PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Too Bad Brady Can't Throw the Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In his first few NFL years, Brady couldn't throw deep well at all. He's improved in recent years, up to average among NFL starters, I'd say. If he were great at throwing bombs, our new WRs would be even more valuable. I don't think DBs are going to say "It's only Brady throwing, so I won't cover Moss deep" or anything, but this has always been Brady's biggest weakness, in my opinion.

In his first few NFL years, Brady couldn't throw deep well at all. He's improved in recent years, up to average among NFL starters, I'd say. If he were great at throwing bombs, our new WRs would be even more valuable. I don't think DBs are going to say "It's only Brady throwing, so I won't cover Moss deep" or anything, but this has always been Brady's biggest weakness, in my opinion.

Maybe we should trade Brady to the Raiders for JaMarcus Russell - He can throw the ball 85 yards! :rolleyes:

I don't think DBs are going to say "It's only Brady throwing, so I won't cover Moss deep" or anything, but this has always been Brady's biggest weakness, in my opinion.

Perhaps, but it's also true that Moss is perhaps the best WR EVER when it comes to adjusting to poorly thrown deep balls. Just look at his highlight reels. He's seen a ton of poorly thrown deep balls come his way, and his most spectacular catches, bobbles, and TD's come off them.

That's why his move here is full of so much promise. He one of a handfull of recievers that actually has the ablilty to make Tom Brady look good, instead of vice versa. Will he though? That remains to be seen.

Last edited:
bradys weakness isnt the deep ball its the 15 yd out pass.

I will never understand why some people think this.

No kidding...

...images of Bethel laying out against Seattle...post routes by Deion against Pittsburgh...Andre Davis and his 4.3 speed being overthrown...Patten and his 48 total receptions for 20+ yds...

Tom has never had receivers like he'll have this year. From average to below average, the new receiving corps should be among the top 2-3 in the league. Add this to 12's unsurpassed pocket presence and judgement, a great o-line, and back's who can catch and run, I can't wait to see the fireworks. But it won't be all bombs. As always, Brady will take what the D gives him.

bradys weakness isnt the deep ball its the 15 yd out pass.

Nemmie, is that you buddy??? LOL

The only weakness Tommy has ever had is lack of consistent high end WR's.

Nemmie, is that you buddy??? LOL

The only weakness Tommy has ever had is lack of consistent high end WR's.

That's what I've always thought but maybe it's the camera or stadium seating angles?????

I will never understand why some people think this.

Well, I am one of them. It certainly ISN'T because he doesn't have the arm for it. When he misses the long ball it is usally overthrown. Unfortunately I think he missed the open guy on the long ball way too often. The receivers COULD be a factor, but I don't know. He missed Caldwell open deep several times this past year.

I'm not really worried though, like I said, he does have the arm for it, and the work ethic to improve. Randy better be in good shape, because this off season, he is going to get PLENTY of running in when he and Brady work out. ;)

Last edited:
Didn't Brady have the best long ball % in the league during the 04-05 season?

ridiculous thread!

Well, I am one of them. It certainly ISN'T because he doesn't have the arm for it. When he misses the long ball it is usally overthrown. Unfortunately I think he missed the open guy on the long ball way too often. The receivers COULD be a factor, but I don't know. He missed Caldwell open deep several times this past year.

I'm not really worried though, like I said, he does have the arm for it, and the work ethic to improve. Randy better be in good shape, because this off season, he is going to get PLENTY of running in when he and Brady work out. ;)

Get out...must have been because he was so shocked to actually see him open...or because after taking so long to get off the jam he was 10 yards shy of where a really good WR would have been.

Brady's throwing to a spot. This year he might finally have a couple of wideouts with the total package of talent, speed, size and savvy to be capable of getting to that spot in a timely fashion.

this proves you are a classic, whiney, find anything to complain about red sox fan

Brady throws the deep ball fine. Perhaps you are confusing arm strength with ability to accurately complete a long pass. Brady can't throw the ball as far as some of the QBs in the league, but when it comes to live action and throwing the ball to a spot downfield, he's among the best.

I don't think he throws a great deep ball, too often it seems forced and like someone throwing a rock as opposed to a nice, easy lofted ball that drops in nicely . . . however he has had sh!tty deep threats. Bethel Johnson and Andre Davis have been his deep guys, Branch and Givens caught some deep balls but weren't real long threats. Give Tommy the offseason (although I am worried his arm may fall off ;)) to work with actual talented (Moss, Stallworth) deep threats and I think things will be fine in September.

Didnt Brady launch a perfect spiral like 60 yards to Branch for a TD against the Steelers in the 2005 AFCCG?

Brady throws the deep ball fine. Perhaps you are confusing arm strength with ability to accurately complete a long pass. Brady can't throw the ball as far as some of the QBs in the league, but when it comes to live action and throwing the ball to a spot downfield, he's among the best.

In his 1st couple years he competed in the post season NFL quarterback challenge. He WON the deep throw accuracy contest. I agree that he's well above NFL 'average'.

Didn't Brady win the long throw competition before the Pro-Bowl a couple of years ago? I don't think his arm has been the problem, it's been having the receivers who can't go out and get it.

Makes me think of Andre Davis against NO. Brady overthrew him at least 3 times on bombs in that game.

Didn't Brady win the long throw competition before the Pro-Bowl a couple of years ago? I don't think his arm has been the problem, it's been having the receivers who can't go out and get it.

Makes me think of Andre Davis against NO. Brady overthrew him at least 3 times on bombs in that game.

Yup Brady has the arm strength to throw the deep ball, it's just that some n00b posters like to parrot a myth to try to make themselves look smart. However it is having the opposite effect in this case. :D

Now in 2007 Brady will have some REAL deep threats in Moss and Stallworth.
The idea that Brady won't be able to take advantage of these guys due to the myth-conception about his arm strength is laughable to say the least.

Last edited:
You can bet that Brady will be practicing the long bomb every day for the next 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents