Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the NFL make the regular season 18 games?

• Yes

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 92 85.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is absolutely no chance whatsoever they drop 2 preseason games without adding 2 regular season games. You may want to talk about it in theory, but it simply isn't even remotely within the realm of possibility.

It's clearly within the realm of possibility.

Why don't the owners just axe two preseaon games and keep the season ticket package price the same? I mean, I know ticket prices on the actual ticket will go up, but you're still playing the same price in the long run. Then $70 tickets turn into $78 tickets; owners keep their money, players lose two meaningless games, and the fans pay the same $1400 per ticket for the season.

It would also be two fewer preseason game checks that owners would need to cut for the players. Of course, there's only so much price raising that can be done on an individual ticket. That's the issue. It may not matter in New England, but it will matter in Tampa, Jacksonville, etc....

Here's what is going to happen:
The players will be bought out, eventually selling their support for the 18 game format.
The league will implement it in 2012.
It will be a huge success.
Everyone who opposed it today will love it and claim they supported it all along.

Here's what's really going to happen:

The first two predictions may unfortunately be right;
but the last two predictions are dead effin wrong.

It's clearly within the realm of possibility.
What color is the sky on your world? There is no way whatsoever the owners drop 2 pre-season games unless they get to add 2 regular season games. It would be like giving away free money.

It would also be two fewer preseason game checks that owners would need to cut for the players. Of course, there's only so much price raising that can be done on an individual ticket. That's the issue. It may not matter in New England, but it will matter in Tampa, Jacksonville, etc....
The players don't get paid for preseason games. Well, they actually get a flat rate of something like $1,000 each (no matter how much their contract is worth). So let's just say that the amount of money the players get paid for preseason games is so small, it amounts to virtually nil.

i have to admit i like the NFL as it is now, today: 16 games / regular season are ok

Here's what's really going to happen:

The first two predictions may unfortunately be right;
but the last two predictions are dead effin wrong.
I tend to agree with the first two...the players will lose that in bargaining..and Goodell will rule..for teh good of the game IT MUST happen sort of thing..and it will NOT AT ALL be for that reason..MONEY and such..and expanding foreign and it will make it more one of what team is injury free as opposed to the BEST team....worse than it is now...To me seeing 2nd stingers play in important games makes me think it is less of a season..and really does NOT make the football at all better. But I do not see the players standing up...too much pressure..and..Goodell wants this in his cap....no chance here. As to 2012...I think that is where changes will be made 11..seems like the lockout..OR not enough time to implement..
A huge success?? Not sure more games..doesn't MEAN better football..not by a long shot..success as in ratings?? well always BETTER ratings than preseason but does ONLY THAT make it successful?? I think..a lot will depend on what they do about other issues...it could be really poor.
NO..this last statement is not going to be true..there are valid reasons to not like this..and I do not think it will be thatw ay. Maybe some will do that but others know how the quality of football will go down and not Goodell speak suvvess unless it is real.

I can fully understand the NFL commish wanting to push this 18 game season through, because he is a jerk.

However I must admit I am very disappointed in Bob Kraft's cavalier attitude towards the player's safety. In fact I cannot remember ever being disappointed in Bob Kraft before he started pushing this 18 game idea. Hopefully he will come to his senses when he hears more from the players and fans.

These players almost all end up with bad injuries for life from this game, which is a choice they make in exchange for fleeting fame and fortune. However the 18 game season is an idea the players are against, and rightly so.

I don't think anyone would notice if the last preseason game was dropped off the schedule. I would rather see another round added to the playoffs with more byes at the top and more participation at the bottom. The scramble for the last tournament positions is the most interesting phase of the season to me. Having more byes for the best records would keep those teams playing longer too.

- Reduce preseason to three games starting one week later
- Move the bye to week 1 for everyone (just give the teams an extra week)
- Start the playoffs a week earlier
- Play the pro bowl at the same location as the superbowl the day before

And start the games at 4:00pm EST.

I can fully understand the NFL commish wanting to push this 18 game season through, because he is a jerk.

However I must admit I am very disappointed in Bob Kraft's cavalier attitude towards the player's safety. In fact I cannot remember ever being disappointed in Bob Kraft before he started pushing this 18 game idea. Hopefully he will come to his senses when he hears more from the players and fans.

These players almost all end up with bad injuries for life from this game, which is a choice they make in exchange for fleeting fame and fortune. However the 18 game season is an idea the players are against, and rightly so.

The more we know about concussions, the more we realize that playing football is not good for you. I love the game the way it is but I have to avoid thinking about the physical wreck that many of the players become long before reaching my age. I can still do just about anything but most ex-players can't.

I disagree with Kraft bigtime on the 18 game regular season and I also disagree about the $ mania driving overseas games. I do realize that ownership will push and push until, perhaps too late, they realize that they screwed the pooch.

Last edited:
If we go to 18 why not 20? How about 22? Where do we draw the line? Tom Brady's played this game for a decade. He says it's a bad idea. I've never played the game, I'll take his word for it.

the veteran players in the league better be especially mindful of these developments. The longer they make the season, the more it will wear on their bodies over the years. This will favor younger players, who are cheaper and easier to control with their initial rookie contracts. If I were the players, I would try to negotiate free agency after 4 seasons (and no rookie contracts exceeding 4 years) and removing the franchise tag. Whatever the owners want (more money, more games, rookie payscale), I would use that to negotiate for the previously mentioned items.

Last edited:
If we go to 18 why not 20? How about 22? Where do we draw the line? Tom Brady's played this game for a decade. He says it's a bad idea. I've never played the game, I'll take his word for it.
So when the players union signs on to an 18 game season, are you going to take their word for it? Or do you only agree with players when they echo your own sentiments?

There's something you should realize about collective bargaining. Each side wants to make every single concession seem like that end of the world. The players are going to want something in exchange for going to an 18 game format. So what do you expect them to say right now during the negotiation phase? "Hey, we all want 18 games so we should do it immediately!"

Last edited:
If I got to choose as a fan, I would want them to just drop the 4th preseason game and replace it with a bye week. I really don't care much for the fourth game as much since I can't keep from looking forward to the next week. I end up worrying about injuries rather than enjoying the game. I'd much rather have the bye week there for teams to get their rosters set and to implement the last of their schemes/formations/plays in preparation for the regular season.

I think sometime in the near future the league will get its wish with an 18 game season. It'll probably go something like this:

League: Hey players, you're getting too much of the revenue pie. We need to cut your salaries.

Players: You're not cutting our salaries, we need to feed our families. Find another way.

League: If you're not going to help us cut our costs then you need to help us increase our revenue. How about you play 2 more regular season games each year, but you don't get a raise.

Players: Hmmm... give us a cut of the extra revenue and we have a deal.

Then the two sides will agree to some compromise where the league gets more revenue from two games, and the players get a small raise but small enough that their portion of the total revenue pie is still smaller than it was.

I think that the 18 games would mean more injuries, and more fatigue later in the season. But how many people were against the idea of a 16 game schedule?

Surely the first season might be a bit hard on the players, but I am sure coaches and players will quickly acclimatize to the extra games by the 2nd season, with some lagging behind and being used to it by the 3rd season.

Also, all rookies have to get used to the extra games in their first season, and are usually fine with 16 games in their 2nd season, so wouldn't the idea just be like a rookie year again, without getting used to the playing style again, just the length of the season?

I think that the 18 games would mean more injuries, and more fatigue later in the season. But how many people were against the idea of a 16 game schedule?

Surely the first season might be a bit hard on the players, but I am sure coaches and players will quickly acclimatize to the extra games by the 2nd season, with some lagging behind and being used to it by the 3rd season.

Also, all rookies have to get used to the extra games in their first season, and are usually fine with 16 games in their 2nd season, so wouldn't the idea just be like a rookie year again, without getting used to the playing style again, just the length of the season?
the 16 game schedule came at a time when there were 6 PRE SEASON games...which were way too many...THAT was the big issue..cutting down on them. There was no way even at that point of getting out of the 20 games...so obviously 2 were added...and that made sense. 6 were too many. 16 made it a longer season..but it seemed OK and has been a good balancing point even now. Players are a bit fatigued by the end..but it seems like its inevitable at 16 games and more play offs...BUT..THIS is a LOT better than 6 preseason games..but here is where I think think it's balanced..18 and 2 is not at all. Used to it?? It will shorten careers I really believe..I think it will have a large impact on careers and not for the better..there's a vertain drop off point..a saturation point and it's met at 16..going to 18 I really think will change things drastically... Just saying they will get used to it doesn't at all make sense..for teh larger picture and the quality of the game.. Goodell wouldn't know a quality game if it was shoved in his face..MORE is better...MONEY is better.. when teh whole thing goes down the tubes..Goodell's stupidity will be front and center. His myopic view of things is typical of one who does not get it.

the 16 game schedule came at a time when there were 6 PRE SEASON games...which were way too many...THAT was the big issue..cutting down on them. There was no way even at that point of getting out of the 20 games...so obviously 2 were added...and that made sense. 6 were too many. 16 made it a longer season..but it seemed OK and has been a good balancing point even now. Players are a bit fatigued by the end..but it seems like its inevitable at 16 games and more play offs...BUT..THIS is a LOT better than 6 preseason games..but here is where I think think it's balanced..18 and 2 is not at all. Used to it?? It will shorten careers I really believe..I think it will have a large impact on careers and not for the better..there's a vertain drop off point..a saturation point and it's met at 16..going to 18 I really think will change things drastically... Just saying they will get used to it doesn't at all make sense..for teh larger picture and the quality of the game.. Goodell wouldn't know a quality game if it was shoved in his face..MORE is better...MONEY is better.. when teh whole thing goes down the tubes..Goodell's stupidity will be front and center. His myopic view of things is typical of one who does not get it.

I agree that it will most likely cut the careers of players shorter, but I think that younger players may adapt to it, and have careers that are of average length.

I do not think that 18 game season is a good idea, I was just stating what I thought would happen if it did.

I agree that it will most likely cut the careers of players shorter, but I think that younger players may adapt to it, and have careers that are of average length.

I do not think that 18 game season is a good idea, I was just stating what I thought would happen if it did.
Not sure why the rookies would adapt better or have even average careers...I think injuroies will play a larger part in everything..I think there will have to be rule changes and also other things needed on the developmental side. Two games cuts a LOT of that out and while most fans think what difference does it really make, I think coaches will miss the 2 preseason games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft