PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 Pats Defense: Most Sacks of Belichick Era in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The current defense has registered 48 sacks, more than any other defensive squad under BB in NE. I haven't calculated sacks per pass attempt, and it is true that teams are passing much more than in past years. But nonetheless this is a significant development, and I believe the drafting of Jones has played a significant role in this. One of the elements lacking in prior playoff teams of recent years is 4th quarter pass rush in big games. Hightower and Collins are assets that need to be utilized more in this regard moving forward into the postseason. Both players can destroy halfback would-be blockers, and create the backfield chaos necessary to disrupt offensive rhythm at key moments. I am hoping as always for the best.

Other note: I also hope McDaniels' flirtation with Browns'/Lions HC jobs does not distract him from his preparations, because he needs to be much better than in years past, where his playoff game plans have been putrid. He needs to convince Brady to stay committed to the run. His reluctance to enforce his authority in past years as coordinator in deference to the competitive spirit of his best player has ultimately been a detriment to the team's success in playoff games. Fortunately redemption for all is within reach. They need to Riddle defenses with Blount force trauma, and pick spots to go deep to Dobson/Thompson as well, provided either can get on the field.

The current defense has registered 48 sacks, more than any other defensive squad under BB in NE. I haven't calculated sacks per pass attempt, and it is true that teams are passing much more than in past years. But nonetheless this is a significant development, and I believe the drafting of Jones has played a significant role in this. One of the elements lacking in prior playoff teams of recent years is 4th quarter pass rush in big games. Hightower and Collins are assets that need to be utilized more in this regard moving forward into the postseason. Both players can destroy halfback would-be blockers, and create the backfield chaos necessary to disrupt offensive rhythm at key moments. I am hoping as always for the best.

Other note: I also hope McDaniels' flirtation with Browns'/Lions HC jobs does not distract him from his preparations, because he needs to be much better than in years past, where his playoff game plans have been putrid. He needs to convince Brady to stay committed to the run. His reluctance to enforce his authority in past years as coordinator in deference to the competitive spirit of his best player has ultimately been a detriment to the team's success in playoff games. Fortunately redemption for all is within reach. They need to Riddle defenses with Blount force trauma, and pick spots to go deep to Dobson/Thompson as well, provided either can get on the field.

Wow... that is absolutely shocking. For some reason, I just have never thought this team's pass rush was anything special. In fact, if you hadn't posted this, I would have guessed this team was below average for a Belichick era defense.

Chandler Jones is something special. I know the Wilfork injury was an absolute killer, but Jones is our best defensive linemen and probably our best defensive player. Not only is he a monster coming at the QB, he is probably our best run defender as well. Thanks, Rex.

Tribute to all the young defensive tackles too. For one thing, if you can't hold the middle, your outside rushers aren't going to have a chance. Plus, all the youngsters have sacks of their own.

Nink has a quiet 8.

Wow... that is absolutely shocking. For some reason, I just have never thought this team's pass rush was anything special. In fact, if you hadn't posted this, I would have guessed this team was below average for a Belichick era defense.

Chandler Jones is something special. I know the Wilfork injury was an absolute killer, but Jones is our best defensive linemen and probably our best defensive player. Not only is he a monster coming at the QB, he is probably our best run defender as well. Thanks, Rex.

I love wilfork, but he has always been a liability when it comes to rushing the passer. The fact wilfork in his entire 9 season career has only 16 sacks speaks a lot.

Siliga IN HIS three games here in new england has equaled wilforks highest season sack total.

I love wilfork, but he has always been a liability when it comes to rushing the passer. The fact wilfork in his entire 9 season career has only 16 sacks speaks a lot.

Siliga IN HIS three games here in new england has equaled wilforks highest season sack total.
Why do I feel like I need to explain what Wilfork's primary duties are and why teams find it so damn difficult to run on the Patriots with Wilfork and Mayo at full health?

Siliga has been a nice find and has played well since inserted into the line up but he's not Vince Wilfork.

Why do I feel like I need to explain what Wilfork's primary duties are and why teams find it so damn difficult to run on the Patriots with Wilfork and Mayo at full health?

Siliga has been a nice find and has played well since inserted into the line up but he's not Vince Wilfork.

I understand his role :rolleyes:

This season has showed us just how valuable a run stufer is compared to a pass rusher. This a passing league now and even though the pats were 31st in the league against the run, teams still couldn't beat the patriots.

Chandler jones in today's nfl is more valuable than wilfork.

All I know is Siliga got pushed back literally 10 yards by Marshall Yanda on one run play. And right next to him Hightower and Spikes were holding their blocks and they only ran for 5 yards fortunately.

We're lucky to have Siliga with our injuries upfront. But to say we can replace Wilfork....that's nuts!:eek:

I was just checking nfl.com stats. Surprised to see the patriots are #5 in the league with 48 sacks. Panthers are #1 with 60, Bills who we just played are number #2 with 57.

Any total on QB knockdowns ... they are a more useful stat IMO.

This season has showed us just how valuable a run stufer is compared to a pass rusher. This a passing league now and even though the pats were 31st in the league against the run, teams still couldn't beat the patriots.

Wilfork demands double-teams from the OL. That means he's making the guys around him better at what they do.

Between taking up two blockers, his run-stuffing ability and the leadership qualities he brings to the team.. Wilfork is worth his weight in gold.

Now if you put a gun to my head for NEXT season and demanded I pick either Jones or Wilfork.. I'd very begrudgingly pick Jones, but only because of where they are on the age spectrum of their careers.

Problem is, an injury to Jones or Nino and these numbers get halved as depth is pretty poor still.

If you understood what role Wilfork performed for the Patriots, you wouldn't have put forward this post nor taken the position that you have.

The NFL has been a passing league for decades. This isn't news to anyone.

You need to give a lot of credit to the secondary for making the QBs take more time, I'm guessing. Compare that to the last 2-3 years where even mediocre QBs were finding open targets right away. Nobody gets sacks in that circumstance.

Don't forget Wilfork can play about 12 positions if we need him too, including quarterback!

:D

From a pure numbers standpoint, I suspect a lot of what's going on is interior rush. First of all, Jones and Siliga combined for at least 9 sacks. Second, outside pass rushers have been lining up on the inside, and getting at least a few sacks there, quite apart from any stunts that wind up having similar effects.

I suspect that an awful lot of this, if you really looked into it, would be that the players are following Coach Belichick's prime directive "Just Do Your Job!"

Problem is, an injury to Jones or Nino and these numbers get halved as depth is pretty poor still.

There's always Jake Bequette.:bricks:

not trying to throw cold water on this but I think that a good amount of this sacks were in garbage time, like the first game against the Dolphins, they were sacking Tannehill with free tickets.

it's a good stat anyway but let's not get too much enthusiasm on this, pass rush is still a big need and I would totally endorse draft a stud DE in the 1st round to pair with Chandler Jones.

the best part is that most of the sacks came from the starting front 4

Don't forget Wilfork can play about 12 positions if we need him too, including quarterback!

:D

I just love it when Wilfork drops back into coverage... though Connolly at kick-returner is a close close second. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News