PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 mock draft FAIL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Colts are just one team, and Neal was injured. If Neal's fit, we're fine because we can simply double Mathis. If he's not, get Crumpler in to double him on every play.

I do think we could do with reinforcements, but the problem is working out who is worth picking at each of our spots.
Of course Kaczur playing on two bum wheels for that game had nothing to do with it either...and who ever said Mathis was easy to block? :confused2:

Of course Kaczur playing on two bum wheels for that game had nothing to do with it either...and who ever said Mathis was easy to block? :confused2:

I always enjoy seeing Mathis doing well because he is the prime example of the benefit that a team gets from having two very good players at complementary position. Nothing annoys me more than having an All-Pro in one spot (e.g. DE, CB, S) and a JAG on the opposite side. It. Just. Defeats. The. Point. Sure, you can scheme to get added value from the All-Pro by shading coverage or exploiting double teams from the opposing OL, but you can't beat having a lockdown unit.

Interestingly, since we were talking about the Colts, the only other team (and here I'm going to be controversial) with a great 4-3 front is the Vikings. Most other teams have one great DE and one JAG, which really lets them down.

I always enjoy seeing Mathis doing well because he is the prime example of the benefit that a team gets from having two very good players at complementary position. Nothing annoys me more than having an All-Pro in one spot (e.g. DE, CB, S) and a JAG on the opposite side. It. Just. Defeats. The. Point. Sure, you can scheme to get added value from the All-Pro by shading coverage or exploiting double teams from the opposing OL, but you can't beat having a lockdown unit.

Interestingly, since we were talking about the Colts, the only other team (and here I'm going to be controversial) with a great 4-3 front is the Vikings. Most other teams have one great DE and one JAG, which really lets them down.
There is a shortage of studs for DE, Indy stands out here because they took a "too small" DE and let him play. He gets an assist being across from Freeney, but he does okay on his own too.

It would be interesting to see BB do something similar with TBC by pairing him with someone like Eric Norwood, that's a pretty light run stopping front, but they surely would get after the QB.

It would be interesting to see BB do something similar with TBC by pairing him with someone like Eric Norwood, that's a pretty light run stopping front, but they surely would get after the QB.
Only against the Bills.

Ok, if you don't want Veldheer as RT who do you want to want to play there? Kaczur is absolutely NOT the answer, you saw how the Colts D owned him and we definitely need to be able to beat the Colts if we want to get deep into the playoffs, so who do you pick?

I agree that OxyKaczur is NOT the answer at any Tackle position. This season, Vollmer is our RT, Light the LT, and LeVoir the Swing.

If Vollmer is our future LT, then we can draft a RT-only next year. If he is our future RT, then LT becomes a High Priority, either this year or next year, at the latest.

I agree that OxyKaczur is NOT the answer at any Tackle position. This season, Vollmer is our RT, Light the LT, and LeVoir the Swing.

If Vollmer is our future LT, then we can draft a RT-only next year. If he is our future RT, then LT becomes a High Priority, either this year or next year, at the latest.

The only OL drafted by Belichick in the top 3 rounds were Vollmer, Mankins, Kaczur, Light and Klemm. Klemm was a bust so he needs to be discarded. Mankins and Light were drafted into "holes" so they were starters from day 1. Vollmer (Kaczur) and Kaczur (Ashworth) had players ahead of them on day 1. Don't know if that is a large enough sample size to determine if Belichick would use a top pick with the intention (pending injury) of having them ride the bench for a year. That to me is one of the great unknowns for this draft.

Determining Bill's intentions is one of the great unknowns of the universe, let alone of the draft.

In the meantime, here's a mess from Wes Bunting, who seems to have gone from "out of the box" to "out of his mind":

Mock Draft: 5.0 | National Football Post

Why can't we draft a RT this year if Vollmer is the LT of the future? Light flat out sucks and he's not getting any younger, if you want Brady to be on the field you need to make protecting him a priority, he's less mobile than ever with his knee and relying on Light will only make the situation worse.

Draft Veldheer in the 2nd and coach him up as soon as possible so we have an awesome set of bookends to protect Brady.

Why can't we draft a RT this year if Vollmer is the LT of the future? Light flat out sucks and he's not getting any younger; if you want Brady to be on the field you need to make protecting him a priority; he's less mobile than ever with his knee and relying on Light will only make the situation worse.

Draft Veldheer in the 2nd and coach him up as soon as possible so we have an awesome set of bookends to protect Brady.

I just don't feel that RT is as much of a priority this year as other positions - WR, Pass-Rusher, SILB, CB, DE & Center - are this year. I'd rather wait until the 6th/7th rounds before drafting a RT-only.

Youth + talent at WR & Pass-Rusher MUST be addressed by the end of the 2nd round. Tackle is one of the very few positions on this team wherre we have any quality depth at all.

Not a criticism of anyone in particular, but I think people really do ignore Mark LeVoir in these kinds of discussion.

He looked very promising in 2008 when he stepped in, and the same last year. The guy could start and play to a high level if given chance, IMO.

Not a criticism of anyone in particular, but I think people really do ignore Mark LeVoir in these kinds of discussion.

He looked very promising in 2008 when he stepped in, and the same last year. The guy could start and play to a high level if given chance, IMO.

If he can get it done I'm all over him, I just wonder why he wasn't used when the O-line was getting pimp slapped by various teams. If BB used Kaczur when Robert Mathis was throwing him like a ragdoll instead of throwing LeVoir into the game that seems to indicate that the injured Kaczur is more effective than LeVoir.

I just don't feel that RT is as much of a priority this year as other positions - WR, Pass-Rusher, SILB, CB, DE & Center - are this year. I'd rather wait until the 6th/7th rounds before drafting a RT-only.

Youth + talent at WR & Pass-Rusher MUST be addressed by the end of the 2nd round. Tackle is one of the very few positions on this team wherre we have any quality depth at all.

How effective will the team be if Brady gets smacked around and abused by opposing defenses? How many more seasons will he play if he continues to be beaten up like he was this past season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3