PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

scoring drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

naclone

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
what percentage of drives can we reasonably expect the pats to put up points with this offense?

I remember at its apex (2003, 2004) the Colts offense seemingly scored every single time they had the ball. Opposing teams tried to run the ball and keep their possessions to a minimum and sometimes even tried onside kicks early in the game just to get some kind of edge.

Is that the kind of team we'll be looking at in 2007? Let's assume we can score at will, do we have the defense that can get off the field if all our opponents game plan is to try to maintain possession?

Third down D and run stuffing might just be the key to the whole season.

it's generally measured with "points per drive" and www.footballoutsiders.com keeps this stat. PPD can be measured both in terms of offense and defense and there's no better stat to look at when you're looking back over a season (mainly because it factors out a great defense that gives you lots of opportunities to score)...time of possession is a good normalizing factor (long sustained scoring drives that result in fewer points than blitzkrieg offenses but can be just as dominating)....obviously you need to take strength of schedule into account and make some sort of adjustment (which FO doesn't do), but the raw rankings are still a heck of a lot better than fantasy stats that ESPN likes to flash around that basically mean nothing by themselves.

I'm sure we'll trend up this year in PPD....PPD spread (differential between points scored per drive and defense points allowed per drive).

what percentage of drives can we reasonably expect the pats to put up points with this offense?

I remember at its apex (2003, 2004) the Colts offense seemingly scored every single time they had the ball. Opposing teams tried to run the ball and keep their possessions to a minimum and sometimes even tried onside kicks early in the game just to get some kind of edge.

Is that the kind of team we'll be looking at in 2007? Let's assume we can score at will, do we have the defense that can get off the field if all our opponents game plan is to try to maintain possession?

Third down D and run stuffing might just be the key to the whole season.

Lets assume we won't score at will agianst top ranked Defenses like Baltimore,Dallas (who is really supposed to have a very solid defense this year) and San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes