PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this be Colvin's last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With his 2007 cap hit at 6 million and 2008 at 7 million I can't see him sticking for that kind of money. His impact on the defense just does not justify that kind of cap hit. What do you think?

im sure we can get him to restructure..he had a great season last year..i expect bigger things now with Willie gone and him taking on more responsibilities. he wont be gone..he'll be asked to restructure but he does make an impact and last year was first year fully comfortable from the hip

I'm looking for him to have a big big year. He looked very very good last year, and he should be very explosive this year, great pass rusher.

Certainly can't tell.

With Willie gone and Colvin rehabing from a devastating injury, that decision will wait until his performance can be measured against their lack of replacements at that position.

It's a wait and see if there ever was one.

hes done rehabbing isnt he..he said he feels good..said it last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colvin needs to come up big in 2006. Or else...

Will this be Colvin's last year? No..unless????

Well if he has a good year or maybe even sometime soon, they will restructure and extend him a few years. I hope that happens!! That wil be just fine for all. The only way he is gone is if he doesn't restructure and since he has in the past, I think he understands it all and will...or if he basically is terrible this year. If anything, I think he'll be better!!! SO last year?? NOT!!

Remix 6 said:
hes done rehabbing isnt he..he said he feels good..said it last year.

My point is, he's rounded into form but I'm not sure if he's the man at OLB. He looked it then missed a lot of time.

With Willie gone he's got to be it, (as Willie was so often), or you have to wonder if he'll ever be as good as we thought when we signed him.

That's why I'm saying you can't tell now. This year's huge.

RayClay said:
My point is, he's rounded into form but I'm not sure if he's the man at OLB. He looked it then missed a lot of time.

Man, someone's a tough grader. Colvin looked dominant at times last year, and never seemed out of place. If he has completely "rounded into form," he could be a juggernaut.

primetime said:
Man, someone's a tough grader. Colvin looked dominant at times last year, and never seemed out of place. If he has completely "rounded into form," he could be a juggernaut.

I'm really not, just realistic. He had a possibly career ending injury. I'm sure you , like me were happy just to see him playing well.

When we acquired him he had great sack numbers, but it was unsure if he could be a complete linebacker in our system. He certainly seemed to have perennial all pro potential.

Would you break the bank on a long term contract now based on one full year back from the devestating injury.

Or do you think, like me, we'll know if more if he'll be a good linebacker or a dominant force after another year?

I don't think he was dominant player last year. I do think he could be.

primetime said:

I'm thinking at the 6M in 2007, with the cap inflation, he's a bubble case. Beyond 07, no way without a restructure. (I said this during other threads about McGinnest and Seymour. He's up there in the elite cap money category... well, I watch Richard Seymour. I'm a fan of his. And Colvin, sir, is no Richard Seymour.)

All that said, the best way for Rosie to grab a place in the lineup for a long time, and grab a restructuring most in his interest, is to turn in a huge year... I love watching players with contracts on the line!!!!

Prove me wrong, Rosie, prove me wrong... cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

PFnV

Misunderstood the thread. If he has big cap hits they could extend him, (restructure).

Another year will tell about his long term potential and make the decision easier or problematical.

for the moment i really hope he will have a good year - then let's see...

we need a good-perfect season from him absolutely

Rosie was signed as a FA to what Pastabelli deemed at the time to be a very reasonable deal for a quality LB - 6 years $25M or $4M+ per. Remember, Willie is getting $4M for 3 years at 34, and is only overpaid because of his age. Since then the cap has only gone up $27M with another $7M increase scheduled for next season. And Rosie's cap #'s are only the result of his restructuring twice already to let them push money forward in 2004 and 2005 and free up cap space back when they really needed it.

I don't think BB wants to spend his next offseason looking for a LB to replace the youngest bonafide veteran starter on his roster. We will need more like him, not less going forward. If the cap hits they engineered are a problem they will likely work out an extension to lower those cap hits by converting much of his salary into bonus.

MoLewisrocks said:
Rosie was signed as a FA to what Pastabelli deemed at the time to be a very reasonable deal for a quality LB - 6 years $25M or $4M+ per. Remember, Willie is getting $4M for 3 years at 34, and is only overpaid because of his age. Since then the cap has only gone up $27M with another $7M increase scheduled for next season. And Rosie's cap #'s are only the result of his restructuring twice already to let them push money forward in 2004 and 2005 and free up cap space back when they really needed it.

I don't think BB wants to spend his next offseason looking for a LB to replace the youngest bonafide veteran starter on his roster. We will need more like him, not less going forward. If the cap hits they engineered are a problem they will likely work out an extension to lower those cap hits by converting much of his salary into bonus.

Thanks for the clarification.

MoLewRox is quite correct, especially about Colvin being the youngest veteran, not a small point given the staus of the LB corps.

Colvin played very well last year. Late in the year he was often the best LB on the field - absolutely slamming shut his corner on running plays and flying around in coverage or rushing otherwise. Go back and check out some Nov./Dec. threads, I recall more than one noting Covin's rock hard play. He isn't going anywhere unless he sustains a major injury. Because of his willing restructing in the past, it's quite likely that much of his money for the next two years is already in his pocket and on the books whether he's cut or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick