PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup anyone?

Not all of them are going to be on European standard, world class stadiums. Aslong as they are safe I see no reason why the worlds greatest game shouldn't be held in their culture. They will have some pretty good stadia anyways :confused: The Mokaba stadium should look tidy when completed as should the Mandela. Then you have the Mabhida which is massive as is Soccer City. The only thing to really worry about with the new stadiums is the quality of the turf/pitch.

The one thing that will annoy fans are those horns they had in the confederations cup last summer. I read they may be banned though....

They are for the most part decent stadiums visually and to play matches on...but still, the athletics track takes away some of the visual appeal the stadium would otherwise have just due to the look and due to the distance from the match it puts fans and media.

And great pitches and a lack of horns should be something we all can agree on regardless of what nation we cheer on. Can't argue with those two things :cool:

They definitely won't be banned, Sepp Blatter pretty much ruled that out.

I see lots of reasons why the world cup should not be held in SA, such as the high amount of gun crime. Infact just this week the leader of a White sumprecists group was assassinated.

I can just envisage something really bad happening.

The other hand a World Cup could be exactly what the country needs to come together...even if violence is still going to be a problem.

Frankly I believe they are going to be more afraid of fan violence then nationals' violence...

I see lots of reasons why the world cup should not be held in SA, such as the high amount of gun crime. Infact just this week the leader of a White sumprecists group was assassinated.

I can just envisage something really bad happening.

For me sport and politics shouldn't mix but I know it's not a perfect world. Eugene Terre'Blanche held views that don't belong in the 21st century and was hacked to death by black farmers he, funny enough, employed over unpaid wages.

While theres no doubting there is underground unrest I'd like to think the vast majority of good people will enjoy the occasion because that is the bigger picture. We can't live in fear man and maybe this event is what SA needs to boost it's reputation.

They are for the most part decent stadiums visually and to play matches on...but still, the athletics track takes away some of the visual appeal the stadium would otherwise have just due to the look and due to the distance from the match it puts fans and media.

And great pitches and a lack of horns should be something we all can agree on regardless of what nation we cheer on. Can't argue with those two things :cool:

Oh I agree, I personally can't stand stadiums where the fans are so far away from the field and that was one of my pet hates about the old Wembley. The play just seems isolated and as you say, the fans can't really interact.

Even though Liverpool will never see one under the current regime, when the questionaires from the club were going round asking the fans what you'd like the new stadium to have, alot asked to keep the fans so close to the field of play.

For me sport and politics shouldn't mix but I know it's not a perfect world. Eugene Terre'Blanche held views that don't belong in the 21st century and was hacked to death by black farmers he, funny enough, employed over unpaid wages.

While theres no doubting there is underground unrest I'd like to think the vast majority of good people will enjoy the occasion because that is the bigger picture. We can't live in fear man and maybe this event is what SA needs to boost it's reputation.

Any internal problems are going to disappear for the month or so that the World Cup is there...the real problems will come from the foreign hooligans and "fans" beating each other up both inside the stadium and outside.

On a related tangent: South Africa could do the unthinkable and use the World Cup to get in line to host an upcoming Olympics as it is widely believed that Africa is the strongest candidate continent to get the games over North America, Asia, or Europe so problems internally will be attempted to be kept to a minimum by the politicians, police, and even military so as to not affect Johannesburg's candidacy in 2020. The Olympic committee wants to put the games down there, and if things go smoothly internally they should be able to get it over any of the other candidates.

Oh I agree, I personally can't stand stadiums where the fans are so far away from the field and that was one of my pet hates about the old Wembley. The play just seems isolated and as you say, the fans can't really interact.

Even though Liverpool will never see one under the current regime, when the questionaires from the club were going round asking the fans what you'd like the new stadium to have, alot asked to keep the fans so close to the field of play.

Only drawback to "being close" is some stadiums try too hard to get them close are forced to go to unique and overly inclined angles to get them close...some of the nicest and closest views come at the expense of vertigo inducing angles in the decks(Santiago Bernabéu Stadium for a huge example)

Last edited:

:bricks:

I better have lots of aspirin on hand while watching the World Cup then. Those horns drove me freaking nuts last year during the Confed Cup. Yes I can understand cheering and making noise/chants/etc during games but those horns on the other hand are very distracting.

Any internal problems are going to disappear for the month or so that the World Cup is there...the real problems will come from the foreign hooligans and "fans" beating each other up both inside the stadium and outside.

On a related tangent: South Africa could do the unthinkable and use the World Cup to get in line to host an upcoming Olympics as it is widely believed that Africa is the strongest candidate continent to get the games over North America, Asia, or Europe so problems internally will be attempted to be kept to a minimum by the politicians, police, and even military so as to not affect Johannesburg's candidacy in 2020. The Olympic committee wants to put the games down there, and if things go smoothly internally they should be able to get it over any of the other candidates.

Only drawback to "being close" is some stadiums try too hard to get them close are forced to go to unique and overly inclined angles to get them close...some of the nicest and closest views come at the expense of vertigo inducing angles in the decks(Santiago Bernabéu Stadium for a huge example)

Theres alot of safety rails in the upper decks of the Bernabeu though but I guess if you are not too keen on heights it is a problem. Selfishly though I think it's fantastic.

The passion of the people out there is pretty cool.

Do we have any German national team fans here? The thread was entirely too long to find out :p

Podolski for life!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back