PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

I have no problem whatsoever with having three good TEs, especially if two of them are on rookie salaries. ;)

And as nice a guy as Hoomanawanui might be, I have no qualms about upgrading his spot with a potential Dallas Clark clone or, even better, a GRONK clone. :) [I can't say specifically about O'Leary per se.]

I'm all for grabbing another TE to upgrade Hooman. A day 3 pick (4th or 5th round) would seem reasonable. I've had Miami TE Clive Walford in my mocks, but I'm certainly not wedded to any one guy at the moment.

Sorry I've been missing for a while.

Interesting name for people to keep an eye on is Pittsburgh OT TJ Clemmings. He's a former DL that converted to RT last year and at 6-4 and 313lbs sounds like a potential interior lineman. He has just made it into Todd McShay's top 32 prospects at no 25:

25. T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh Panthers (Grade: 86)
6-4, 313 pounds
Clemmings played poorly last season after transitioning from defensive line to offensive tackle after Pittsburgh was ravaged by injuries on its O-line, in large part because he had no idea what he was doing. But he was on our radar heading into 2014 based on his raw physical tools and high upside, and it's clear that his offseason work has been huge for him in terms of getting better. He's still very much a work in progress, but he has an excellent combination of length, agility and upper-body power. This is his first appearance in the Top 32.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...-spot-ranking-top-32-prospects-2015-nfl-draft (insider only)

Based on limited watching (i.e. this highlight video of James Conner in last years bowl game), Clemmings looks like a potentially nice prospect. Excellent drive blocker that nails his block and wins with length and strength and also has some nice athleticism and agility.

You are looking for the RT, no 68.

And here's Derek Stephens at CBS pre-season on TJ Clemmings:

OT T.J. Clemmings (6'5 | 305 | 5.14 | #68)
A converted defensive end who didn't make the switch to OT until during Bowl prep week in 2012, but started all 13 games for Pitt in 2013 at right tackle, Clemmings demonstrates fluidity, quickness and athleticism that are ideal for a next-level tackle, though he looks more the part of a left tackle prospect than a right tackle considering his finesse style and leaner frame. He utilizes long arms and a rapid, fluid kick-slide to stall and mirror opponents on the edge, and considering his lack of experience on the O-line, is surprisingly consistent with his technique - particularly his footwork. He shows good natural flexibility in his lower half to bend on contact, and as a run blocker can fire through to the second level where he has the ability to square up and target effectively in space. He needs to improve hand placement as a pass-blocker, and will drop his shoulder and head on contact at times, but the athleticism and ability to pick things up quickly are both apparent. Could be a guy who rises rapidly leading up to the draft, with a strong senior season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24632776/nfl-draft-pittsburgh-preview

Regarding the bolded, that's somewhat prescient if McShay's new ranking is to be believed.

CBS Sports currently have Clemmings ranked at 88.

Edit: More on Clemmings.

Tony Pauline:

T.J. Clemmings/OL/Pittsburgh: Prior to the game Friday night I posted Clemmings as a player to watch and he did not disappoint. His blocking helped pave the way for a Pittsburgh offense which put up 414-yards of offense during the victory over Boston College. What stood out most was the way the Panthers constantly ran behind Clemmings, picking up big chunks of yardage. Graded as a middle round choice, Clemmings is a mobile right tackle with the footwork and athleticism necessary to move to the blind-side but has the build of a guard best in a zone/motion blocking scheme.

Muensch & Weidl (ESPN Insider)

We've seen him live twice through four games and have come away extremely impressed. Clemmings, who played just two years of high school football and was recruited as a defensive tackle, was forced to offensive tackle last year due to injuries. He had his share of struggles. However, he appears more comfortable in his second season at the position and is showing better awareness. At nearly 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds, Clemmings has a long and athletic-looking frame with tons of untapped potential that has created a big buzz within inner scouting circles.

Last edited:
Interesting nugget about Missouri DE Shane Ray:

ESPN's Mel Kiper calls Missouri redshirt junior DE Shane Ray the nation's fastest-rising prospect.

"He wasn't on my Big Board at the start of the season because he didn't get enough reps last year, but he's been exceptional in 2014," Kiper wrote. "He's been a constant disruptive force as a pass-rusher, and what I really like is that he can beat you off the edge but also has quickness and shed skills to create separation and penetrate from the inside. Right now he's No. 5 overall on the Big Board." Multiple NFL scouts told Sports Illustrated last week that Ray is a possible top 10 selection. "He’s pretty damn good," one scout said. "He’s real sudden and not real long, but he makes a ton of plays for them." Ray has a 4.44 forty, a 41-inch vertical jump and bench presses more than 400 pounds.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/cfb/nfl-draft

I'm not all that excited about this draft class as a whole, but the Edge rusher class looks to be outstanding.

Two more interesting names for people to keep an eye on:

1. Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (OH)

This is his a first year playing football since HS, he's been a basketball player until now. Two things you should now. Firstly, he's got great size for the position at 6'1" and 200lbs (and everytime I read about him he get's called an athletic freak) and secondly, he's second in the country in interceptions - and this is his first and only year.

Scott Wright of Draft Countdown loves him, calling him the Jimmy Graham of CBs:

I'll quit gushing but draftniks should get to know Miami (OH) CB Quinten Rollins (@QRollins2). Major Talent. Going to FLY up draft boards.

https://twitter.com/DraftCountdown

2. Mark Nzeocha, LB Wyoming

Former safety and now linebacker, Tony Pauline has compared him to Christian Kirksey previously:

Mark Nzeocha/OLB/Wyoming: Originally stamped as a last round pick by scouts, Nzeocha is making a move up draft boards with terrific play this season. The athletic linebacker leads Wyoming in tackles, sacks and pass break-ups during the first half of the campaign. In the teams loss to Hawaii this weekend Nzeocha posted 13 tackles besides forcing a fumble and recovering one. The senior is a three down defender who comes with weak side linebacker measurables (6-feet, 3-inches, 235lbs and 4.5s/forty).

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10086

Interesting write up on Ty Sambrailo from Rob Rang at CBS

Because of his build and the physical nature of his play, Sambrailo appears to have the mentality ideally suited for making the jump inside to guard. He ranks among the nastier linemen I'd scouted this year, routinely punishing defenders with an extra pop at the echo of the whistle in this game.

When run-blocking, Sambrailo would often jolt his opponent with a strong punch to generate movement. Against Hekker, he was consistently able to turn and seal him off from the ball, opening up easy rushing lanes for the Rams to exploit.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...t-csu-ot-ty-sambrailo-shines-mostly-vs-nevada

Like most everyone else, I'm fully onboard the Brandon Scherff train but I do think that Sambrailo and Pittsburgh's TJ Clemmings are good, more realistic alternatives.

Like most everyone else, I'm fully onboard the Brandon Scherff train but I do think that Sambrailo and Pittsburgh's TJ Clemmings are good, more realistic alternatives.

I'm beginning to think that it's Brandon Scherff vs. everyone else. If Scherff is within range, then he's too good to pass up. But there is so much quality OL talent in this draft, that unless the Pats fall in love with a particular prospect, they may be able to wait to the 2nd round (possibly with a trade up) to grab a talented guard, or a guard/tackle.

Right now I'm not sure how to separate these guys:

- La'el Collins, LSU
- Cameron Erving, FSU
- Ty Sambraillo, Colorado St.
- Spencer Drango, Baylor
- Ereck Flowers, Miami
- (TJ Clemmings , Pittsburgh - based on your report, though I haven't looked at him yet)

Cummings is currently ranked #88 by NFL DraftScout. Flowers (34), Collins (38), Sambrailo (41) and Erving (53) are currently ranked in the 2nd round, though I've seen Collins as a top-15 pick in some projections.

I'm all for Scherff, but if he's gone (as seems likely) then I wouldn't mind going DL in the 1st and OL in the 2nd.

I'm beginning to think that it's Brandon Scherff vs. everyone else. If Scherff is within range, then he's too good to pass up. But there is so much quality OL talent in this draft, that unless the Pats fall in love with a particular prospect, they may be able to wait to the 2nd round (possibly with a trade up) to grab a talented guard, or a guard/tackle.

Right now I'm not sure how to separate these guys:

- La'el Collins, LSU
- Cameron Erving, FSU
- Ty Sambraillo, Colorado St.
- Spencer Drango, Baylor
- Ereck Flowers, Miami
- (TJ Clemmings , Pittsburgh - based on your report, though I haven't looked at him yet)

Cummings is currently ranked #88 by NFL DraftScout. Flowers (34), Collins (38), Sambrailo (41) and Erving (53) are currently ranked in the 2nd round, though I've seen Collins as a top-15 pick in some projections.

I'm all for Scherff, but if he's gone (as seems likely) then I wouldn't mind going DL in the 1st and OL in the 2nd.

I think we need to go pass rusher in the first two (three at the latest) rounds. The class is too good this year to pass up on. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by DL but I'd look at edge player before a DT or 3-4DE type personally.

I think we need to go pass rusher in the first two (three at the latest) rounds. The class is too good this year to pass up on. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by DL but I'd look at edge player before a DT or 3-4DE type personally.

I would like to see us double up on the OL and DL in this draft. For "DL", I could see one pick being spent on a bigger DT, depending on how Siliga and Casey Walker develop and projections for Wilfork beyond this year. But I certainly would prioritize a DE ahead of the DT. I don't really want a typical "3-4 DE", but depending on what the defense looks like I could see getting a guy like Shawn Oakman/Arik Armstead/Owamagbe Odighizuwa/Mario Edwards who can play on the edge and kick inside (Leonard Williams will obviously be out of reach), or a guy like Dante Fowler/Shilique Calhoun/Bud Dupree/Bronson Kaufusi who can stand up or play DE. I'm not sure that I see a fit for a speed edge rusher like Vick Beasley, Shane Ray or Lorenzo Maudlin, but I may be wrong.

I wouldn't scream if we went DT early with someone like Eddie Goldman or Danny Shelton, but I'd probably wait until the 3rd or early 4th round to pick up a pure DT. Ellis McCarthy if he slips could be a nice option, or someone like Jordan Phillips or Malcolm Brown if they come out. And if Siliga and Walker look strong later in the season and Wilfork looks like he has some gas left in the tank beyond this year, then I could see waiting even longer, or passing on the position entirely.

I'm starting to really like this draft class, BTW. It's loaded on OL and DL, the two places where I think the Pats need to invest the most. There are some studs at the top (Leonard Williams and Brandon Scherff) and good depth at those positions. I could see trading up to grab a stud who slips a bit, or trading back and getting 1st round talent in the 2nd round. There may not be much dropoff between a guy at 20 and a guy at 40 (consider Dante Fowler vs. Bud Dupree, or La'el Collins vs. Cam Erving).

Looking at the most recent NFL DraftScout rankings:

6. Brandon Scherff - OL - Iowa.
9. Shawn Oakman - DE/DT - Baylor.
19. Eddie Goldman - DT - Florida St.
20. Dante Fowler - DE/OLB - Florida.
22. Shaq Thompson - OLB/S - Washington.
23. Bernardrick McKinney - LB - Mississippi St.
24. Arik Armstead - DE/DT - Oregon.
34. Ereck Flowers - OL - Miami.
26. Danny Shelton - DT - Washington.
38. La'el Collins - OL - LSU.
39. Mario Edwards - DE/DT - Florida St.
40. Bud Dupree - DE/OLB - Kentucky.
41. Ty Sambrailo - OL - Colorado St.
43. Ellis McCarthy - DT - UCLA.
53. Cameron Erving - OL - Florida St.
54. Josue Matias - OG - Florida St.
57. Carl Davis - DT/DE - Iowa.
62. Arie Koundjio - OG - Alabama.
68. Cody Prewitt - S Mississippi.
83. Anthony Harris - S - Virginia.
88. TJ Clemmings - OL - Pittsburgh.
94. Eric Kendricks - LB - UCLA.

A lot of very solid players.

Pass rushers are cheaper to draft than get in free agency. He's had some off-field issues and has been suspended by Ohio St. Failed a couple of drug tests. Noah Spence could be an intriguing target.

Pass rushers are cheaper to draft than get in free agency. He's had some off-field issues and has been suspended by Ohio St. Failed a couple of drug tests. Noah Spence could be an intriguing target.

Is he even draftable? Colt Lyerla v2.0?

Is he even draftable? Colt Lyerla v2.0?

I don't think he's anywhere near the headcase Lyerla is. Not sure how much of a drug problem he has. Ecstasy is the drug he's rumored to have tested positive for. I followed his recruitment from high school. He's from Harrisburg, Pa. Played at a Catholic High School Bishop McDevitt. That's where Ricky Watters and Lesean McCoy played at. PSU has had a historically difficult time recruiting kids from that school. He's from a good family. It was thought Larry Johnson Sr. had successfully recruited him to PSU. Just waiting for the announcement. Then, the Sandusky Scandal broke and he went to OSU. He was Rivals top rated DE in the country, top prospect in Pa and 9th overall in the Country in Class of 2012. Played a lot as a frosh. Started last year. Missed Orange Bowl because of initial suspension. He's prob best served transferring and playing somewhere else next year to build his stock back up. Obviously, wouldn't use a top pick on him. But, it's hard to find pass-rushers with ability. Many of them get in trouble. Transfer somewhere or go to JUCO.

Shawn Oakman for example got tossed out of PSU because of an ugly confrontation with an older woman working in a student cafeteria who tried to confiscate his food card because it had expired. Shoves her against a wall and gets verbal with her. Which is the worst kid? The one like Oakman or the one with a substance problem? Not an easy call. And, you can see why personnel departments have tough decisions to make.

I don't think he's anywhere near the headcase Lyerla is. Not sure how much of a drug problem he has. Ecstasy is the drug he's rumored to have tested positive for. I followed his recruitment from high school. He's from Harrisburg, Pa. Played at a Catholic High School Bishop McDevitt. That's where Ricky Watters and Lesean McCoy played at. PSU has had a historically difficult time recruiting kids from that school. He's from a good family. It was thought Larry Johnson Sr. had successfully recruited him to PSU. Just waiting for the announcement. Then, the Sandusky Scandal broke and he went to OSU. He was Rivals top rated DE in the country, top prospect in Pa and 9th overall in the Country in Class of 2012. Played a lot as a frosh. Started last year. Missed Orange Bowl because of initial suspension. He's prob best served transferring and playing somewhere else next year to build his stock back up. Obviously, wouldn't use a top pick on him. But, it's hard to find pass-rushers with ability. Many of them get in trouble. Transfer somewhere or go to JUCO.

Shawn Oakman for example got tossed out of PSU because of an ugly confrontation with an older woman working in a student cafeteria who tried to confiscate his food card because it had expired. Shoves her against a wall and gets verbal with her. Which is the worst kid? The one like Oakman or the one with a substance problem? Not an easy call. And, you can see why personnel departments have tough decisions to make.

Good post. My view is that post-Hernandez and considering the current climate in the NFL, character risk players are riskier than ever and I personally would, in general, stay away from them. Please note the "in general" though because specific circumstances still matter.

At the end of the day, I don't want us to draft a player, have him turn into a quality starter and then lose him for a year or career. I don't want us to have to endure a Blackmon or Gordon.

Don't take this the wrong way. But, Hernandez was a great draft pick. We took a problem kid later than he should have went and almost won a damn Super Bowl with him. He was outstanding in that game too. The mistake we made was signing him to an extension before we had to.

Obviously, murder is a horrible crime and I'm not making light of what he did. Just making an analogy about when/where to draft kids with off-field issues. Nobody thought we had a potential murderer on our hands.

I'm not sure how much you follow college recruiting. But, many of these kids are from very, rough areas in our country. Many of them come with baggage. It's damn near impossible to field a team without any problems. You just can't guarantee the troubled ones a lot of money or use high picks on them.

Don't take this the wrong way. But, Hernandez was a great draft pick. We took a problem kid later than he should have went and almost won a damn Super Bowl with him. He was outstanding in that game too. The mistake we made was signing him to an extension before we had to.

Obviously, murder is a horrible crime and I'm not making light of what he did. Just making an analogy about when/where to draft kids with off-field issues. Nobody thought we had a potential murderer on our hands.

I'm not sure how much you follow college recruiting. But, many of these kids are from very, rough areas in our country. Many of them come with baggage. It's damn near impossible to field a team without any problems. You just can't guarantee the troubled ones a lot of money or use high picks on them.

Yes, Hernandez was a very good player. And his loss put the team back a step or two with no positional cover behind Gronk. And that's what concerns me, losing a player that you have come to rely on due to a long-term ban means you need to plug that gap which reduces your ability to improve other areas of your team. In the specific case of Spence, when the pass rushing class is as good as it looks to be, I think it's not the best strategy to target the highest risk prospect of them all. If it's a 3rd day pick or UDFA then fine, not too much is wasted but I wouldn't want to take the risk for the sake of a round or two.

Been meaning to ask you guys. What do you think of the little tank RB from Mississippi State. Josh Robinson. If Vereen finishes strong and we keep him. might make a good complementary back. Hard nosed runner who looks good in short-yardage situations.

Starting May 3rd, I shall be on Joey Bosa watch. A JJ Watt like 3-4 DE. That's all.

Starting May 3rd, I shall be on Joey Bosa watch. A JJ Watt like 3-4 DE. That's all.

Great call. I like bosa.

If we need another 3-4 lib, I think bb needs to look hard at depreist of Alabama.

@mayoclinic

I agree that speed rusher might not be the best fit scheme wise. BB seems to prefer the ends that play with more power and can be stout run defenders. But I'd like a speed rusher on our team. Someone who can just pin his ears back and get pressure on the QB. I think it would be good to have some more variety in how we can get to the QB and a speed rusher could give us that. I think one of our defensive problems has been that we have had some slow developing pass rush.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back