PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

Don't know anything about Frackell. Will wait for Draft Breakdown to feature him. Have you heard of Lynden Trail Jnr of Norfolk State? Another 6-6/7 DE (is it me or are there a lot of them this year?) Just watching his highlights from last year. So far he's been a DE/ OLB/ Redzone WR, special teams gunner and hail mary CB. Not amazing athletically (4.70 and 33" vert) but it sure is a fun highlight reel (just waiting to see what position he'll play next).

They've been using him a little as a TE at the Senior Bowl and he's looked good in coverage. BB will like that versatility.

Grid likes Melvin Gordon ALOT - Almost sounds like he wants Patriots to draft him :D:eek:

Grid likes Melvin Gordon ALOT - Almost sounds like he wants Patriots to draft him :D:eek:

He'll be gone by the time we pick. I think Minnesota will take him if they let Peterson go.

I dont like

Melvin Gordon Is amazing, not trying to take that away from him. I just don't see him doing as well with the Patriots. Wisconsin runs a heavy zone blocking scheme and I feel like a lot of his success comes from it being a perfect fit for his running style.

That being said, I don't think there is a chance we draft him. Gurley is the only running back I would even begin to consider taking in the 1st. And that's a crazy thought to me! Todd Gurley's all around game, along with his running back ability, would be very successful in New England. He's Like a Blount, Vereen, and Ridley, all put into one, with a a few sprinkles of Marshawn Lynch's, Yard's after contact skills. New England's trio (group) of running backs offer and pretty scary combination of weapons, and does Marshawn Lynch. They have both have their benefits. The benefit of the doubt you get from defenders, with an every down back is one of the intangibles thats truly hard to put a number on. Its also doesn't help NE that its somewhat predictable what they may do based on the RB that is in play. The downside is, you're putting all your eggs in one basket. RB's are among the most frequently injured players in the league. You basically have to pick your poison.

I dont like

Melvin Gordon Is amazing, not trying to take that away from him. I just don't see him doing as well with the Patriots. Wisconsin runs a heavy zone blocking scheme and I feel like a lot of his success comes from it being a perfect fit for his running style.

That being said, I don't think there is a chance we draft him. Gurley is the only running back I would even begin to consider taking in the 1st. And that's a crazy thought to me! Todd Gurley's all around game, along with his running back ability, would be very successful in New England. He's Like a Blount, Vereen, and Ridley, all put into one, with a a few sprinkles of Marshawn Lynch's, Yard's after contact skills. New England's trio (group) of running backs offer and pretty scary combination of weapons, and does Marshawn Lynch. They have both have their benefits. The benefit of the doubt you get from defenders, with an every down back is one of the intangibles thats truly hard to put a number on. Its also doesn't help NE that its somewhat predictable what they may do based on the RB that is in play. The downside is, you're putting all your eggs in one basket. RB's are among the most frequently injured players in the league. You basically have to pick your poison.

http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/ Look at this boy and tell me Grid doesnt like Gordon - Can see he gave the same grade to Gurley, but you disagree with me on that one aswell.. Oh boy share soem of your medicin plz :)

What do we think about Nick Marshall? He's a development project with high upside at CB and has great size for the position. He has the athleticism to be a special teams gunner, he can be used on offence in a limited capacity as an explosive playmaker and can run scout team QB, especially when we're going up against the more athletic QBs like Wilson, Newton, Kaepernick. He adds value in a lot of ways.

3 players I'd love to find there way on to this team:

Tyler Lockett: Perfect patriots prospect, all thats missing is a scarlet knights uniform

Nick Marshall: All around big time player with no ego. Came to the Senior Bowl and switched back to corner on his own. Raw for the position but imagine letting him work under Revis, Browner, Arrington and Ryan. He could be a JC type prospect who will really pay dividends down the road.

Jalston Fowler: Did a little bit of everything for Bama . Thing that stands out to me with Fowler is that every Bama game you watch you will hear his name at least once in a big spot. Reliable receiver when he's asked to be but a great blocker.

I have to say that after watching the week of Senior Bowl practices and the game that Carl Davis has made me change my opinion. He had a much quicker first step than he showed at Iowa. I was really impressed with Rannell Hall (sp). I am going back to draft break down to watch some more and see what I missed or ignored.

I have to say that after watching the week of Senior Bowl practices and the game that Carl Davis has made me change my opinion. He had a much quicker first step than he showed at Iowa. I was really impressed with Rannell Hall (sp). I am going back to draft break down to watch some more and see what I missed or ignored.

Good job on the Rannell Hall spot. I thought he was very impressive.

Nick Marshall makes too much sense considering we could afford to take him and develop him/be a ST only player in year 1.

Good CBs don't grow on trees and his upside is too high to pass.

Nick Marshall makes too much sense considering we could afford to take him and develop him/be a ST only player in year 1.

Good CBs don't grow on trees and his upside is too high to pass.

Agreed. He really impressed me at the Senior Bowl. He gave up some passes but his coverage, for someone who hasn't done it in a while, was very good.

I know I've been harping on dorial green-beckam for alittle while now, but I think I finally have some questions about him. I'm not even going to go into his off the field issues.

From what I read; his first year at mizzou he didnt play as much as he could of because he didnt quite understand the playbook(which is understandable) but if he isn't able to grasp their playbook after a season then idk if hell be able to get ours, seeing as how alot of receivers who come here tend not to stick around for long because of the complications of the playbook(there are other reasons as well). And secondly, I really haven't seen him run very complex routes. He's usually going deep or he runs a wide receiver screen. I don't think I would want a receiver who only runs a few routes. I'm not saying he can't develope a better route tree but I'm not sold on taking a player like that.

But by the time the combine comes around ill probably jump back on the bandwagon if he's able to run in the low 4.40s. His talent is undeniable and if he commits himself to staying out of trouble, learning the playbook and dedicates himself to be a better route runner i think he really can change this offense for the better. As of right now though I'm cool with tre mcbride, deandre Smelter, or jaelen strong. What do you guys think??

Last edited:
I know I've been harping on dorial green-beckam for alittle while now, but I think I finally have some questions about him. I'm not even going to go into his off the field issues.

From what I read; his first year at mizzou he barely played because he didnt quite understand the playbook(which is understandable) but if he isn't able to grasp their playbook after a season then idk if hell be able to get ours, seeing as how alot of receivers who come here tend not to stick around for long because of the complications of the playbook(there are other reasons as well). And secondly, I really haven't seen him very complex routes. He's usually going deep or he runs a wide receiver screen. I don't think I would want a receiver who only runs a few routes. I'm not saying he can't develope a better route tree but I'm not sold on taking a player like that.

But by the time the combine comes around ill probably jump back on the bandwagon if he's able to run in the low 4.40 time. As of right now I'm cool with tre mcbride, deandre Smelter, or jaelen strong. What do you guys think??

I think the risk is far too great on DGB personally. I think Sammie Coates has flaws too but I'd far rather they went with Coates than DGB myself.

This is some impressive coverage from Nick Marshall at the SB. Talk about mirroring a receiver.

Edit: Just watch his head and the receivers.

Not sure if anyone else heard or read this, but small school guru and head scout for the NFLPA game Josh Buchanon put out his small school only rankings and had Zach Hodges from Harvard at #30.

When asked about Hodges, he said there was some major off field issues and that a lot of teams did not have him on their board and that he would not draft him.

He wouldn't get into what this issues were, but said that he was a guy who would need to be babysat and guaranteed he would not be a top 125 pick and thought if he was drafted at all it would be late 6th or 7th.

This was a shocker for me to hear.

Other interesting tidbits were:
J. Tartt (safety)was his #1 with a 3rd round grade
D. Johnson (running back) was #2 with a 3/4 grade
L. Trail (DE) was his #7. Thinks he will have to be a DE and doesn't have the hips to be a linebacker. Could get some time at TE but would rather see a team focus him on one position since he has moved around so much.

I saw him say that about Hodges. It's the first time I've heard anything about a problem. Interesting to see if there's any more that comes out. I think Hodges bigger problem is that he didn't impress at all lining up at LB at the Snr bowl.

I saw him say that about Hodges. It's the first time I've heard anything about a problem. Interesting to see if there's any more that comes out. I think Hodges bigger problem is that he didn't impress at all lining up at LB at the Snr bowl.
Yeah, I was disappointed with him there as well.

So here's an interesting prospect you've probably not heard about.

Obum Gwacham, DE, Oregon State

6-5, 236lbs

So that's undersized you say and you'd be right. But some interesting thoughts:

1. He only started playing DE this season and whilst largely a backup had four sacks on the season. OK, but not great but we're talking potential here.

2. He's a convert to DE. But, and you don't see this every day, he's a WR convert. NFL Draft Scout have him running around 4.55-4.65.

3. He's also a collegiate high jumper and triple jumper. This is what really got me intrigued because I'm thinking vertical and brad jumps at the combine.

4. Speaking of the combine, he's received an invite which means he's on the NFL radar.

5. He played on all four special teams this year so at least he has that on his resume.

Tony Pauline said this at the beginning of the year:

Out west at Oregon State the buzz in the scouting community centers on a track athlete making his mark on the football field. Obum Gwacham, a high jumper with a personal best of just under 7-feet 2-inches is slowly blossoming into a terror on the defensive line. The former receiver moved to defensive end last spring and initially impressed scouts during April practice with his athleticism and pass rushing ability. He’s kept the momentum going in the early part of the season, most recently registering a pair of sacks during the Beavers victory over Hawaii.

Scouts love the upside Gawcham brings and if he continues to develop on the field they believe the former track star could end up as a second or third round pick in next year’s draft./QUOTE]

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10016

Certainly sounds like an interesting late day three/UDFA project at linebacker.

Ryan Delaire is someone I've been touting for a little while. He too has had a combine invite and there's some predictions for him:

The 6-foot-4, 260-pound two-time All-Colonial Athletic Association selection is hoping to run the 40-yard dash, at worst, in the low 4.6-second range, register a 35-inch vertical leap and bench press 225 pounds 25 times.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...fast-from-arthroscopic-kn-20150118-story.html

This guy has some real talent and that level of athleticism would put him on a par with Anthony Barr. By the way, I love his backside pursuit and edge setting. Like him as an SLB that becomes a sub pass rusher.

Finally got a look at the measurements from the Medal of Honor Bowl and was disappointed to see that Terry Williams measured 5'11.5" with only 30" arms. Another red flag on him; there aren't many sub 6' DTs in the league.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back