PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Our Awful 2019 Passing Game Be Better in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Last time I checked 7th in points and 8th in yards out of 32 is not awful. Not the best, but not awful either, particularly given all the injuries we had at TE and WR. I say we struggle to get to that point this year with a new QB, mostly new WR, new TEs and no TB12.

I would really like to see our offensive line be healthier next season than last season.

a dependable running game could really help out a young qb.

PersoNlly, I believe that we get to the playoffs with a top 5 defense, top 5 ST unit, and an average offense (14-18).

Was our offense, with all the injuries worse than 18th? I don't think so. And, as I stated, all the units are improved except QB.
Last 10 games the O averaged 330ypg and 221 passing yds a game which would have ben 24th and 23rd respectfully and had a total of 14 offensive TDs

To your point, I also believe they can make the playoffs with a very average O but last year's sucked eggs

Hmm. Last time I checked 7th in points and 8th in yards out of 32 is not awful. Not the best, but not awful either, particularly given all the injuries we had at TE and WR. I say we struggle to get to that point this year with a new QB, mostly new WR, new TEs and no TB12.
Run those numbers for the last 10 games including the playoffs. Offensive TDs, passing yards, total yards and Tom's per game stats.

They tell a much different tale.

Teams can still be winning teams, even with an average passing game. Look at the Ravens in 2000, Pats in 2001 and Bucs in 2002. If the defense can be top 5 again, special teams plays well, the running game plays better, and our 2nd year players on offense make that jump, we can be a winning team.

I think if Stidham, Harry and Meyers make that 2nd year jump, plus we might even see Damien Harris play a part. Sanu, let’s see what he can do with a full year of learning the playbook and see if he can stay healthy. And I think they drafted those TEs to play them, not red shirt them. This could be an interesting offense.

Run those numbers for the last 10 games including the playoffs. Offensive TDs, passing yards, total yards and Tom's per game stats.

We were definitely trending in the wrong direction last year, but I still question whether we are going to be any better. A lot is riding on Stidham. Nothing to do but wait and see.

Teams can still be winning teams, even with an average passing game. Look at the Ravens in 2000, Pats in 2001 and Bucs in 2002. If the defense can be top 5 again, special teams plays well, the running game plays better, and our 2nd year players on offense make that jump, we can be a winning team.
Of the last 20 SB participants, only 3 were outside top 10 in offense.

1 & 2
2 & 4
2 & 3
1 & 3
1 & 19
4 & 10
1 & 9
11 & 10
3 & 9
10 & 12

Need to score points and at the end of last year, the NEP were scoring less than 2 offensive TDs a game.

I expect a lot of afc teams to play man coverage against us because they know we have no one that can beat corners over the top. Better hope to have a running game to set up the PA. The defense will be on the field a lot .

We were definitely trending in the wrong direction last year, but I still question whether we are going to be any better. A lot is riding on Stidham. Nothing to do but wait and see.
Agree. No idea we will be better.

It's clear to me Bill is riding with Stid in 2020. If he's great, he'll be planning 2021 w/ a franchise QB. If he bombs he'll be drafting one.

Last edited:
Hmm. Last time I checked 7th in points and 8th in yards out of 32 is not awful.
The passing game was between 15-18, not top 10. Stats like Football Outsiders and passer rating aren't perfect but are better than yards.

I don't expect it to be better this year, it should be worse as we saved about $25M by not re-signing the QB.

They always talk about the 'second year jump" when the game slows down for the players and they now know what they have to do to succeed. There was talk that by not drafting a QB it was a shot confidence for Stidham. Couldn't the same be said for the receiving corps. Was it BB's way of saying," I trust you guys to get healthy and step up"? My gut tells me that they will trade for a #2 or a #3 as they have the draft capital ( expect 3 compensatory picks next years, #3 for Brady (Alan Faneca rule no longer in effect with new CBA that previously limited a 10 year vet to a 5th rounder) as well as likely a pair of 4ths for Van Noy and Collins. There is some dispute among experts over whether there is a 4th pick in the 7th round... Above my pay grade..
Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap
Either way, the Patriots have 11 picks #1,2,3,3,4,4,4 ( 3,4,4 are compensatory)5,6,6,7 ( the extra 6th is from either Jets or Cowboys with Bennett trade and DT)enough capital to get a WR if they so desire or wait for cutdowns but then it is a lot tougher to learn the playbook... Look at the WR who were successful elsewhere but couldn't learn ti here, Ocho Cinco, Joey Galloway...etc.. Granted they likely wont open the entire playbook for Stidham but I'd like to see it sooner rather thna later if it happens..
Quite a few people say WRs really come into their own in the 3rd year. Of course Edelman waited till year 5

Agee. No idea we will be better.

It's clear to me Bill is riding with Stid in 2020. If he's great, he'll be planning 2021 w/ a franchise QB. If he bombs he'll be drafting one.
He just has to really like Stidham - or he thinks the team is really bad. They did not seem to have any doubt that Stidham would be the guy for 2020. Anybody they bring in now will likely be competing with Hoyer, not Stidham.

He just has to really like Stidham - or he thinks the team is really bad. They did not seem to have any doubt that Stidham would be the guy for 2020. Anybody they bring in now will likely be competing with Hoyer, not Stidham.
I do think he likes Stid and believes he has a shot to be good/very good. If he didn't they would have made a move or two.

Yes they do. Once the Patriots stopped playing league trash and started playing good teams last November, Brady’s passer rating fell to 78 over the rest of the way including the Titans game. That says all that needs to be said about the pass offense.

Well we signed Stidham's college teammate Will Hastings, 5'10 white WR that plays slot. He was originally a kicker but switched to Receiver. perfect Belichick prospect

To the injuries at TE and WR, I would add the injuries at FB and the OL.

I would be quite satisfied if I had more faith in the QB position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes