was a game manager who won the National Championship game.

If anything they have more similarities than differences although Mac put up better production.
The arm strength and throwing on the run are things Mac couldn’t do.

Not so much the throw it’s doing it knowing he was going to get smashed.
And I'm saying it's not about making the completion, it's making a bad decision, a highly risky throw and getting lucky with the result. You praise him for being a gunslinger. The criticism is that it's a bad decision to make that throw and put the ball in harm's way.

Now if your argument is that McCarthy has a stronger arm than Mac Jones maybe there's a point to be made there. Other than that I see this play as a negative because of the decision making process that prompted McCarthy to pull the trigger in the first place.

Wolf is just being smart. If the Vikings want the #3 pick that badly they will have to pay a king's ransom. He's doing his job. Honestly the #11 pick plus extras isn't enough to tempt me. If the Vikings had say the #6 overall pick plus extra 1sts, that would make it worth for the Patriots to trade down with them. At #11 there's no guarantee that the Patriots would have a shot at a decent QB prospect or even a top WR. Nabors, Harrison, Odunze could all be gone by then.

The 49ers already set the market for this move and it’s 3 first rounders plus.

Wolf is just being smart. If the Vikings want the #3 pick that badly they will have to pay a king's ransom. He's doing his job. Honestly the #11 pick plus extras isn't enough to tempt me. If the Vikings had say the #6 overall pick plus extra 1sts, that would make it worth for the Patriots to trade down with them. At #11 there's no guarantee that the Patriots would have a shot at a decent QB prospect or even a top WR. Nabors, Harrison, Odunze could all be gone by then.
Have to agree with you
#11 seems out of the best prospects range
We finally got in the top 5 to get a legit playmaker
Trade no lower than 6

If the Vikings only want to use two 1sts they can always try to move up to 6-7 area.

call me nuts but I'd like to see if we could come down with Michael Pratt. I'd trade down, give up the big 3, snag pratt and an OL/RB in the first round if possible, and build from there.

I bet you're on board with the idea because of all the QB prospects on tap, Pratt has the most catlike quickness. A speedy QB isn't always about the 2 way game, Mahomes uses his speed to extend the play a lot of the time and that works for him. Pratt isn't as legendarily accurate as Mahomes but the same general style may work for him.

call me nuts but I'd like to see if we could come down with Michael Pratt. I'd trade down, give up the big 3, snag pratt and an OL/RB in the first round if possible, and build from there.

I bet you're on board with the idea because of all the QB prospects on tap, Pratt has the most catlike quickness. A speedy QB isn't always about the 2 way game, Mahomes uses his speed to extend the play a lot of the time and that works for him. Pratt isn't as legendarily accurate as Mahomes but the same general style may work for him.
Pratt is super underrated… if they skip out on the 1st round guys and opt to trade down instead, I would definitely entertain a trade up into the late 2nd from 68 to take Pratt and develop him behind Brissett. Some folks may find that to be early for him but I would want to make sure I get him. Assume they traded for Minny’s 11 and 23, they’d have gotten most likely a premier tackle at 11 and a WR1 at 23, then another selection at 34 (edge? DB?), and so you’d be pretty clear to grab your QB project with a small trade up in the late 50s. Might cost your 5th or something around there.

Pratt is super underrated… if they skip out on the 1st round guys and opt to trade down instead, I would definitely entertain a trade up into the late 2nd from 68 to take Pratt and develop him behind Brissett.
Pratt is being super slept on because of how frontloaded the draft is. In a normal year he probably goes in the middle of the first round, likely between 12 and 25. But with so many other talents available he may fall to 35. Not an incredible arm but an above average arm, a high level of mobility taking pressure off the O-line, and he seems to be smart about his decision making. It's not a bad overall package at all. A good OC and a bit of luck can make a guy like that into a game winner at the NFL level.

You didn't make the statement about the Vikings front office as a "maybe" you made it as a certainty. Now you are backing off with a random guess.
nope...never said tha vikings front office. either way it's a stupid premise. of course he's driving up the price and i'm glad he is.

Last edited:
If you look at his senior year stats, that's the biggest reason.

After throwing 32 TDs his junior year, he threw 17 with 22 INTs his senior year. 4.7 yards average per attempt.
Which QB draft prospect are you referring to here? Thx

I was doubting this report initially, but now I understand that Wolf is trying really hard to get Troy Brown to let him take J. j. McCarthy.

Which QB draft prospect are you referring to here? Thx
I was talking about Dan Marino here, just to show that there have been players like Maye and Williams who were stellar as Sophs or Juniors, but who had a huge drop off in their final year of college.

Marino is a good case when discussing QBs who were much more successful when they had talent around them in college.

nope...never said tha vikings front office. either way it's a stupid premise. of course he's driving up the price and i'm glad he is.

Yeah, you did, by inference at a 3rd grade level. The front office are the only people who represent the team. Nobody else is "The Vikings."

The 49ers already set the market for this move and it’s 3 first rounders plus.
Absolutely!

ONE team make a one-time terrible deal and that is the market for the next 5 years. ???

It is a matter of value. If we don't want the player left at 3, should we

Refuse to trade the pick for anything less than the 3 first plus? and
1) Pick the top QB on our board?
2) Pick the best player on the board?
======
#3 is worth 3 first plus more IF and only IFF someone is willing to pay that price.
=======
We SHOULD definitely take less if we prefer 2 or 3 other QB's over what is available at 3.
======
We all are jumping up and down because we KNOW that the best QB's don't include McCarthy, Penix or Nix.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back