PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB 49 Belichick non timeout call -- different perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give BB benefit of doubt and believe he had a strong intuition and he was in a state of nirvana with the football universe. Because if you are using your logical side of brain there is no explanation except for it being ridiculous to not call a TO.

The Pats routinely win games by affording the other team the opportunity to make more mistakes than they do. Carroll said after the game he expected Belichick to call a timeout. Not calling it was the logical choice to keep the heat on the opposing sideline which at that point in time was indeed looking somewhat chaotic. As such the idea of revisionism doesn't quite hold up when viewed through the 'limit their options and let them shoot themselves in the foot' lens that from years of experience we know The Hoodie views things from. In retrospect it was a classic Belichick/Sun Tzu moment and shouldn't have surprised us at all. Like many people watching it I started out screaming for him to take the TO but then realized why he wasn't and began arguing the point with others as it was happening, of course it wasn't a long argument lol.

Last edited:
Reading all the discussion on this point really gives me the feels. The Atlanta comeback was more overall "epic" but I think the Seattle SB win is probably still my favorite. Slaying their incredible defense with a 10-point comeback in the fourth, the almost heartbreaking miracle catch by Seattle late in the game, and then the seeming impending doom with Seattle knocking on the end zone's door and Butler snatching victory right out of the jaws of defeat, which still feels like the greatest Patriots play we'll ever see... and then Brady getting them offsides right after and making them just BREAK mentally and start throwing fists. Damn, what a game.

The important thing here is that BB had the guys ready for the exact play Carroll called, knowing Lynch was the obvious go to. Whether he was baiting them into the pass or not, he obviously had some level of anticipation for the play Carroll called or they would not have made that play and would not have lined up with 3 CB's at the one yard line. There's simply no way for BB to be completely psychic in that situation, but he had an idea a play like that was very possible as it was practiced for.

well like it or not, it will ALWAYS remain debatable whether it was the right call. If they had scored, the Pats would have needed a FG to tie. Brady with 56 seconds and timeouts that would have been totally doable. (tough b ut doable) So no matter what anyone says calling time out there would have been a "right call" as well.
The right call is defined by one thing: results.

It was the right call.

Why is it "greedy" (or any other negative motivation) rather than just a calculation that for the last drive of the game, he didn't want to put the ball back in Brady's hands to win a SB, vs. have the ball in the hands of his own QB?
Well I'm not sure it's negative as most coaches want to bleed the clock and score, maybe aggressive is a better word? It's just tough to do when your down a TD imo...

Here's how I see it. Based on the anecdotes from both BB and his assistants during the Do Your Job documentary, people were asking Bill if he wanted a timeout, and he said no. His explanation, is that he saw some chaos on the Seahawks sideline and didn't want to bail them out of it by calling a timeout. If you choose to believe that is revisionist history, that is you right, but consider this: That means Belichick essentially froze up in a critical moment during a Super Bowl. While I'm not going to say that's impossible, what do you think is more likely given his history and personality? That he wanted to and SHOULD have called a timeout, but just DIDN'T because of some brainlock? Or that he went with his gut (which is fed by 40+ years of experience) and ended up being correct?
It's mosslost. Of course he thinks Bill lost it.

Dont necessarily agree with it, but i can understand playing a bit of chicken there. thankfully butler made an incredible play. Seattle may have appeared confused, but i never agreed with passing the ball being a horrible playcall. 999 times out of 1000 that is an incompletion at worst even if the defender read the play perfectly. The chances of lynch fumbling the ball there is probably just as likely, it was just an INCREDIBLE play by Malcolm. So usually at worst it’s incomplete and Then its 3rd and 1 with a timeout left and the clock stopped so you still have the option to run at that point.

I don't really care. Believe whatever you want to believe. Whatever crazy theory or reasoning. Belichick is a genius, got lucky, read petes mind etc. We won. That's all I care about.

This is totaly not true. He could have called timeout with 1:00 on the clock. If they had run it in with 16 seconds left on the clock it would have gone down in history as one of his worst blunders ever.

I disagree. Am pretty sure Lynch gets stoned at the LOS. On the previous play, Hightower went through an OL man to make the stop. Also, if you look at the Butler play...check out how Wilfork blew open that OL on that snap.

I disagree. Am pretty sure Lynch gets stoned at the LOS. On the previous play, Hightower went through an OL man to make the stop. Also, if you look at the Butler play...check out how Wilfork blew open that OL on that snap.
not really sure what you are disagreeing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST