PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Thanks for the Hageman article. It was a good read and gave me a lot to think about.

The first thing that I picked up on right away is that Hageman was a TE conversion project. Then he moved to DE. Then he moved to DT where he was the team captain his senior year. That shows some impressive versatility.

Can you imagine Hageman reporting in as an eligible receiver on goal line formations? He would continue the Mike Vrabel tradition of a Pats DE lining up as a TE on offense. A 6'6 300 lb receving threat... who would be ready for that? I can picture the DBs eyes going big as saucers trying to figure out what the heck to do to stop a beast like Hageman on a goal line stand.

As far as where he projects for us, I would see him lining up at LDE. If he ever reached his full potential I could picture him playing the Justin Smith role for us. I think it will take time, but it's quite possible that with proper coaching, Hageman could be ready to contribute more fully by the end of the season. That is he's a candidate to make the Jamie Collins late season leap.

And if you have ever analyzed the 49ers defense, you would see that Aldon Smith benefits greatly by having a Justin Smith type on the opposite end. When Justin Smith was hurt, Aldon Smith's production suffered. Conversely if Hageman could mature into a Justin Smith type at LDE, I could see Chandler Jone's productivity taking a step up to the next level just because there's a legitimate threat lined up opposite him.

Furthermore, Hageman's physical tools are just impressive all around. He has prototypical size with a 6'6 310 lb frame. Add on top of that his lengthy 34 1/4" arms and 10 1/4" size mitts. In a Nascar package, I would picture Hageman moving inside, while Ninkovich takes the DE spot. And he would bother a LOT of throws with his huge mitts and long arms. Even if he doesn't get to the QB, he could bat down his fair share of passes. Hageman also had the 2nd most reps at the DT position with 32 bench presses.

So what's the downside? Well on film, he doesn't quite measure up to his physical and athletic potential. He plays with a high pad level. He gets washed out against the run too often for a guy with his size/strength. And he looks fairly overmatched against the double team. These mistakes are probably correctable with proper coaching, but at the moment they are glaring weaknesses.

And then of course there is his background. His history of temper issues. Being raised in a foster home by white parents. Being suspended for the week of his high school championship game for getting into a verbal altercation at lunch.

You have to wonder if he has the stability to be a #1 pick. If he can translate his vast potential into actual impact on the football field. But reading over his story, I see that he has very strong family support. He was raised right. I think that if he fails, it won't be because he got in trouble with the law, it will be more that he just never managed to translate his talent to the pro level.

I think in the end that it is a big gamble. But at the backend of the draft, it's hard to find someone with his physical potential and upside. If he succeeds he could be the next Mo Wilkerson or Justin Smith and he would become a fixture for us on defense.

He would also offer versatility that BB covets and create mismatches on the defensive line. It's a tough call, but barring a more sure talent sliding to 29, I would bet on Hageman to succeed. The Pats organization also offers the kind of structure and established routine that a kid like Hageman really needs in place to realize his full potential. If he goes to a less well put together team, a chaotic situation, I could see him flopping spectacularly.

Thanks for the Hageman article. It was a good read and gave me a lot to think about.

The first thing that I picked up on right away is that Hageman was a TE conversion project. Then he moved to DE. Then he moved to DT where he was the team captain his senior year. That shows some impressive versatility.

Can you imagine Hageman reporting in as an eligible receiver on goal line formations? He would continue the Mike Vrabel tradition of a Pats DE lining up as a TE on offense. A 6'6 300 lb receving threat... who would be ready for that? I can picture the DBs eyes going big as saucers trying to figure out what the heck to do to stop a beast like Hageman on a goal line stand.

As far as where he projects for us, I would see him lining up at LDE. If he ever reached his full potential I could picture him playing the Justin Smith role for us. I think it will take time, but it's quite possible that with proper coaching, Hageman could be ready to contribute more fully by the end of the season. That is he's a candidate to make the Jamie Collins late season leap.

And if you have ever analyzed the 49ers defense, you would see that Aldon Smith benefits greatly by having a Justin Smith type on the opposite end. When Justin Smith was hurt, Aldon Smith's production suffered. Conversely if Hageman could mature into a Justin Smith type at LDE, I could see Chandler Jone's productivity taking a step up to the next level just because there's a legitimate threat lined up opposite him.

Furthermore, Hageman's physical tools are just impressive all around. He has prototypical size with a 6'6 310 lb frame. Add on top of that his lengthy 34 1/4" arms and 10 1/4" size mitts. In a Nascar package, I would picture Hageman moving inside, while Ninkovich takes the DE spot. And he would bother a LOT of throws with his huge mitts and long arms. Even if he doesn't get to the QB, he could bat down his fair share of passes. Hageman also had the 2nd most reps at the DT position with 32 bench presses.

So what's the downside? Well on film, he doesn't quite measure up to his physical and athletic potential. He plays with a high pad level. He gets washed out against the run too often for a guy with his size/strength. And he looks fairly overmatched against the double team. These mistakes are probably correctable with proper coaching, but at the moment they are glaring weaknesses.

And then of course there is his background. His history of temper issues. Being raised in a foster home by white parents. Being suspended for the week of his high school championship game for getting into a verbal altercation at lunch.

You have to wonder if he has the stability to be a #1 pick. If he can translate his vast potential into actual impact on the football field. But reading over his story, I see that he has very strong family support. He was raised right. I think that if he fails, it won't be because he got in trouble with the law, it will be more that he just never managed to translate his talent to the pro level.

I think in the end that it is a big gamble. But at the backend of the draft, it's hard to find someone with his physical potential and upside. If he succeeds he could be the next Mo Wilkerson or Justin Smith and he would become a fixture for us on defense.

He would also offer versatility that BB covets and create mismatches on the defensive line. It's a tough call, but barring a more sure talent sliding to 29, I would bet on Hageman to succeed. The Pats organization also offers the kind of structure and established routine that a kid like Hageman really needs in place to realize his full potential. If he goes to a less well put together team, a chaotic situation, I could see him flopping spectacularly.

Patriots have shown a fair bit of interest in Hageman's teammate and Shane's brother Brock Vereen. Might they be getting the low down on Hageman. looking at Brock Vereen as a calming influence on Hageman perhaps. Maybe a stretch but it wouldn't surprise me.

Stop me if this sounds familiar:

Cassius Marsh, DE (6-3 7/8, 252) — Marsh ran the 40 in 4.70 and 4.77 seconds. He had a 9-6 broad jump and performed 17 reps on the bench press. Marsh — who has 33-inch arms — had those attending UCLA’s pro day marvelling at his athleticism. He might be able to play outside linebacker in the NFL. He also worked out some at tight end, and that might be a possible position for him as well.

Marsh is an interesting late round option as a linebacker. Has the versatility to play linebacker, DE and even lined up inside at times for UCLA.

Pro Days - NFL.com

Stop me if this sounds familiar:

Marsh is an interesting late round option as a linebacker. Has the versatility to play linebacker, DE and even lined up inside at times for UCLA.

Pro Days - NFL.com

Saw him play in high school -- was a senior captain with Montana's kid. Was supposed to go to LSU and then switched to UCLA.

I don't follow UCLA closely, but I think he was a bit of a disappointment who came around a bit his senior year.

Looking at the pro day #s, I'd be a little worried about the bench -- I'm sure the excuse is long arms, but 17 seems low to me for a guy who might be on the line.

I don't think I'd use a pick on him -- too many question marks, imo.

Too bad we don't run a 3-4 any more. Athletic DT's is what we need. Not the NG type like Nix.

I agree on a more athletic DT but Seattle flips to a 3-4 at times to confuse the offensive line. Bill still used the 3-4 at times last year and always will. Either way my comments were more it's interesting that they could not that I want them to or that they will.

After looking at many clips, Trai Turner is just behind Zac Martin as my favorite offensive line prospect.

I mean Stanford's defense in the Rose Bowl or Notre Dame's had _no one_ on his level that I watched. The inconsistency does worry me, but when he's bringin' it, you're not in Kansas any more, Tonto.

I don't think this is what Dorothy was holding . . .

johnny-depp-covers-rolling-stone-magazine-as-lone-ranger-tonto.jpg

:D

Guys, I'd like someone to go over Ra'Shede Hageman with a fine toothed comb. Maybe you glanced at him before. But right now with the Wilfork situation and with the fact that we have Revis in the fold, I believe that DL need escalates even further than before. The other guy I considered was Tuitt, but most mocks have him as an early 2nd round value.

So draftniks, look him over again and report back in, is Hageman worth our pick at #29 or should we trade down and get Tuitt or ASJ?

Hageman:
Ra'Shede Hageman Draft Profile ? NFL.com

video
Ra'Shede Hageman - 2014 NFL Draft profile - YouTube

Tuitt:
Stephon Tuitt Draft Profile ? NFL.com

injury risk?
2014 NFL Draft: Stephon Tuitt's Foot Fracture Explained - Battle Red Blog

I have not put much time into following the Draft this year, but I see TE, DT and OL as our biggest draft needs. I was on board with the concept of Hageman in the first round - a tall athletic DT, but after watching that little bit of film I'm totally turned off. This guy is way over-hyped from what I can tell.

I'm just watching the 2011 draft again. Now whilst the depth in this draft is better, how do people feel this draft compares in the top half of the first round to that one? There wwas some special talent going in the top 10 that year.

Also, the second QB that year was Jake Locker at #8. I can see the top teams wanting to take the talent rather than the QBs again this year.

Our real issue imo is that we don't have another 2nd round pick. I'd be fine with a trade back from the 1st because we desperately need additional picks. If we don't land ASJ, I'd be fine with Fed in the 3rd but for some reason I fear he doesn't make it to our 3rd round pick. and then what do we do?

Our real issue imo is that we don't have another 2nd round pick. I'd be fine with a trade back from the 1st because we desperately need additional picks. If we don't land ASJ, I'd be fine with Fed in the 3rd but for some reason I fear he doesn't make it to our 3rd round pick. and then what do we do?

If we don't get one of the big three falling to us at #62, trade back from the second into the third. Assuming we went DT in the first, that gives us two thirds and two fourths for The Fed, an OL or two and a LB.

I'm just watching the 2011 draft again. Now whilst the depth in this draft is better, how do people feel this draft compares in the top half of the first round to that one? There wwas some special talent going in the top 10 that year.

Also, the second QB that year was Jake Locker at #8. I can see the top teams wanting to take the talent rather than the QBs again this year.

Locker and Ponder were looked at as going at the top of the second if memory serves. So that would be like Carr and Garoppolo climbing into the top 15 to which I can only say, PLEASE make it so!!! :D

It will be hard for this year's top half of the first round to out produce that class even with Locker and Pounder being crap.

Check out the 2004 draft. That was one hell of a first round.

Locker and Ponder were looked at as going at the top of the second if memory serves. So that would be like Carr and Garoppolo climbing into the top 15 to which I can only say, PLEASE make it so!!! :D

It will be hard for this year's top half of the first round to out produce that class even with Locker and Pounder being crap.

Check out the 2004 draft. That was one hell of a first round.

At the same time, QB needy teams like the Bengals, 49ers and Redskins didn't go QB in the first round.

1. CJ Fiedorowicz is a fantastic blocker. He's a 3rd OT.

2. He has buckets for hands. Snags pretty much everything.

3. I'm fine with him on day two or early day three. Great backup and complement to Gronk.

See.

#86 C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa vs Ohio St '13 - YouTube

After the Combine one of the Twitter Draftniks I follow went back to check if the athleticism translated onto the field. He felt that while the athleticism is there, CJ seemed to play slower. This could just be due to not being instinctive due to lack of reps in the passing game. Any thoughts?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back