PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

For those that are big fans of Jay Ajayi, what is it exactly that you love? I know he was a huge part of Boise's attack, but he doesnt seem to have any big trait that sets him apart.

If its a balanced back for the passing game, do you also like Buck Allen? He seems to do everything that Ajayi does, with more power and certainty.

Nice Buck Allen shout-out. But, I'm not a fan of a mid round RB this year unless it's a specific role guy like Abdullah or David Johnson. With Blount, Vereen (or White) and Bolden, that's all the RBs that will get dressed on game day. A better option would be to re-sign Ridley cheaply and have him, Gaffney and Gray battle for the 4th RB spot. I'd definitely draft Gurley and probably Tevin Coleman because they are legit franchise backs and I'd draft Abdullah, Johnson for the Vereen role but that's about it (although I have a nagging hunch BB will draft Yeldon).

Nice Buck Allen shout-out. But, I'm not a fan of a mid round RB this year unless it's a specific role guy like Abdullah or David Johnson. With Blount, Vereen (or White) and Bolden, that's all the RBs that will get dressed on game day. A better option would be to re-sign Ridley cheaply and have him, Gaffney and Gray battle for the 4th RB spot. I'd definitely draft Gurley and probably Tevin Coleman because they are legit franchise backs and I'd draft Abdullah, Johnson for the Vereen role but that's about it (although I have a nagging hunch BB will draft Yeldon).

I think thats the beauty of this draft, it really boils down to what certain traits you want to invest in, since every single type of back is out there. Personally, I am not as high on Abdullah as others, but i do understand the attraction. For me, its either Gurley in the 1st, buck in the 3rd/4th, or Hart in the 7th. They arent replicas of each other, just where I see the most value.

I think thats the beauty of this draft, it really boils down to what certain traits you want to invest in, since every single type of back is out there. Personally, I am not as high on Abdullah as others, but i do understand the attraction. For me, its either Gurley in the 1st, buck in the 3rd/4th, or Hart in the 7th. They arent replicas of each other, just where I see the most value.

I'm kinda torn on yeldon also. He seems like he could replace Ridleys production, but I don't think he'll be able to blow anybody away. I do really like tevin Coleman. He reminds me of leveon bell for some reason. But if we don't take anybody this year I think we should go all in for Derrick Henry or the guy from Georgia chubb(idk his first name) next year. They look like beasts.

Good eye. Williams has been one of my favourite prospects for months now. However, the problem is that he's not 6'1" but 5'11". He had a low all-star game invite and no combine invite - he'll be lucky to be drafted. You are right though, I made the Wilfork comp when I first saw him.

I was a little surprised by his height measurements, but it got me doing some digging.

In the last 7 drafts, 4 of the 7 shortest DT's measured at the combine were:

Corey Grissom 2013 shortest
Marcus Forsten 2012 shortest
Sealver Siliga 2011 shortest
Myron Pryor 2009 shortest

Now, none of that means anything for Williams, but I was a little surprised that they have seemingly not valued height at the tackle position the same way they have in other positions. Also, at 5'11, Williams is definitely the shortest of the bunch, but thats only a half inch of Siliga. The bigger issue for him will definitely be the arm length.

Anyways, thought that was an interesting little nugget considering all the massive DL players we have had over the years, and a small shift in priority among at least one of those positions.

Just started watching draft prospects and I have a couple quick thoughts
-Not impressed with Danny Shelton, a big guy who has no explosiveness and gets pushed around way to much, I thought Justin Ellis last yr looked better

-Really like Jordan Phillips, explosive, great length

-I'm intrigued with Benardrick McKinney fits the Pats ILB build and he reminds me of Hightower, just doesn't have the movement skills of High

I was a little surprised by his height measurements, but it got me doing some digging.

In the last 7 drafts, 4 of the 7 shortest DT's measured at the combine were:

Corey Grissom 2013 shortest
Marcus Forsten 2012 shortest
Sealver Siliga 2011 shortest
Myron Pryor 2009 shortest

Now, none of that means anything for Williams, but I was a little surprised that they have seemingly not valued height at the tackle position the same way they have in other positions. Also, at 5'11, Williams is definitely the shortest of the bunch, but thats only a half inch of Siliga. The bigger issue for him will definitely be the arm length.

Anyways, thought that was an interesting little nugget considering all the massive DL players we have had over the years, and a small shift in priority among at least one of those positions.

That is interesting. I suppose my issue would be that with both Williams and Siliga being short, they're both restricted to a NT whereas in our current system, Wilfork moves to 5-tech at times. Can't really see that happening with Siliga/Williams. Now if we're talking about a future Siliga replacement, then I'm game. I personally feel that a decent sized Williams is a second rounder at least. I think he has rare mobility for his size.

We had to throw 50x to win 2/3 of our playoff games. The other needs are more important than a wr. Have to run the ball better. And, we need a better pass rush.

Ayup. If you'd've told me two weeks ago that we were gonna throw it 50 times in the Super Bowl and run it 19 times and for 60 Yards ~ I don't count Brady's ~ I would've said "Well, maybe next Year."

I've noticed a decent amount of RB talk on here, and I personally don't see the need for it. RBs need holes to run through, or tough, agile OL to clear paths for them. I firmly believe that if you have a great OL group then any RB can look good. The RB doesn't make the play, as much as the line does. Invest a pick in another road grader, and keep the guys we have now at RB, and I think we'll be better for it.

I've noticed a decent amount of RB talk on here, and I personally don't see the need for it. RBs need holes to run through, or tough, agile OL to clear paths for them. I firmly believe that if you have a great OL group then any RB can look good. The RB doesn't make the play, as much as the line does. Invest a pick in another road grader, and keep the guys we have now at RB, and I think we'll be better for it.

That is true however i guess the idea would be to get one of the few RBs that is a great runner, also great receiver and good blocker.. think combination of Ridley and Vereen.
Those players are definitely worth drafting early because they are not as interchangeable as your normal rushing backs.

Adding that element into our backfield would make us even more unpredictable on offense. Even less keys for the opponent to get roght defense in, more deadly no-huddle.

That is true however i guess the idea would be to get one of the few RBs that is a great runner, also great receiver and good blocker.. think combination of Ridley and Vereen.
Those players are definitely worth drafting early because they are not as interchangeable as your normal rushing backs.

Adding that element into our backfield would make us even more unpredictable on offense. Even less keys for the opponent to get roght defense in, more deadly no-huddle.

I've not even looked at backs this year, because I don't see the need for it. Who in this draft has it? Gurley? Who else? I think our RB by committee gives us a great range of players and skill sets to work with. Ridley has proven that he can get you 1200 yards. Blount can be explosive and has big play ability. Vereen just proved how valuable he is as a receiving back, and then we have Bolden who has had his moments. That's quite a squad of backs. Give them a great line, and you're in business.

@Off The Grid Might have just come up with my favourite scouting soupçon of the year. He described Devin Smith's lack of a route tree thusly:

Yet his Route Running Resume, from what I've perused, consists of all of two freaking Routes:

01 ~ Run Like Hell, and I'll throw you the Ball.
02 ~ I'll throw you the Ball, then Run Like Hell.

Literally LOL

I'm less worried about Smith's lack of a route tree than Grid for the moment. What Smith does is limited for sure, but what he does he does damn well. My view is that, even as he is now, he's someone that can contribute early in year one, not just because of his abilities as a receiver but because he'll allow more room for Gronk and Edelman. Safeties will absolutely have to account for Smith which will open up space in the middle and Smith will make hay on pick plays where giving him just a yard head start will be deadly for cornerbacks.

Given the Ohio State connection, Smith's abilities on special team coverage units and the fact that BB has consistently looked for the fast vertical threat, Smith is becoming one of those "most likely to be a Patriot" picks for me.

@Off The Grid

Given the Ohio State connection, Smith's abilities on special team coverage units and the fact that BB has consistently looked for the fast vertical threat, Smith is becoming one of those "most likely to be a Patriot" picks for me.

Havn't watched him and probably wont, but my question Manx is, wouldn't a "Devin Smith" type small speedy gunner be Matt Slater 2.0 in the offense? Personly I can't see the need for that type for Patriots, but all have there own option.

Havn't watched him and probably wont, but my question Manx is, wouldn't a "Devin Smith" type small speedy gunner be Matt Slater 2.0 in the offense? Personly I can't see the need for that type for Patriots, but all have there own option.

Devin smith is a much better receiver than Slater.

Havn't watched him and probably wont, but my question Manx is, wouldn't a "Devin Smith" type small speedy gunner be Matt Slater 2.0 in the offense? Personally I can't see the need for that type for Patriots, but all have there own option.

Devin smith is a much better receiver than Slater.

Yeah, Smith's Tracking, Timing, and Vertical Agility are astonishing.

He is Death on Long Range Bombing.

Yeah, Smith's Tracking, Timing, and Vertical Agility are astonishing.

He is Death on Long Range Bombing.

I found his ability to locate, track and adjust for the ball were so impressive. Normally I wouldn't go for a speedster like Smith, I much prefer a Marvin Jones type, but Smith won me over with those fundamental skills. Like you I'm looking forward to seeing what he does at the combine for his agility and explosion numbers. Is he just a one-trick pony as a speedster or can more be got out of him?

I've not even looked at backs this year, because I don't see the need for it. Who in this draft has it? Gurley? Who else? I think our RB by committee gives us a great range of players and skill sets to work with. Ridley has proven that he can get you 1200 yards. Blount can be explosive and has big play ability. Vereen just proved how valuable he is as a receiving back, and then we have Bolden who has had his moments. That's quite a squad of backs. Give them a great line, and you're in business.

And don't forget Tyler Gaffney.

@Gil_Brandt: UCF WR Breshad Perriman is ascending. Father Brett played in NFL for 10 years, 2nd-round pick. No surprise if Breshad went in 1st.

So this draft is shaping up like last years where WR is deep and there could be nearly a dozen rookie WRs who end up as solid contributors their rookie season.

Also, it's never too early to tout one's own binky :D

@Jeff_LJ_Lloyd: CBS Sports' Pat Kirwan passes along that Florida State WR Rashad Greene had the best drop rate he'd seen. will get under drafted

@DraftSharks: Some prospect's drop rates from @PatKirwanCBS
Kevin White - 1 drop/33 targets
Justin Hardy - 1/35
Rashad Greene - 1/74
Sammie Coates - 1/9

Last edited:
@Gil_Brandt: UCF WR Breshad Perriman is ascending. Father Brett played in NFL for 10 years, 2nd-round pick. No surprise if Breshad went in 1st.

So this draft is shaping up like last years where WR is deep and there could be nearly a dozen rookie WRs who end up as solid contributors their rookie season.

Also, it's never too early to tout one's own binky :D

@Jeff_LJ_Lloyd: CBS Sports' Pat Kirwan passes along that Florida State WR Rashad Greene had the best drop rate he'd seen. will get under drafted

@DraftSharks: Some prospect's drop rates from @PatKirwanCBS
Kevin White - 1 drop/33 targets
Justin Hardy - 1/35
Rashad Greene - 1/74
Sammie Coates - 1/9

1/74 = wow! As for Coates, I'd seen that 1/9. As intrigued as I am by his athleticism, he's coming off the board. Too much risk as another Stephen Hill/Justin Hunter.

And tout away. After last year you are entitled :)

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back