PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Just some more thoughts on the QBs.

1. If any QB is going to challenge Teddy Bridgewater's status as #1, I think it'll be Devin Gardner. At times he makes the game look so easy. He needs polish but he has all the tools.

2. People might think that AJ McCarron would be the obvious Brady-like QB in this draft and I can see why. But actually I think it might be UNC's Bryn Renner. Does that short pass quick hit passing a lot. I don't know how good he is at recognising defenses though.

3. I really don't like Stephen Morris (Miami, FL). Loads of upside but he has zero touch and his accuracy is appalling. On almost every play, his receivers are having to dive for, stretch, jump or reach back to catch his passes. I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB make his receivers work harder. I think he'll probably go in the 2-3 range because he's got a very strong arm but when I was watching him, I kept wanting to slap an undrafteable grade on him. Seriously, very few QBs have been as frustrating to watch as him.

By the way, I still love Kevin Hogan, but I must retract my statements about his perfect mechanics. I downloaded the Oregon Stanford game and the Rose Bowl in their entirety from YouTube, but YouTube resolution isn't good enough for me to see the football when he's throwing (it's just a blur), and, now that I see some Hogan on TV, I realize he has a low arm slot, and he kind of hoists the ball. Still has solid feet, good hips and a nice follow through

By the way, I still love Kevin Hogan, but I must retract my statements about his perfect mechanics. I downloaded the Oregon Stanford game and the Rose Bowl in their entirety from YouTube, but YouTube resolution isn't good enough for me to see the football when he's throwing (it's just a blur), and, now that I see some Hogan on TV, I realize he has a low arm slot, and he kind of hoists the ball. Still has solid feet, good hips and a nice follow through

What do you think of Blake Bortles?

Just watched some Eric Ebron from UNC. Man can this kid block, and he's got some really good hands to boot. I'd put him #2 behind ASJ in TE rankings for next season.

An early favourite for one of my major binkies next year is Jimmie Ward of Northern Illinois.

I was a huge fan of Mark Barron two years ago and whilst Ward isn't at that level, his instincts and tackling ability certainly makes the comparison worthy. Ward doesn't have elite size (5-11, 192) and his speed is likely to be in the 4.5 to 4.6 range so he's not likely to challenge the first or maybe second round, but, whilst I'll need to see more, there'll not be many safeties who can challenge him in terms of on-field play.

Jimmie Ward vs Florida State (2013 Bowl) - YouTube

Right now. do you see safety as a need in 2014?

If so wouldn't a bruiser be the option?

As of right now I don't see it as a need, and then i'm not counting on Ebner other the 5th safety / special team ace.

Right now. do you see safety as a need in 2014?

If so wouldn't a bruiser be the option?

As of right now I don't see it as a need, and then i'm not counting on Ebner other the 5th safety / special team ace.

No it's not a need unless Tavon Wilson and/or Nate Ebner don't take a step forward - then I think it very much becomes a need. anyway, I don't care - I just really liked Jimmie Ward regardless of his fit :p

No it's not a need unless Tavon Wilson and/or Nate Ebner don't take a step forward - then I think it very much becomes a need. anyway, I don't care - I just really liked Jimmie Ward regardless of his fit :p

Manx where have you been recently? Just totally getting looked into watching prospects? You're a big Stanford guy, and I've seen some 2015 mocks that have come out with going in the Top 5. You think he's that kind of talent? I know you had some good things to say about him above.

Some really interesting guys.

1. Qua Cox, CB, Jackson State

5-11, 185 lbs, Snr

Do not sleep on this guy - he has the look of a potentially outstanding cover corner. I suspect fans of Jason Verrett will like Cox too.

Interesting note.
While doing research on Qua Cox I found out that his brother James Patrick, a CFL Safety, was on the Patriots PS back in '06.

Maybe they'll like his family lines.

Manx where have you been recently? Just totally getting looked into watching prospects? You're a big Stanford guy, and I've seen some 2015 mocks that have come out with going in the Top 5. You think he's that kind of talent? I know you had some good things to say about him above.

I think you forgot the name there. And I'm not really a Stanford guy necessarily but would be interested to know which prospect you are referring too.

I think you forgot the name there. And I'm not really a Stanford guy necessarily but would be interested to know which prospect you are referring too.

Kevin Hogan. Sorry. Total brain fart.

Kevin Hogan. Sorry. Total brain fart.

No problem. Actually it's Mackenzie that you need to talk too on Hogan - he's taken a close look at him and is a fan. I'm afraid I haven't taken a look yet - sorry.

I was thinking that to when I saw the post... I thought to myself "I thought I was the big Stanford guy"

First of all, I got on the Kevin Hogan bandwagon to quickly. I said he had perfect mechanics... that's not the case, I've realized that the football is a blur in YouTube resolution (not highlights, I downloaded two games in their entirety from YouTube). Given that there aren't enough frames per second on computer film to see the football, I wasn't able to notice Hogan's low arm slot and a small amount of wasted motion bringing the football back when I saw him. That being said, he's pretty good from the waist down.

Just watched some Eric Ebron from UNC. Man can this kid block, and he's got some really good hands to boot. I'd put him #2 behind ASJ in TE rankings for next season.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit here.

1. He's not that impressive a blocker, at least at the LOS. Is better in open field to give him credit.

2. I'm actually pretty disappointed with his hands, has some silly drops and struggles to hold on if his catch is contested.

having said that, he's really athletic and my two knocks only drop him from a first rounder to a surefire second rounder (could see him going late first).

In terms of the seniors, this looks to be a very disappointing TE class ad we're going to need the likes of Ebron, Lyerla, amaro and ASJ to declare to make this TE draft interesting.

I was actually more impressed with Ebron as a speed pass rusher. Whilst he can get knocked to the ground pretty easily, has some impressive burst which gets him into the backfield quickly.

Check him out from the starting point in this vid:

Eric Ebron vs NC State 2012 - YouTube

If Mayo was still here, he'd be getting pretty excited about now:

@EdwardLewisBSR: #UCLA LB Anthony Barr confirmed he ran a 4.46 40. And he did it at 6 feet 5, 255 pounds.

https://twitter.com/ap575/status/361933984051109888

Obviously not an official combine time, but for comparison's sake, Dion Jordan ran an official 4.6 at 248lbs. There likely won't be many going ahead of him in next years draft if things stay the same.

If Mayo was still here, he'd be getting pretty excited about now:

https://twitter.com/ap575/status/361933984051109888

Obviously not an official combine time, but for comparison's sake, Dion Jordan ran an official 4.6 at 248lbs. There likely won't be many going ahead of him in next years draft if things stay the same.

Why did he leave? He was easily one of the best posters on this forum.

Why did he leave? He was easily one of the best posters on this forum.

I have no idea. It was strange because Merrill Hoge's TK left around the same time - a month or so before the draft.

A top 100 list of div-11 prospects. You know you're a draft nerd when you bookmark this:

2013 Division II Top 100 - TonySoftli.com

BTW, I mentioned this guy last year. Check out the bolded.

9. DE Larry Webster, Bloomsburg, Sr., 6-7, 240

Webster has just one year of football under his belt but already places himself pretty high due to his elite speed (4.5), length, movement skills, and flashes of pass rush ability. Many coaches feel he is overrated at this spot and believe he should improve as a run stopper to warrant the high rating but I expect him to do so. Keep in mind as a rotational starter in his first year of football he had 15 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit here.

1. He's not that impressive a blocker, at least at the LOS. Is better in open field to give him credit.

2. I'm actually pretty disappointed with his hands, has some silly drops and struggles to hold on if his catch is contested.

having said that, he's really athletic and my two knocks only drop him from a first rounder to a surefire second rounder (could see him going late first).

In terms of the seniors, this looks to be a very disappointing TE class ad we're going to need the likes of Ebron, Lyerla, amaro and ASJ to declare to make this TE draft interesting.

I was actually more impressed with Ebron as a speed pass rusher. Whilst he can get knocked to the ground pretty easily, has some impressive burst which gets him into the backfield quickly.

Check him out from the starting point in this vid:

Eric Ebron vs NC State 2012 - YouTube

I believe that's the video I watched. Yes he had some easy drops on screen passes. He's not a great in-line blocker but at the second level he's very good. I really wasn't expecting much of him as a blocker, but I was a pleasantly surprised. The senior TE group is not very good, but ASJ, Lyeria, and maybe Ebron could all be first rounders.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back