PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

No, it’s because he constantly sought value at the WR position instead of talent. An exception was Cooks a couple years earlier. Actually gave up a first rounder for talent. Not a perfect WR but still had a 1000 yard season for us. Then the when he was coming off his rookie contract they traded Cooks. They got value back in that trade but not talent
Cook was due for a big payday, and they made the right decision because the guy was never a true #1. It's why the Saints moved on from him.

I would've preferred that they kept drafting WRs. BUT the WRs they had during these runs were plenty good enough. Some of them were more talented than Cooks, if you ask me. I thought both Brandon Lloyd and Brandon LaFell gave us more than Cooks. But when you coupled them with Welker, Amendola, Edelman and the two TEs (before the murder spree), I'd say there was little need for more WRs. And with Brady, you had some all-world performances from people like Hogan and Mitchell.

We should've devoted draft picks to rookies starting in 2019.

Yes I'm speculating.

When is that you believe Brady made the final decision?
"I wasn't going to sign another contract even if I wanted to play until 50"

Clearly I believe this coincides with when the no franchise clause was granted. but it's possible the decision was made sooner perhaps even before winning SB53 but I think you can see the obvious reasons why I think these 2 things coincide.
I believe both sides played the PR game by saying they wanted to work out a deal but really had no intentions of working with each other in 2020.

Can't prove it but I believe it to be true.

I believe both sides played the PR game by saying they wanted to work out a deal but really had no intentions of working with each other in 2020.

Yes but when was this decided? I have no doubts that following the 2019 season in January and February of 2020 he wasn't going to sign another contract even if It was until 50. The question is when did Brady come to this conclusion. Because what I am talking about is the during the 2019 off-season and prior.

Amendola was a crybaby. Slater: we trust our coach, it's his call.

Amendola was always disgruntled because of his contract
Also Slater:

"Seeing how the game was transpiring, it’s like, ‘Well, man, we kind of need him in there right now. Can we get him in there to stop the bleeding?'”

Not accurate.

Tom said he was not signing another deal with the Patriots.

Remember all the countless threads and posts about the timing of, who was responsible for, and how it could've worked, with Brady staying (leaving)? Turns out we were all wrong. It was never about the contract.

This series finally makes it clear, that Brady wasn't staying, because of Belichick. There were 2 options for Tom to stay:

1. Belichick was going to change, or
2. Belichick would be replaced.

Neither one was happening, and Tom knew it. Kraft chose Belichick, and has lived to regret it.

There's enough fog in this story that no one knows the true answer.
There is no fog. Your brain is the only one that's foggy. We all watched the players and owner say it in front of the camera the way it went down.

Remember, Brady showed up on Stephen Ross's boat long before August, and if he was already making deals with Ross (and he hoped Flores) there's no one to put the genie back in the bottle.
This is why you have ZERO credibility. You keep on repeating this LIE, despite both the NFL and Flores stating the Ross meeting happened, AFTER the season was over. That would put it sometime in January 2020, after the WC game.

You continue to lie about everything in a desperate attempt to re-write history. If this series did anything, it was to make you look like an even bigger CLOWN than you already are. Lol

They were never going to find anyone better than Cam. They had no cap room. They decided to take all the dead money and dump it into that year. Personally I thought it was a smart move because it was the 1st Covid year and a lot of players said they wouldn't be playing that year anyway. Might as well take your medicine. But obviously no one was coming to play QB for New England for $1m.

Also find it funny that the same people criticizing Belichick for not having a succession plan also criticize him for HAVING a succession plan earlier (Garoppolo) as though Belichick was supposed to guess that Brady would still be playing at a high level when he joined the Bucs at age 43.
Dude, with every post, you look worse and worse. Someone that isn't on this snowflakes ignore list, please let him know. Dude is coming apart at the seams. Lol

Collins, Hightower and Dennard liked his post so they must have felt the same way.

It's the Super Bowl. For all we knew at the time that was the last SB BB would ever coach. It's not the time to flex your power and send a "message" to anyone. Butler should have played, and we know the guys replacing him weren't up to the task.

If there was a problem with Butler you play him, win the game which they very likely would have, then after the game tell him to clear out his locker when he gets back to Foxboro. It shouldn't have been hard or controversial.
The entire locker room was against what Belichick did. When you hear Slater saying what he did, you know it was unanimous.

Butler was a UFA after the game. There wasn't a need to do anything. He was already a gonner, unless you wanted to embarrass him right before FAcy.

The series makes this obviously true.

Yes but when was this decided? I have no doubts that following the 2019 season in January and February of 2020 he wasn't going to sign another contract even if It was until 50. The question is when did Brady come to this conclusion. Because what I am talking about is the during the 2019 off-season and prior.
I think Brady made the decision after Super Bowl LIII in the 2019 offseason based on the available indications:

1) The "contract extension" signed in 2019 was purposefully designed to allow Brady to hit free agency in 2020 with 2020 and 2021 being void years while preventing the Patriots from using the franchise / transition tags.
2) Kraft in the series gave to protocol that he gave Brady a promise that he'll facilitate him being able to leave if he wants in the 2018 offseason, meaning the 2019 "contract extension" was essentially Kraft making good on this promise.
3) Hoyer said recently in a podcast that Brady alluded to him in the 2019 offseason of being prepared to sit out the entire 2019 season shortly before the "extension" got signed.
4) Kraft also gave to protocol in the series that after Super Bowl LIII Brady realized that Belichick would be the head coach for the foreseeable future.
5) In the NFL's official investigation report on Stephen Ross' tampering, it's said that communications between the Dolphins and Brady began as early as August 2019.

Putting conjecture together I think the following happened after the Patriots won Super Bowl LIII:
• Brady's relationship with Belichick was irreparably damaged after 2017 and after they won Super Bowl LIII Brady probably felt (maybe for the first time ever) that winning did not provide any relief to his tensions and issues with Belichick.
• After the performance of the defense in Super Bowl LIII Kraft made it clear to Brady that following that performance he was either genuinely not willing, or too afraid of the public backlash, to move on from Belichick.
• Seeing this, Brady then started to explore his options and reminded Kraft of his promise to help facilitate Brady's exit from New England if he desires so, which he acquiesced to through that "extension".
• Then there's also Brady's attitude throughout the 2019 season, especially when he publicly described himself to be the most miserable 8-0 quarterback ever after the Patriots blew out the Browns. That was quite out of character for him as he was in this case publicly and explicitly putting himself above the team. To me back then it was quite a weird statement to make and not helpful at all in the quest to win another championship. Looking back, I think it's a sign that by then he mentally had already moved on which affected the degree of his commitment to the team.

This is just embarrassing.

I think Brady made the decision after Super Bowl LIII in the 2019 offseason based on the available indications:

1) The "contract extension" signed in 2019 was purposefully designed to allow Brady to hit free agency in 2020 with 2020 and 2021 being void years while preventing the Patriots from using the franchise / transition tags.
2) Kraft in the series gave to protocol that he gave Brady a promise that he'll facilitate him being able to leave if he wants in the 2018 offseason, meaning the 2019 "contract extension" was essentially Kraft making good on this promise.
3) Hoyer said recently in a podcast that Brady alluded to him in the 2019 offseason of being prepared to sit out the entire 2019 season shortly before the "extension" got signed.
4) Kraft also gave to protocol in the series that after Super Bowl LIII Brady realized that Belichick would be the head coach for the foreseeable future.
5) In the NFL's official investigation report on Stephen Ross' tampering, it's said that communications between the Dolphins and Brady began as early as August 2019.

Putting conjecture together I think the following happened after the Patriots won Super Bowl LIII:
• Brady's relationship with Belichick was irreparably damaged after 2017 and after they won Super Bowl LIII Brady probably felt (maybe for the first time ever) that winning did not provide any relief to his tensions and issues with Belichick.
• After the performance of the defense in Super Bowl LIII Kraft made it clear to Brady that following that performance he was either genuinely not willing, or too afraid of the public backlash, to move on from Belichick.
• Seeing this, Brady then started to explore his options and reminded Kraft of his promise to help facilitate Brady's exit from New England if he desires so, which he acquiesced to through that "extension".
• Then there's also Brady's attitude throughout the 2019 season, especially when he publicly described himself to be the most miserable 8-0 quarterback ever after the Patriots blew out the Browns. That was quite out of character for him as he was in this case publicly and explicitly putting himself above the team. To me back then it was quite a weird statement to make and not helpful at all in the quest to win another championship. Looking back, I think it's a sign that by then he mentally had already moved on which affected the degree of his commitment to the team.
After watching this series, I can't disagree with any of this. It's probably a good summary of how things played out.

A few points of clarification:

1. It is true that MIA was reaching out to Brady as early as August 2019, but it was via text from Bruce Beal, a friend of Tom. I only mention this because the clown in this thread keeps saying Brady met with Ross on his yacht before the 2019 season began, prior to August. That's not true. The yacht meeting that Flores referred to was in January 2020, after the season was over.

2. Brady's attitude during 2019 was palpable. You could see it in his reactions on the sidelines, etc. Despite that, the team went 12-4, and won the division. We all know what happened that season: N'Keal, Gunner, Meyers, AB, Gordon, Sanu, Jules (13 dropped passes that season). It was a mess.

According to the series, Belichick and Brady were no longer talking. Explains a lot.

I don't take Amendola's word for anything and never have, since he's been at it for many years now.

Slater said he trusted the coach on this one.

And yes, given the stuff that's happened before Super Bowls in the past for other teams, you'd think players wouldn't mess up before the big game, but instead it happened constantly.

Watching those two individuals for many years here, If you believe Bill Belichick's public words more than Danny Amendola's, then there are many Nigerian Princes ready to email you offers for money.

Hell - - Belichick is LITERALLY caught in a lie to the interviewer onscreen at 29:52 of the episode. :rofl:

This is the same head coach who stonewalled Kraft on Hernandez and continued to argue for Antonio Brown even AFTER his harrassment emails to a woman were made public the week after he got here. Don't even get me started on how many times he overlooked Josh Gordon walking out on the team. So please spare us the sanctimony of him benching Butler 10 minutes before kickoff of SB52 (btw, they DID have Butler running drills with the first unit on the field that night in pregame - if this was a real "plan" shouldn't Eric Rowe been getting those reps?).

And you cleverly cherrypicked Slater's sandwiched quote on the subject in the episode.

The sentence preceding the part your referenced Slater says (at 26:31) "As players, I know that we all felt that Malcolm should be out there"

At 28:06 he continues "Seeing how the game is transpiring is like 'well man we kinda need him IN there right now - - can we get him in there to stop the bleeding?"

Once again, if he planned not to use Butler in SB52, why did he not activate a very useful Alan Branch??? Blount torched the Pats straight up the middle (gee, who could've helped there???) for 90yrd on 14 carries (6.4 avg) and 1 TD that night.

Belichick should have been ****canned that night before the last piece of confetti dropped. He was a mad genius - - and he encompassed both words of that term. Yes, the Patriots probably don't get the SB the next year - - who knows? But they would probably have kept Brady a few more years and they should have won SB 52 if he wasn't so "mad".

Those are objective FACTS. Not the opinion of certitude and conjecture you posted. It is what it is. If you want to close your eyes and believe your conjectures, go ahead. But most of us aren't buying the creative conjecture your selling. The FACTS don't back you up.

Last edited:
We actually gave up picks for Demaryious Thomas, traded for Phillip Dorsett, brought on Josh Gordon, picks for Antonio Brown, a 2nd rounder for Mohamed Sanu, we used our first on N'Keal Harry, and we still had Julian Edelman!
Sorry, but that 2019 offseason was among Bill's worst and most negligent offseasons. Had he put some real solid effort into that, they easily repeat in 2019.

Thomas and Brown were both free agents and not traded for. Thomas was released then quickly re-signed, only to get traded out of nowhere. That was a bad move given he knew the offense. We all know Brown was released.

Phillip Dorsett was re-signed for whatever reason as well.

Re-signing a guy (Josh Gordon) who walked out on the team during the previous season was not a wise move. He was of course released later in the season.

They signed Maurice Harris (mini camp hero) only to get cut.

Oft injured Bruce Ellington was also signed and cut.

Signs Cameron Meredith. He never played.

Uses only ONE draft pick on one of the best WR classes in quite some time, but takes the wrong one.

Trades high draft capital for Sanu. Proceeds to make a non agile WR a sitting duck returning a punt he's only done once or twice in his career and gets his ankle blown out.

They ended the season with Edelman, Harry, Meyers and Dorsett as the worst graded WR group PFF has ever seen since they started grading WR's in 2006.

Cook was due for a big payday, and they made the right decision because the guy was never a true #1. It's why the Saints moved on from him.

I would've preferred that they kept drafting WRs. BUT the WRs they had during these runs were plenty good enough. Some of them were more talented than Cooks, if you ask me. I thought both Brandon Lloyd and Brandon LaFell gave us more than Cooks. But when you coupled them with Welker, Amendola, Edelman and the two TEs (before the murder spree), I'd say there was little need for more WRs. And with Brady, you had some all-world performances from people like Hogan and Mitchell.

We should've devoted draft picks to rookies starting in 2019.
Cook signed for an average value of just over 16k in a 5 year deal. Not a crazy deal. Far better than Loyd or Lafell and a true outside receiver. Never a top 10 receiver in the league but a setter outside the hash receiver than what the Pats have had since they traded him.

I would've preferred that they kept drafting WRs. BUT the WRs they had during these runs were plenty good enough. Some of them were more talented than Cooks, if you ask me. I thought both Brandon Lloyd and Brandon LaFell gave us more than Cooks.
Not even close. Cooks has eclipsed 1,000 yards a season half of the time in his career. Llyod has had one fluke year. LaFell is in the Sanu mold as a decent #2 to #3. Cooks had one of his worst 1,000 seasons and was still better than Llyod or LaFell during their time in NE. Cooks paired up with Edelman, Amendola and Hogan would've killed it in 2018.
Cook signed for an average value of just over 16k in a 5 year deal. Not a crazy deal. Far better than Loyd or Lafell and a true outside receiver. Never a top 10 receiver in the league but a setter outside the hash receiver than what the Pats have had since they traded him.
He signed for $16M per season and $50 guaranteed. Not sure if the $50M was total or fully guaranteed and where the contract ranked at the time, but the contract was met with skepticism.

Amendola was a crybaby. Slater: we trust our coach, it's his call.

Amendola was always disgruntled because of his contract
Wait. When was Amendola every a crybaby?

We actually gave up picks for Demaryious Thomas, traded for Phillip Dorsett, brought on Josh Gordon, picks for Antonio Brown, a 2nd rounder for Mohamed Sanu, we used our first on N'Keal Harry, and we still had Julian Edelman!

If this is what is deemed as coach doesn't care about giving his QB weapons, I hate to be in Mayo's shoes this year.

Not only did all of these WRs flame out, and Edelman got hurt, but we wasted an incredible amount of resources trying to run it back one last time by bringing in Veterans.

And even worse, we had 4 starters on our offensive line get injured, and as if that wasn't enough, the two backup tackles also got injured.

Sometimes you try things in the NFL and it's just not your year.
Lol "weapons" and guys who just so happen to play receiver are two different things. No one "gave up picks" for Thomas. He was signed late in his career for next to nothing along the lines of Tory Holt and Reggie Wayne. That "weapon" produced a deadly 400 yards for the Jets the year we traded him for a bag of balls at the end of the preseason.

The next "weapon" on your list, Phillip Dorsett, topped 500 yards in his career once and we traded soon to be journeyman, Jacoby Brissett, for him. Going into that 2019 season we declined his 5th year option and Dorsett posted a whopping (almost) 400 yards.

Josh Gordon we moved a back 100 or so selections in the 2019 draft to acquire in 2018 and after flaking out the year prior Bill decided to double down on him to be rewarded with 6 games and less than 300 yards. Then after going to IR he got released a few weeks later when after likely doing something stupid again.

The only weapon on your list outside of the already established Edelman, was Antonio Brown. We all know what happened there. Bill took a risk and it blew up in his face. The 2nd rounder for Sanu is an all time fleecing in the history of the sport and the geniuses around here tried to claim Brady made Bill do it when it turns out the two wouldn't even speak to each other at the time. We all know about the Harry pick and who went after him so yet another of Bill's blunders at the receiver position.

Bill spent a few years throwing crap at the wall hoping it stuck when it came to receiver and all he did was waste money, draft picks, and time trying to bring in guys who wouldn't work. I hardly call this an arsenal of weapons for Brady.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back