PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me how those picks were reaches and explain how that was a silly trade. Mayo could have gone at 11 to the Bills, 12 to the Broncos, 15 to the Lions, 19 to the Eagles... you get the picture. There was a run on CBs right after the Patriots selected Wheatley, there is no evidence to support that he could have or would have made it past any of those teams that selected a CB after the Patriots in the second round. They traded one of three third rounders this year for a second next year and filled a hole in the draft for 2008 - the fifth round. How is that silly? And Crable is a good pick.

The only actual player selected today that is a head-scratcher is O'Connell, but he's a player that has upside and could be a future starter for (knock on wood) whenever the Golden Boy hangs up his platinum cleats.

Sensible people see a draft that has already netted three players at the three biggest positions of need heading into the draft (all of whom are talents at their positions, or capable of providing a spark with the talent they possess now while working on chinks in their game) and a back up QB with upside.

Yes, lousy draft. :rolleyes:

Agreed. The only pick you can really slam in my eyes is the O'Connell pick. You look all over the draft and there a lot of so called reaches and real reaches. Mock drafts do not neccessarily reflect how people really feel about players. Otherwise, a guy like Dan Connors wouldn't have been selected in the 3rd round when most mocks had him as a late first.

Oy, I have nothing to say... I eat crow, I can't believe I made that mistake... :bricks:

I'm a writer too. Shamed...

Still, my point is valid. And for a man who basically idolizes BB in his sig, you're awfully quick to claim you know more than he does ;)

1.) I idolize no man

2.) This is why people should read the threads they are posting in:

1.) It's too high a pick for Mayo

2.) How many Tennessee linebackers are excelling in the NFL?

3.) Clady was available. He's now in Denver. That's a bad thing.

As I said, I'm torn. I trust Belioli, but I think this pick sucks. My guess is that Belioli's superior knowledge makes this the right move, and that history will prove that. It doesn't mean I have to like it right now.

The notion that this team is beyond criticism is simply ridiculous. The notion that I claimed to "know" more than Belichick does is just flat out wrong.

The only actual player selected today that is a head-scratcher is O'Connell, but he's a player that has upside and could be a future starter for (knock on wood) whenever the Golden Boy hangs up his platinum cleats.

Brady = Joe Montana.
O'Connell = Steve Young.

Bye Bye Beau Bell Binky :D

Except you don't point out the obvious. You make an ignorant statement based on an invalid comparison.

Just because the ignorant and uneducated who put together the prospect sites think a player is rated as such and such, doesn't mean that the Patriots feel the same way. Why is that? Because the Patriots use their OWN scouts. As I pointed out, there have been plenty of "reaches" by the Patriots. But, more often than not, the players have produced.

Watson, Wilson, Branch, Mankins, etc... Yes, I know about players like Johnson, but they are the exception.

DaBruinz, you were wrong yesterday and you're wrong today. But, then again, that's nothing new for you.

Last edited:
I like the QB pick. Cassel is not starter material which means if Brady ever went down (god forbid) for any length of time, it would crush a season. We need a top flight back up and this kid looks like he could be one. I still don't like the trade though ;).

1.) I idolize no man

2.) This is why people should read the threads they are posting in:

The notion that this team is beyond criticism is simply ridiculous. The notion that I claimed to "know" more than Belichick does is just flat out wrong.

There are 500+ posts in this thread... forgive me for not memorizing them all.

And where have I ONCE said that this team is beyond criticism? All I've said is I'm reserving MY criticism for when I see how these players perform on the field.

We came into this draft needing to get young at LB and DB. We've done that. Just because we didn't do so with the players YOU wanted (not BB, not Pioli, not the Patriots, YOU), comes across as you claiming to know more than they do.

Orlando Scandrick, a high riser, I'm hoping is still on the board for the 4th

i was half kidding.

We all realize as Pats fans that he is the best QB of all time....but not one fan in here is not embarressed by Brady's antics in this offseason. its pretty shocking no doubt. perhaps you should get a sense of humor about life, your defense of Brady actually puts you under suspicion:singing:

The theory that they drafted him to keep him away from the Jets is scary. Waste a pick (this pick is a waste ....he will rearely if ever play for this team)

to make this pick to keep him away from the Jets is absurd imo.

If you think eating gelato and banging Bundchen makes your gender preference suspicious, I'd say you don't know what the freak you're talking about. I'd wear a dashiki, tip my stylist $50, drink soy milk lattes, dance the mambo regularly, if I could have Bundchen.

Some people will just never be happy... Looks at the value of this trade. There was NO loss for the Pats here if their guys were already off the board. We move up 15 or so spots AND add an additional pick? And that's not good enough?

Wow...

Actually, they are a little slow, like a year. Because next year at this time they will be WA-Hooing the mastermind for getting (fill in the space). Then again, there might be more moaning as BB turns it into a #1 in the next draft.

There are 500+ posts in this thread... forgive me for not memorizing them all.

And where have I ONCE said that this team is beyond criticism? All I've said is I'm reserving MY criticism for when I see how these players perform on the field.

We came into this draft needing to get young at LB and DB. We've done that. Just because we didn't do so with the players YOU wanted (not BB, not Pioli, not the Patriots, YOU), comes across as you claiming to know more than they do.

No, it comes across as a fan opinion. I'm not the only one who's not thrilled with the draft at the moment, and a bunch of idiotic homers attacking people who dare point out the obviously questionable nature of the draft isn't going to change that. When people have to justify the picks, they are questionable. It doesn't mean the picks won't pan out. However, you know as well as I do that if Belichick had taken this quarterback in the first round, people here would be still be finding ways to justify it and insulting those who question it.

Last edited:
Jets fans did want O'Connell, they're ticked off that we took him. I just ran across some of their draft threads.

You know what, the kid is a late bloomer, he's tall, with a big arm and obviously he'll have time to develop and we had to develop one, I had zero confidence in Matt Cassell and Gutierrez is still a complete project. I like the pick. Yes it was surprising, but I like it.

Well they are picking guys who (by NFL.com analysis) compare to guys already on the team. They say Wheatley compares to Hobbs and O'Connell compares to Cassell. Hmm...

What is a "Reach" by whose opinion.
Plain and simple the Patriots should absolutely pick who they think is the best value for their system based on their scouting.

Would you like them to pick based on ESPN, CNNSI.com or Pat Kirwan?

I give them good grades for having the balls to pick who they think will be best for the team and not to win the PR war and get an "A" from John Clayton.

Thoughts on these guys?

Kellen Davis
Jack Ikegwuonu
Orlando Scandrick

How about Jamie Silva in round 5? and Bernadeau in 6?

Still some optiosn out there.

WAR JAMIE SILVA!

Any very athletic guards who could be projects to challenge Wesley Britt?

Also, I would be very excited if Jack Williams fell to us.

Last edited:
If you think eating gelato and banging Bundchen makes your gender preference suspicious, I'd say you don't know what the freak you're talking about. I'd wear a dashiki, tip my stylist $50, drink soy milk lattes, dance the mambo regularly, if I could have Bundchen.

she just lays there like a dead fish. ;)

No, it comes across as a fan opinion. I'm not the only one who's not thrilled with the draft at the moment, and a bunch of idiotic homers attacking people who dare point out the obviously questionable nature of the draft isn't going to change that. When people have to justify the picks, they are questionable. It doesn't mean the picks won't pan out. However, you know as well as I do that if Belichick had taken this quarterback in the first round, people here would be still be finding ways to justify it and insulting those who question it.

What's obvious to you is idiotic to others, so don't claim someone is a homer for questioning your reasoning in judging this draft to be sub-par.

I disagree with your opinion, but would be more willing to accept that as your point of view if you would provide some worthy rebuttal to a point of contention instead of picking apart someone's misuse of "no."

What's obvious to you is idiotic to others, so don't claim someone is a homer for questioning your reasoning in judging this draft to be sub-par.

I disagree with your opinion, but would be more willing to accept that as your point of view if you would provide some worthy rebuttal to a point of contention instead of picking apart someone's misuse of "no."

I've already done so earlier in the thread. As for your willingness to accept it as my point of view, who are you trying to kid? Are you or the rest of the homers assailing the people who agree with the picks and saying that they think they know more than Belioli and shouldn't be so condescending as to give the team a "good job" because it's arrogant?

Of course not. It's all about attacking those who dare to question the team. Well, I'm a fan, not a Stepford Wife. There are enough of those posting here already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST