PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WhiZa's 8/22 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be right. He's shown flashes when returning kicks. That would be his ticket to the roster.

He also made an ill-advised punt return and fumble on a kickoff return in the first preseason game. Unless he's breaking off returns like Hester, I don't see BB putting up with that lack of ball security.

I did like CJ Jones last night, but Jackson looked good, too. To get an accurate gauge of Jackson we HAVE to see him on the first unit, with Brady throwing to him.

I did like CJ Jones last night, but Jackson looked good, too. To get an accurate gauge of Jackson we HAVE to see him on the first unit, with Brady throwing to him.

Which unfortunately won't happen until after the final cuts. So the question is, did BB see enough to make that worth the risk? I think the answer is yes, because we have some depth in case he doesn't work out.

I know Washington and Slater are going to make the team as special teamers, and I feel they could fill in as that 4th WR quite nicely. If Ventrone makes it (he should, as he can back up two positions), he too could provide some quality depth.

If Jackson can contribute this year, even the way he did as a rookie, he's worth keeping around for depth.

You may be right. He's shown flashes when returning kicks. That would be his ticket to the roster.

If Hobbs is the main returner, they can't keep both Slater and Jones on the roster. Personally, I still think both probably end up on the practice squad. Both Slater and Jones would have to show more value than returning kicks to stay on the roster barring one of them replacing Hobbs as the return guy. You don't keep a guy on the roster as a 6th WR/back up return guy.

If Hobbs is the main returner, they can't keep both Slater and Jones on the roster. Personally, I still think both probably end up on the practice squad. Both Slater and Jones would have to show more value than returning kicks to stay on the roster barring one of them replacing Hobbs as the return guy. You don't keep a guy on the roster as a 6th WR/back up return guy.

What about a 6th WR/S/KR?

We're not getting Wilhite on the PS. Cut him if you like - but you'll lose him. Despite the injuries at OL I thnk we can cut one of Yates, Flynn or Welbourn from your list and keep Wilhite. Has O'Callaghan practiced ? If not he could be PUPed.
I am not happy with the final 53 with the CB's right now nor the DE play. Sheppard can be had and so can Jerome McDougal who was supoposedly a bust but has been coming on and he is young. He looked fast last night (but then I would have too). We have an extra pick. Use it now. We don't have one starting CB. Bryant has just not looked good and Hobbs is a #3 DB. Wheatly plays 20 yards off. Wright was so, so and Green was too on the DE side.
Also Kaszur was pounded like a drum. How about RG for him.
DW Toys

Cut (17): Alexander, Aiken, Connolly, DeVree(26th), Eckel, Fifita, Martin(26th), Sene(26th), Shoate(26th), KSmith, Spach, SThomas, JWebster, Wendell(26th), CJJones, Ruud, Richardson

Well, I was right about the cuts, just not on the right day. I didn't realize that BB would cut the more experienced guys to probably give them a few extra days to find a new team. By now BB probably has a good idea what cuts he's making on the 30th.

With O'C going to IR i think that opens the door for Sene if Ross doesn't jump straight to the 53. Or they could even keep 3 TEs with Spach being the winner in that scenerio.

1) As you know, O'Callaghan is now gone. We only need 9 OL's anyway.
2) I don't think Cassell is making the team. I expect a free agent or perhaps Gutz
3) I would give the extra OL spot to Alexander (your toughest cut)
4) I'd keep Wilhite instead of Spann. Rookie 4th round draft choices don't get cut, especially when they've been injured.

QB (3): Brady, Cassel, O'Connell
RB/FB (5): Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Evans, Jordan
WR (6): Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Jackson, Washington, Slater
TE (2): Watson, Thomas
OT (5): Light, Kaczur, Britt, O'Callaghan, Welbourn
OG/C (5): Koppen, Mankins, Hochstein, Yates, Flynn

DL (6): Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, LSmith
OLB (4): Vrabel, A. Thomas, Crable, Woods
ILB (5): Bruschi, Mayo, Guyton, Izzo, Hobson
CB (4): Hobbs, Bryant, Wheatley, LSanders
S (5): Harrison, J. Sanders, Meriweather, Lynch, Spann
ST (3): Gostkowski, Hanson, Paxton

PUP (2): Neal, Ross
PS (8): Gutz, Ventrone, Stupar, Green-Ellis, Dillard, Wilhite, Redd, Adams
Cut (17): Alexander, Aiken, Connolly, DeVree(26th), Eckel, Fifita, Martin(26th), Sene(26th), Shoate(26th), KSmith, Spach, SThomas, JWebster, Wendell(26th), CJJones, Ruud, Richardson
IR: Williams, Clement, Stokes

Tough choices:
Hobson vs Alexander. In the end it came to Hobson's ability to play inside and out with lack of depth at the LB spot or else I would cut both.

Dillard vs Wilhite vs Richardson for 2 PS spots. Richardson is gone. Dillard has been playing better and Wilhite has more potential. Richardson goes into the shadows.

JWebster vs LSanders. Webster just hasn't been able to stay on the field.

SThomas and Fifta are tough cuts. Both have been solid contributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe