PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 Seed - (merged playoff speculation threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you kiddin' me?......Playoffs?

And they'll probably be facing better QB's than Rex Grossman, Dan Orlovsky and Tyler Palko in the playoffs.

You're right..lets just be negative and expect the worse.

btw, dont bother responding with the classic "I'm not being negative, I'm jus being realistic" response..because thats the same thing

None of the AFC teams are that strong. Playing the Packers/Saints in the SB would be a different story, but I'm sure Belichick would be happy to be in the position to have to gameplan.

I'm sort of lowering my expectations and hoping for just one playoff win this year. They'll probably have to play the Jets again, hopefully they can just beat them.

I am extremely confident that New England Patriots will make the playoffs.

You concerns are more warrented towards there ability to win playoff games than actually making the playoffs.

"One game at a time.... sweet Jesus..."

Oops... channeling my inner Tebow. :D

It has been announced, the Pats have just conceeded the season. Here is a snippet from the press release:

In an stunning announcement, the New England Patriots announced that they were conceeding the season and removing themselves from playoff contention.

"We all know how this is going to end," a despondent Bill Belichick announced in the press conference, "We no we have no shot. Might as well give the Jets a chance to win it all. Those guys are awesome."

In 2005, no one thought the Steelers would do anything in the playoffs because their offense was shakey. They won the Super Bowl.

In the 2006 season, no one gave the Colts a shot because they had the worst run defense in NFL history and an average running game. They won the Super Bowl.

In 2007, everyone thought the Giants were one and done because they stumbled into the playoffs. They won the Super Bowl.

In 2008, everyone thought the Cardinals were one and done because they were 9-7 in a horrible NFC West and were pathetic on the road. They went to the Super Bowl and almost won.

People need to get over this. When the second season starts anything can happen especially this year. I am tired of this pathetic loser mentality.

It has been announced, the Pats have just conceeded the season. Here is a snippet from the press release:

In 2005, no one thought the Steelers would do anything in the playoffs because their offense was shakey. They won the Super Bowl.

In the 2006 season, no one gave the Colts a shot because they had the worst run defense in NFL history and an average running game. They won the Super Bowl.

In 2007, everyone thought the Giants were one and done because they stumbled into the playoffs. They won the Super Bowl.

In 2008, everyone thought the Cardinals were one and done because they were 9-7 in a horrible NFC West and were pathetic on the road. They went to the Super Bowl and almost won.

People need to get over this. When the second season starts anything can happen especially this year. I am tired of this pathetic loser mentality.

You left out the 2001 SB winner.

I want to have faith, I honestly can't see this D stopping a playoff caliber team.

Lets look at it rationally.

Can they limit the Jets?- yes

Can they limit Houston with a rookie Qb in January in Foxboro?- yes

Can they limit Flacco who doesn't have the receiving corp he once did who by all accounts is having an off year?- yes

Can they limit Denver?-yes

Can they limit Pitt if Big Ben can't move in the pocket?- yes

Can any of those offenses match up with NE?- Not really.

We need to stop thinking that the defense MUST shut down people and start thinking how the defense can keep he points scored against them to a reasonable amount.

If they face GB or NO in the SB, surely they will allow more than 30 points. The question is can Brady and Co score more on that day.

I want to have faith, I honestly can't see this D stopping a playoff caliber team.

The Pats will most likely be one and done again this season and quite frankly, Bill Belichick has no one to blame but himself. This one is on him.

Find better scouts, implement a better scouting system, more checks and balances among management and please....for the love of G-D -QUALITY OVER QUANTITY come draft day.

btw, dont bother responding with the classic "I'm not being negative, I'm jus being realistic" response..because thats the same thing

It's a very legitimate concern, playoffs are right around the corner and it's something that should be able to be discussed on this board.

Can they limit Flacco who doesn't have the receiving corp he once did who by all accounts is having an off year?- yes

We need to stop thinking that the defense MUST shut down people and start thinking how the defense can keep he points scored against them to a reasonable amount.

If they face GB or NO in the SB, surely they will allow more than 30 points. The question is can Brady and Co score more on that day.

Sorry, but this is a guess. You have no idea who they can, and can not limit. Rex Grossman looked like Montana. This secondary will be the death of the team. The safeties are a frickin' joke. Unless the pass rush is AMAZING - it's one and done in the playoff's. Playoff teams are better than Indy and Washington, FYI.

How can some of you not be concerned by this? Damn.....wonder what it's like to live in a world where your house is made of chocolate, you ride a unicorn to school, lunch is gummie bears and at recess you get a trophy everyday. Dear L-rd.

Last edited:

You left out the 2001 SB winner.

I left them out only because they were the #2 seed that year. I was focusing on teams that didn't get the bye and had to win three games to get the playoffs. The Pats were underdogs because they were perceived as being an overachieving team without talent, but they were the best or second best defense in terms of points allowed in the second half of the season that year.

You could have just as easily answered no to most if not all of those.

Re: #1 Seed - Very Little Chance

Upstarter has it right, one win next week and the Pats could easily be the number 1 seed. So the heading of this thread is completely backward. It should read - Despite Troubles, Pats Still In Hunt For Number One Seed.

SD will beat Baltimore, count on it. It's typical of how the Chargers have played the last few years - great when it doesn't matter. Hosuton will lose before the season is out, they nearly lost to a shaky Cincy team yesterday.

Tebow, eh, he won last night because Barber ran out of bounds, and then fumbled. Pats won make that mistake. And judging how well the Pats eventually worked the protection for Brady against two excellent rushers on the Redskins, I'm less worried that they will struggle with Miller and Dumervil.

Last edited:
This should not have been merged with the #1 seed thread, they're different topics. How Pat fans feel about the team going into the playoffs can't be it's own thread? I bet I know who moved it. Whatever, signing off anyway.

Sorry, but this is a guess. You have no idea who they can, and can not limit. Rex Grossman looked like Montana. This secondary will be the death of the team. The safeties are a frickin' joke. Unless the pass rush is AMAZING - it's one and done in the playoff's. Playoff teams are better than Indy and Washington, FYI.

How can some of you not be concerned by this? Damn.....wonder what it's like to live in a world where your house is made of chocolate, you ride a unicorn to school, lunch is gummie bears and at recess you get a trophy everyday. Dear L-rd.

You do realize that Grossman threw for more yards in four other games this season. He had a higher completion percentage in 5 games this season. He had a higher QB rating in three games this season. Yesterday was not Grossman's best performance of the year. He played better against the Giants (21 for 34 for 305 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs), Seattle (26 for 35 for 314 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 INTs), and Dallas (25 for 38 for 292 yards, 2 TDs, and 1 INT).

This is the problem. It is the perception of Grossman that people are comparing yesterday's performance to and not the reality of Grossman this year. Grossman has the propensity to make big mistakes, but he has had some good games this year. He has had some far better games than he had had yesterday.

This should not have been merged with the #1 seed thread, they're different topics. How Pat fans feel about the team going into the playoffs can't be it's own thread? I bet I know who moved it. Whatever, signing off anyway.

You are probably to blame for that if the mod only read the title. Your title suggest the thread is about the likelihood of the pats making the playoffs although the content is about their chances in the playoffs.

The Colts were heading for 3-13 when Jim Mora, Sr. uttered those now famous words shortly before he got canned. We're right in the same boat - if you have zero perspective...

One day some of you will likely experience a 3-13 season and gain some.

Dude...homers like you crack me up. Being realistic...means being able identify and discuss the faults and weaknesses that this team has. Negative would be the inability to find anything good about the team.,,there aren't many on here that fall into that category. For example..anyone who were to say gronk sucks....is a hater or a jet fan. But at the other end of the spectrum are you rose colored, flag wearing, bubble blowing homers...that can never SEE OR HEAR anything critical of their team. Everything is perfect.......like "yeah our D gave up 470 yds and made a QB like Rex grossman throw on us like he was Aaron Rodgers....but so what..we won!" Now I am very happy that we won....but realize that come the playoffs...against better teams....those things and problems in this team.....are going to come back to kill us...peace out!

Wouldn't we be the #1 seed if N.E., Pitt & Balt end at 13-3 and Houston is 12-4 (Balt would win Div and we own tiebreaker over them)?

You could have just as easily answered no to most if not all of those.

If it makes you feel better looking at the negatives, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft