PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guttierez & Cassel must be scratching their heads now.
Gimme Art Carmody, please.
If taking a qb in the 3rd is ok, then let's get a good kicker by the 5th.

Why did we draft Rohan Davey in 4th round in 2002 when Brady was still young? Ask you the same question now, with an older Brady.... We need depth at QB position.

I just threw up in my mouth a little...ok, Cassell is gone next year probably (not that he's ever done anything impressive and has even been so bad on occasions that we had to put our starter BACK IN) but does this mean they have absolutely no faith in Gut? In the 4th, this is what I can see Deus calling a reach. I'm absolutely thrilled with the first 3 picks, but as far as "need" goes this one baffles me. I'm sure down the road I'll feel ok about it depending on what happens in rnd 4+ but I still have to look at the 3rd and think, we could have had some contributing talent here...maybe not every down guys, but contributing talent is available in the 3rd round - but I have to assume a rookie has almost no chance of contributing at the QB position barring major injuries so why stretch here?

Reach for no-nothing mock draftersin the first, reach for no nothing mock draftersin the second, silly trade in which the Patriots were given a free 5th round pick for the privelege of moving up 15 or so spotsin the third, quarterback in the third.....

And people will still attack others for pointing out the questionable nature of this draft.

There, fixed that for you.

I will not even try to defend the QB pick though. you have me there.

Reach in the first, reach in the second, silly trade in the third, quarterback in the third.....

And people will still attack others for pointing out the questionable nature of this draft.

A reach of a post. The first 3 picks look very solid, especially based on need. And crying 'reach' is only germane relative to typical NFL scouting. That's not what the Patriots do. If they like a guy, they draft him so they can get him. How many drafts will it take for people to understand this? How much of a track record does one of the best drafting teams in the league need to compile for people to understand this.

Jaws was just raving about his PASSING. It isn't too shabby that he is 6'6" 235 and ran a 4.55.

Hmm I believe MV is one of 3 things let's play shall we?
1. A true blue Patriot fan with no respect for the best QB any team could hope for.

2. A delusional schizo who just mutters things to himself, masturbating constantly as he writes nonsense with his keyboard.

3. A Troll probably a jet fan.

Ok if you guessed 2 and 3 you win the prize.
Tell them what they won Jonny
A winning football team now go get your shinebox jet troll!

i was half kidding.

We all realize as Pats fans that he is the best QB of all time....but not one fan in here is not embarressed by Brady's antics in this offseason. its pretty shocking no doubt. perhaps you should get a sense of humor about life, your defense of Brady actually puts you under suspicion:singing:

The theory that they drafted him to keep him away from the Jets is scary. Waste a pick (this pick is a waste ....he will rearely if ever play for this team)

to make this pick to keep him away from the Jets is absurd imo.

Reach in the first, reach in the second, silly trade in the third, quarterback in the third.....

I question the pick of a QB in the third round, but this reaching stuff is bogus. People have blasted the Patriots for reaching on players like Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Ben Watson, Deion Branch, Asante Samuel, and Logan Mankins. All those players were considered reaches when the Pats drafted them. All turned into good picks.

Fact of the matter is that the Pats had Mayo as their number one target going into the draft. Michael Holley said as much on Friday. He even said the Pats would trade down to between 10-13 to get him. If the Pats got the guy they were targetting in round one, how is that a bad thing?

Mike Mayock had Wheatley as the 64th best player and the Pats drafted him 62. And 90 of his top 100 were drafted in the top 100. That is impressive.

Last edited:
ESPN loved the QB pick....now I'm worried ;)

Reach for no-nothing mock draftersin the first, reach for no nothing mock draftersin the second, silly trade in which the Patriots were given a free 5th round pick for the privelege of moving up 15 or so spotsin the third, quarterback in the third.....

There, fixed that for you.

I will not even try to defend the QB pick though. you have me there.

When insulting someone about knowledge, it's probably best to be able to spell the word "Know". Then again, you calling someone a "no nothing" for pointing out the obvious shows that it is you who are the "know nothing" anyway.

Embarrassed by Brady's off-season antics? Don't be silly. Who cares?

Jaws was just raving about his PASSING. It isn't too shabby that he is 6'6" 235 and ran a 4.55.

Mike mayock loves the pick too. Jaime Dukes didn't like it though.

When insulting someone about knowledge, it's probably best to be able to spell the word "Know". Then again, you calling someone a "no nothing" for pointing out the obvious shows that it is you who are the "know nothing" anyway.

Oy, I have nothing to say... I eat crow, I can't believe I made that mistake... :bricks:

I'm a writer too. Shamed...

Still, my point is valid. And for a man who basically idolizes BB in his sig, you're awfully quick to claim you know more than he does ;)

Maybe BB after seeing his QB gets mauled in the SB wants some insurance just in case it happens more frequently in 2009.

I know I would not trust Cassell with running this team,Despite his little play and not so good play at that, I have never had a good feeling about him,I think this O'Connell kid might be the future at QB or at least the #2 when Cassell hopefully moves on next season.

Oh,and BTW - With this pick I think its Bye Bye Guiterrez,its been nice knowing you

Show me how those picks were reaches and explain how that was a silly trade. Mayo could have gone at 11 to the Bills, 12 to the Broncos, 15 to the Lions, 19 to the Eagles... you get the picture. There was a run on CBs right after the Patriots selected Wheatley, there is no evidence to support that he could have or would have made it past any of those teams that selected a CB after the Patriots in the second round. They traded one of three third rounders this year for a second next year and filled a hole in the draft for 2008 - the fifth round. How is that silly? And Crable is a good pick.

The only actual player selected today that is a head-scratcher is O'Connell, but he's a player that has upside and could be a future starter for (knock on wood) whenever the Golden Boy hangs up his platinum cleats.

Sensible people see a draft that has already netted three players at the three biggest positions of need heading into the draft (all of whom are talents at their positions, or capable of providing a spark with the talent they possess now while working on chinks in their game) and a back up QB with upside.

Yes, lousy draft. :rolleyes:

An interesting pick, I like the increased competition at reserve QB.

Some off the wall thoughts: O'Connell was 6'5" 225 at the Combine where he ran 4.61/40 and had a 7.01 3-cone. A couple throw it at the wall and see if it sticks thoughts - could he play WR? A friend has suggested TE, he's light for that; however, imagine an H-back who throws and sees the field like a QB... Unlikely, but this is BB. :D

Except you don't point out the obvious. You make an ignorant statement based on an invalid comparison.

Just because the ignorant and uneducated who put together the prospect sites think a player is rated as such and such, doesn't mean that the Patriots feel the same way. Why is that? Because the Patriots use their OWN scouts. As I pointed out, there have been plenty of "reaches" by the Patriots. But, more often than not, the players have produced.

Watson, Wilson, Branch, Mankins, etc... Yes, I know about players like Johnson, but they are the exception.

An interesting pick, I like the increased competition at reserve QB.

Some off the wall thoughts: O'Connell was 6'5" 225 at the Combine where he ran 4.61/40 and had a 7.01 3-cone. A couple throw it at the wall and see if it sticks thoughts - could he play WR? A friend has suggested TE, he's light for that; however, imagine an H-back who throws and sees the field like a QB... Unlikely, but this is BB. :D

We've found our new TE!

I'm getting the feeling that the Patriots don't care what I think.:cool:

Branch just went off the board.:(

Like most , I was abit surprised by taking a QB in the 3rd. Thinking it over though, Cassell is a goner anyway after this year as a FA (and was passed over by Matt GUT a few times in sub situations when Brady went to rest on the bench during blowouts). So obviously Bill & Pioli obviously don't think Cassell has IT. So Pats do need a good 3rd QB for next year 2009 (and next years QB class is supposed to be VERY weak).

Finally, the last time Pats had 4 QB's on the roster - that worked out pretty well for the 4th QB on the roster. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe