PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

An offensive lineman who's flying a bit under the radar but sneaking into the late 1st round in a lot of mocks is Colorado St.'s Ty Sambrailo (6'5" 315#), who played with Weston Richburg:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...t-the-prospect-colorado-state-ot-ty-sambrailo

Sambrailo played guard as well as tackle his first 2 seasons. Is supposedly fast out of his breaks. Another guy to keep an eye on.
Not exactly what I would call a sleeper:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT

NFL Draft Scout Rank - #42 overall

I mentioned FCS strong safety Jaquiski Tartt (Stamford; 6'1" 218#) on the mock draft thread. Bucky Brooks and Dan Jeremiah have this to say about Tartt:

The scoop: "(Samford's) Jaquiski Tartt is one of the best safeties in the country. He was a sleeper candidate at the beginning of the season, but the buzz is building and now every team is on him. He's big, physical and very explosive." -- AFC scout

The skinny: The highest a Samford player has ever been drafted is the fifth round (SS Corey White by theSaints in 2012), but Tartt should easily top that. He has good size (6-foot-1, 218 pounds) and runs well (he has been clocked as fast as 4.46 in the 40). He is extremely active in run support; he had 98 tackles last season for the Bulldogs and is second on the team with 22 this season (half of those came in a season-opening loss to TCU, the only FBS team on Samford's schedule). Tartt has scored three defensive touchdowns since the beginning of the 2012 season. He played only one season of high school football in Mobile, Ala., and still is learning the nuances of the position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-us-what-were-hearing-about-top-nfl-prospects

An offensive lineman who's flying a bit under the radar but sneaking into the late 1st round in a lot of mocks is Colorado St.'s Ty Sambrailo (6'5" 315#), who played with Weston Richburg:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...t-the-prospect-colorado-state-ot-ty-sambrailo

Sambrailo played guard as well as tackle his first 2 seasons. Is supposedly fast out of his breaks. Another guy to keep an eye on.

Was going to mention him myself. Not especially quick feet but a mauler in the run game. There aren't any videos of him directly on Draft Breakdown but if anyone wants to check him out, search for Kapri Bibbs and Weston Richburg videos and watch the LT no 51.

Was going to mention him myself. Not especially quick feet but a mauler in the run game. There aren't any videos of him directly on Draft Breakdown but if anyone wants to check him out, search for Kapri Bibbs and Weston Richburg videos and watch the LT no 51.

The more quality offensive linemen in this draft, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

NFL DraftScout currently has 12 offensive linemen ranked in the top 64:

3. Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
5. Andrus Peat, Stanford
6. Brandon Scherff, Iowa
18. Spencer Drango, Baylor
31. La'el Collins, LSU
40. AJ Cann, South Carolina
41. Ereck Flowers, Miami
42. Ty Sambrailo, Colorado St.
54. Cameron Erving, Florida St.
56. Josue Matias, Florida St.
61. Reese Dismukes, Auburn
63. Arie Kouandjio, Alabama

Only Peat and Ogbuehi are pure tackles. Scherff, Drango, Collins, Flowers, Sambrailo and Erving are all tackles who could easily project to guard.

Damn, and Gurley was probably gonna be the first RB off the board. Which would have dropped my binky, RB Cameron Artiss-Payne, down a little for us. Oh well, if it isn't anything really major maybe Gurley will be the bargain pick for us. ;)

He used his likeness to make some straight cash. Lock him up.

Nice profile on Boise St. RB Jay Ajayi by Eric Galko:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...jay-ajayi-nfl-ready-back-keeps-getting-better

If Stevan Ridley moves on, Ajayi would make a great replacement, with more receiving ability. Galko notes:

Many running backs come out of college lacking pass-receiving experience. Ajayi has 31 catches this season, including 12 in the opener. He had 22 as a sophomore.

Look beyond the numbers: Ajayi has soft hands and good receiving technique. He's a safety-valve option or a big-play threat off a wheel route. Quarterback Grant Hendrick and the offense love involving him as a receiver because he can make plays.

Ajayi has nice vision and good ability to find holes and to make defenders miss. Galko notes:

Ajayi's best attribute is his hip flexibility. He changes direction while keeping his shoulders square to absorb contact. Few running backs are built that way. The ones that are give defenses fits.

I think he's a solid 3rd round value.

From Matt Miller's scouting notebook:

An area scout assigned to Iowa told me this week that he and his NFL team seeBrandon Scherff as a guard due to his shorter arms. That said, they view Scherff as an elite-level guard prospect thanks to his strength, run blocking skill set and quickness off the ball.

Also:

Versatile linebackers are all the rage in the NFL right now, and Mississippi State 'backer Benardrick McKinney fits the bill.

The 6'5", 249 pound redshirt junior was heavily rumored to be leaning toward entering the 2014 NFL draft, but returned to Starkville to improve his play and his stock. He's done both. With an NFL-ready frame, unreal length and very good agility, McKinney could play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense or middle/inside linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 set.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2225817-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-for-week-6

I know with Tim Wright showing up last week vs Cincy, that TE2 might not be that much of a concern going forward, but am I the only one that thinks Nick O'Leary would be a monster here in this system?

Guy is Dallas Clark in his prime...

With Ridley likely out for the year, and his contract along with Vereen's expiring after this season…. I like the idea of a RB in th 1st rd.

You can get elite RB talent late in the 1st these days.

With Ridley likely out for the year, and his contract along with Vereen's expiring after this season…. I like the idea of a RB in th 1st rd.

You can get elite RB talent late in the 1st these days.

You can also get elite RB talent on day 2 (Shady McCoy, Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Leveon Bell, DeMarco Murray, etc.).

I actually think that Ridley's injury markedly increases the odds of his returning to the Pats next year. Assuming it is indeed an ACL, I don't think there will be much of a market for him, and he's much more likely to sign a 1 year "prove it" deal with the Pats. Also, the Pats will have Tyler Gaffney coming back next season from a meniscus injury. A lot will depend on the medical reports on those guys 6 months from now, but I can't see spending a 1st round pick on a RB. JMHO.

I know with Tim Wright showing up last week vs Cincy, that TE2 might not be that much of a concern going forward, but am I the only one that thinks Nick O'Leary would be a monster here in this system?

Guy is Dallas Clark in his prime...

I have no problem whatsoever with having three good TEs, especially if two of them are on rookie salaries. ;)

And as nice a guy as Hoomanawanui might be, I have no qualms about upgrading his spot with a potential Dallas Clark clone or, even better, a GRONK clone. :) [I can't say specifically about O'Leary per se.]

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back