PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some nice Reiss q-hits on Pat culture, Lee scouting, BB record..

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Tom Brady sees similarities between Patriots' and Spurs' cultures

quotes:

TB:
"I think just that; we have a lot of veteran guys that played here and come back and talk to the linebackers, and talk to the running backs. Kevin Faulk has been around. Troy Brown has been around. All the linemen. Matt Light and Logan [Mankins]. Joe Andruzzi. Sammy [Morris] is in the weight room. Willie McGinest comes back all the time. Tedy [Bruschi]. Ty Law. Lawyer [Milloy]. Vince [Wilfork] comes back. It's great for everyone to see those guys and you realize you're playing for all those guys. You try to make them proud."
__

If recently signed defensive end Eric Lee (4 tackles, 1.5 sacks, INT last week vs. Bills) continues to contribute to the Patriots, the team might have to send a thank-you note to one of its all-time great players, Mike Vrabel. One thing I learned about Lee this week was that he didn't have much going for himself NFL-wise coming out of South Florida -- he hadn't been invited to the combine -- but Vrabel (then-Texans linebackers coach) had personally worked him out in the pre-draft process and that ultimately led to Lee signing with Houston as an undrafted free agent in 2016. If not for Vrabel, it's possible Lee might not have been given a shot to play in the NFL.
__

With the Patriots' victory over the Bills last Sunday, Bill Belichick improved to 273-127-0 in his career as a head coach, with his .683 winning percentage narrowly moving him ahead of George Halas (324-151-31, .682) and into the top spot among head coaches with at least 160 career victories. Don Shula (347-173-6, .666) and Curly Lambeau (229-134-22, .630) are next on the career winning percentage list.

Interesting that all those guys are popping in to Gillette like it was their local gym.

Pats lucked out that when Lee was able to get into the NFL he got stuck behind some pretty good horses in HOU. HOU depth chart was our friend there.

BB - Best Coach Ever. Red Auerbach, John Wooden territory - and still climbing!

Interesting that all those guys are popping in to Gillette like it was their local gym.

Pats lucked out that when Lee was able to get into the NFL he got stuck behind some pretty good horses in HOU. HOU depth chart was our friend there.

BB - Best Coach Ever. Red Auerbach, John Wooden territory - and still climbing!
I think that years after he retires, after lots more corrupt league and team BS comes to light, BB will be perceived as the greatest coach of all time. It will be noted that his year-to-year adjustments changed the game, not just by other teams copy catting, but by rules changes being implemented as countermeasures. Ultimately, his innovation over a broad spectrum, adaptability and consistency will become a model that coaches across all sports will strive for.

Well, a New York paper ran it so it must be the unbiased, unvarnished truth.

I really don't have an issue with the team's approach. They have ex players around the team at times, but they aren't allowed in the locker room to meet with the current guys. I don't see what the problem is.

I also see when Bill does take the time to talk to former players, to sit on the floor during their retirements, asks them to speak to the team during training camp, and praises them long after they're gone. Maybe it doesn't apply to Grogan, and maybe there's a reason, or maybe not. But there's definitely love for some guys, even if it doesn't extend to Grogan.

Look at Willie and tell me BB has no love for any former players.

I really don't have an issue with the team's approach. They have ex players around the team at times, but they aren't allowed in the locker room to meet with the current guys. I don't see what the problem is.

I also see when Bill does take the time to talk to former players, to sit on the floor during their retirements, asks them to speak to the team during training camp, and praises them long after they're gone. Maybe it doesn't apply to Grogan, and maybe there's a reason, or maybe not. But there's definitely love for some guys, even if it doesn't extend to Grogan.

Possibility there is a distinction between one of his former players versus just a former player. One of his former players will know what Belichick demands out of his players and what the program is about and will trust those former players to understand and work within that. Whereas a guy like Grogan wouldn't. Just speculating.

Possibility there is a distinction between one of his former players versus just a former player. One of his former players will know what Belichick demands out of his players and what the program is about and will trust those former players to understand and work within that. Whereas a guy like Grogan wouldn't. Just speculating.

I was wondering about that too, but I remember Reiss invited Mike Haynes to visit the team when they were in San Diego.

I believe I saw Clayborn visiting once too, though he played one season for BB in Cleveland.

Grogan never played for Belichick. Bill seems to like guys he knows. I don't think it's personal to Steve.

I was wondering about that too, but I remember Reiss invited Mike Haynes to visit the team when they were in San Diego.

I believe I saw Clayborn visiting once too, though he played one season for BB in Cleveland.

Haynes is in Canton. Might have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing